for soft paws users

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've heard people talk about this, even suggest it for me and honestly I've been a bit worried about trying it. To be honest it almost sounds mean, glueing little pieces of plastic on their nails. But its going to be about a month before I can make a cat tree, maybe a bit longer (not until classes end). So I was wondering if I can get some info from those who have used this?

First question is how does your cat seem to take having them on?

My cat is a indoor/outdoor cat, is this still safe for him? (though this might change with the snow, we'll see how he takes it)

Does it help alot?

How do you get the claws on without making a mess with the glue? (or without the cat trying to claw out your eyes)

The price really isn't bad for 4 weeks, this might be the way for me to go, atleast until classes end. Thank you for any help

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure I would put them on an indoor/outdoor cat.

Have you ever put on fake nails? Or watched someone else do it? Hardly cruel and pretty much the same concept. The key is not to use too much glue.
Hopefully your cat is behaved enough for you to handle his feet, if not this needs to be your first step. Then move on to trimming the claws.

juliejerks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about using them for in/out cats. Are there a lot of cats in your neighborhood? What if your cat gets into a fight outside, and is basically defenseless?

My cat has had her softpaws for a while. She doesn't mind them at all. Hasn't tried to take them off once since we put them on her. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be to get them on. I held her with one paw out at a time, and my fiance put them on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen any signs of Mai Sai fighting outside, from what I can tell he mostly goes out and explores, then hides in the bushes if he hears a car of sees another cat. That said he does love pouncing on little flying things (grasshoppers, flys, spiders ect.) and he loves to watch the birds in the trees, but I've never seen him try to climb a tree or attack a bird....But, of course, I dont watch him every moment he is out there...

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, my kitty goes outside too and although he does have a cat tree inside and uses it, i know that he uses trees and other things outside to have a good scratch on. Do you think that with Mai Sai being outside and scratching that that might be sufficient at the mo? O rhe is having a good go on your furniture
? I don't think that soft paws are mean to use but if he is going outside, I personally wouldn't use them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Althekitty

Hi, my kitty goes outside too and although he does have a cat tree inside and uses it, i know that he uses trees and other things outside to have a good scratch on. Do you think that with Mai Sai being outside and scratching that that might be sufficient at the mo? O rhe is having a good go on your furniture
? I don't think that soft paws are mean to use but if he is going outside, I personally wouldn't use them.
I think your probably right lol pity I was going to get him some orange ones for halloween (just kidding). the problem that Im having is the room mate's loveseat. He has gotten in the habit of scratching it, mostly when I get home from being gone all day, so he probably is just trying to get back at me, but my room mate has tried to hit him for it before, and she does slap her cat when she scratches (not hard, but enough to have some bad affects). I have tried talking to her about it, but I'm afraid if I push any harder there are going to be some real problems around the house. He is able to scratch my loveseat (which is a free give away from CL) and he has a scratching post, but its from when he was a kitten, so its not big enough anymore. But thank you, I think your right, maybe if I just ran him downstairs as soon as I get home it will be alright...