Need help with wet food for 4 cats

kaykay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Currently 3 of my cats eat California Natural dry and one gets wet food,usually Pet Promise. I am wondering if there are any wet foods appropriate for all of them. I would prefer fish and garlic free.
1)Morgan is 11 and has had slightly high kidney values.At last appt his creatine was normal,BUN was 39(range to 36) He goes back in a few months to have them checked again.
2)Shelby is 7 and seems to have a sensitive stomach. Was doing better on California Natural but constantly mooches the wet food.Also needs to lose weight(she's 17 pounds!)
3)Lexie is 3 and has history of UTI's and stones.No problem in over a year since she switched to wet.
4)Isabela is 6 and has no health issues!

Thanks a lot! Karen

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KayKay

Currently 3 of my cats eat California Natural dry and one gets wet food,usually Pet Promise. I am wondering if there are any wet foods appropriate for all of them. I would prefer fish and garlic free.
1)Morgan is 11 and has had slightly high kidney values.At last appt his creatine was normal,BUN was 39(range to 36) He goes back in a few months to have them checked again.
2)Shelby is 7 and seems to have a sensitive stomach. Was doing better on California Natural but constantly mooches the wet food.Also needs to lose weight(she's 17 pounds!)
3)Lexie is 3 and has history of UTI's and stones.No problem in over a year since she switched to wet.
4)Isabela is 6 and has no health issues!

Thanks a lot! Karen
I just wanted to say WELCOME TO THE FORUM NEIGHBOR! I live in Quincy
The link BLAISE sent you is very informative. I learned alot from here. I use too feed my cat strictly dry and no wet as well. Now she eats more wet then dry and is thriving.
Good Luck!

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you're having luck with cal natural...I liked their cans, but couldn't get my cats to touch them (not great, considering that I ordered a 12 can case
).

The lamb/rice flavor of authority (petsmart's brand) is fish/garlic free...I think...their other cans are good, but I think they all have some fish somewhere in them... They're also cheap... at .65cents a 6oz can here.

Friskies comes in big cans...13oz. It has by-products in most flavors and most do have fish somewhere in there, but at 70cents per 13oz, is cheap.

I like the EVO 95% line of cans...grain free and single protien source (mostly). Beef was my cats favorite, also come in chicken/turkey, venison, rabbit, and duck. chicken/turkey and beef are deacently priced ($19.49 for a case of 12, 13oz cans on petfooddirect), but the other flavors are pricey and when ordering online, you have to pay shipping.
BTW, they used to add garlic, but no more...also the "dog" cans are the same as the "cat" cans and can be somewhat cheaper depending on where you guy.

Natural balance is good as well.... Some of the flavors do not have fish in them...I think the chicken/liver pate, duck/pea, and vennison/pea are the three that do not. Turkey/giblets has it but is lower ingredient number.

Some wellness cans are grain free, some are fish free, and some garlic free...just have to read the labels. many folks swear by them, but my cats wouldn't eat it.

Newmans Own has some deacent cans...pricey for the ingredients (similar to authority IMO), some don't have fish but most do. I lucked up and got some on clearance at walmart for 45 cents a can
, they're normally $1.75 each here.

HTH,
Art

BTW, If you're looking into feeding all 4 of your cats wet on a regular basis, you might want to check out ordering online, as you can sometimes get better deals when ordering by the case. I have used petfooddirect and when they send out coupons (get on their email list) they will sometimes cover the cost of shipping... To do that though, I have to put in a big order at one time...about $100 worth of food...enough for 4 months for my three cats (eating one can a day). They carry both cal natural, EVO, and Natural Balance (as well as most other brands). You can also sometimes order direct from the dealer (I know eagle pack offers that option). I have also heard that you can sometimes wrangle a lower price at a retail store if buying 3-4+ cases, but I haven't tried that yet.

Another tip...Buy the big cans if you can... Cal Natural and EVO both come in 13 oz cans, whiche are loads cheaper than buying 2, 6oz cans... With EVO, I know this cut my cost to below $1 per 6oz...Where they are like $1.45-1.75 per 6oz can retail (or so I've heard, nowhere locally sells them here).

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
oops... Just realized that you have been feeding Cal. Natural DRY, not the WET... I was talking about their wet food in my post (although I have also fed the dry and my cats liked it).

Just make sure you read the labels on all 3 types of wet...not sure but I think all of them may have fish as an ingredient (they aren't as "allergy friendly" as the dry).

Art

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaykay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've printed out the article Blaise linked to-it's very informative! Have 10 pages left to read and then want to read about the overweight cats they slimmed down. Right now I'm thinking of trying Wellness and Nature's Variety.
Hi Regina! What brand of wet food are you feeding? Do you get it online or somewhere around here?
Thanks for all the advice!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My guys eat the 13 oz Eagle Pack cans. Not sure if garlic/fish free, can't even remember what flavors I get right now.

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KayKay

I've printed out the article Blaise linked to-it's very informative! Have 10 pages left to read and then want to read about the overweight cats they slimmed down. Right now I'm thinking of trying Wellness and Nature's Variety.
Hi Regina! What brand of wet food are you feeding? Do you get it online or somewhere around here?
Thanks for all the advice!
I feed Tessie Wellness Core dry and Wellness grain free wet. Best place to buy it is Pet Supplies Plus, I think they are the cheapest around.

Good Luck!