I'm making Calzones!!! Who wants one???

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been craving a cheese calzone since I got out of my Yoga class this morning, so I decided to try and make one! Now normally I'd just go across the street from my house and buy one from our local Italian place, but today I thought I'd give it a try myself and see how it turns out

So far so good! I've got my first one in the oven at the moment with just a few minutes left to go. I looked at a few recipes online and didn't see much I liked so I sort of just used them as a guide for the basics then tweaked it to add my own things!

I put FF parmesean, Asiago, Low Fat Ricotta, and FF Monzorella, black peppercorn and sea salt in it
For the crust, I used a whole wheat pizza dough recipe my sister gave me (it's yummy if any of you want it!) and I seasoned the top with parmesean, cilantro, basil, garlic salt, parsley, and apinch of olive oil.

I'll let ya'll know how it turns out! Hopefully it won't be too bad since this is my first attempt at a Calzone! I've got a ton of the cheese filling leftover in the fridge now, so if this one turns out good, i'm going to make more for my family for dinner!

Anyone else have a yummy calzone recipe? Please share

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We make an excellent New York calzone for the restaurants, that are sooooooooo good! I dont make them often because I can just them from the restaurant.

Let us know how yours turn out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

We make an excellent New York calzone for the restaurants, that are sooooooooo good! I dont make them often because I can just them from the restaurant.

Let us know how yours turn out.
Ohh those sound good!!! What makes them New York style Pam? Do you do anything special? They sound great!
I'm about to eat the calzone now! I'll let you know how it turns out!

I'm hoping the whole wheat dough will be just as good as the other enriched stuff!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my God
Soo gross!!!!! You guys do not want this trust me

For the record -please do not EVER think about using whole wheat flour for a calzone crust, it does not taste right!!!! Also, make sure the whole wheat flour you use isn't expired eithor....that probably doesn't help

I just called Milanos and ordered one of their calzones instead
So much for that! Next time I attempt it i'll just use regular fresh white flour (I was out of it and only had whole wheat today).
I did get a picture of it before I tried to eat it. It did look very pretty
It just didn't taste so good
The cheese mixture was good, just not the dough at all!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

I'm hungry! How long does that take to make?
Not long, but don't use my recipe
It wasn't good with the whole wheat dough! It took me about 10 minutes to prepare everything and put it together then about 15-20 minutes to cook because I made a big one.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

What makes them New York style Pam? Do you do anything special?
I call them New York style because thats what I think of when I think of calzones. New York Italians

Did you use any provolone cheese Nikki?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I call them New York style because thats what I think of when I think of calzones. New York Italians

Did you use any provolone cheese Nikki?
No, I didn't even think to use that! I do have some though but just slices- would that work next time I try? I used Asiago, Parmesean, Ricotta, & Monzorella cheeses.

The cheese combo actually tasted good- the dough was just horrible though! Aweful Aweful Aweful!

I already placed my order at Milanos so I guess i'm going there in a few minutes to pick up my new Calzone

What else do you put in your Calzone's Pam?

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mmm...I LOVE calzones.
I never tried making them myself, but I'll remember not to use whole wheat flour if I do!
Your combo of cheeses sounded great though!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was coming to put in my order for one, but I think I'll be ordering one from Pami instead!

The cheese mixture sounds like you could use it to make lasagne...if I were you, I'd pick up the rest of the fixings for that for dinner.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love calzones! I like the kind where the sauce is inside. I've noticed a lot of places don't put sauce inside. I had one recently from a restaurant near my house and it seemed like they just took plain pizza dough and filled it with mozarella-- didn't taste any spices or anything...

It's kinda funny, there is a pizza place which recently opened around here called Pizzeria Calzone and guess what-- they don't have calzones on the menu!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Russian Blue

Whole wheat flour is sometimes tricky to use. Usually, for me, it ends up being too dry. I still need to find a good recipe.

Sorry that the baking experiment didn't work out!
It tasted like cardboard
Now i've used it before to make a really yummy thin crust BBQ pizza recipe and it turned out fine- but today ohhh it was bad! I got to looking at the expiration date too (it apparently expired in March and I didn't know) so maybe that had something to do with it? I put EVOO, water,baking powder and the whole wheat flour in the dough (i didn't have time to use active yeast and let it rise) so I dunno! Next time i'm at the store ill just buy some regular flour!

Originally Posted by clixpix

I was coming to put in my order for one, but I think I'll be ordering one from Pami instead!

The cheese mixture sounds like you could use it to make lasagne...if I were you, I'd pick up the rest of the fixings for that for dinner.
I don't blame you! I put mine down the disposal
I wound up going to Milanos (this little Italian resturant literally down the street from my house) Their Calzones are sooo yummy
(Not like my attempt today
) Pam I'll have one of your Calzones instead as well!!

In a side note though, the cheese mixture was quite yummy though! And I guess great minds think alike- I already set it aside in the fridge to make a little lasagna or cassarole with it tomorrow
It's too yummy to waste!

Originally Posted by whuckleberry

Mmm...I LOVE calzones.
I never tried making them myself, but I'll remember not to use whole wheat flour if I do!
Your combo of cheeses sounded great though!
I love calzones too! I was craving one the entire time I was at Yoga class this morning

I think it would have tasted just fine if I would have used regular flour in the recipe instead of whole wheat- so yea, if you try it, stay away from the whole wheat unless your brave

Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Who wants one! Just one? Persi usually likes two.
Originally Posted by CoolCat

Nikki! what time can I fall you?...
Rigel you don't want my calzone - it was not good
If we're lucky, maybe Pam will fix some of hers and share

Originally Posted by Nekochan

I love calzones! I like the kind where the sauce is inside. I've noticed a lot of places don't put sauce inside. I had one recently from a restaurant near my house and it seemed like they just took plain pizza dough and filled it with mozarella-- didn't taste any spices or anything...

It's kinda funny, there is a pizza place which recently opened around here called Pizzeria Calzone and guess what-- they don't have calzones on the menu!
I've never had a calzone with the sauce on the inside! I have had olives, spinach, and pepperoni in them before though and that was good. I think my favorite is just the cheese calzones though- and I always dip mine in marinaria sauce

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you post about your wheat pizza crust please?
Or PM me

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Can you post about your wheat pizza crust please?
Or PM me
Sure thing! This one is yeast- free so it's good for people with yeast allergies or if you don't have time to let it rise.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 c. All purpose flour (you can find whole wheat at some grocery & health food stores)

1 1/2 c. wheat flour

1/4 c. corn meal

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt (i use sea salt)

1 1/2 c. water (you may need a little more depending on the dough) I only add 1/2 cup of water at first then gradually keep adding more until it's all mixed well

1-2 tbs EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)

- Combine the dry ingredients. First add water, then mix in the dry ingredients with hands until you get it to the right consistancy. (when you have it at the right consistancy, the dough will easily come away from your mixing bowl and form a small ball. - You can add more flour if it's too runny). I kneed the dough for a good 5 minutes or so then shape it onto a non-stick cooking sheet. I bake the crust for about 10-15 minutes at 400 degrees. When I take it out of the oven I put a really light coating of EVOO all over it!

When the crust is done, I add all of the sauces, cheese, and toppings, I want (this crust goes well with the ingredients for a thin crust BBQ pizza!). Once you add all the stuff to it, pop it back in the oven at 400 degrees again for another 10 minutes or so (watch it- your oven might cook different from mine)

When you take your pizza out of the oven, put another really light coating of EVOO just on the crust- it makes it really good!

(If you don't have all the ingredients for that recipe, this one looks yummy too! I'm planning to try it out the next time I make a pizza- http://www.wholesaletoyou.com/noname35.html