Please help - unhealthy cats, no matter how expensive the food I buy

luvmaikittehs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please I need help from other cat owners. I've been buying my cats expensive food (Wellness) because I figured it was better for them. well, my cats are ALWAYS sick. I adopted them from someone who was pretty irresponsible so I don't know their past history.
I feed them Wellness wet and dry, and alternate in Science Diet C/D dry. Am I not doing enough? Mow Mow is now throwing up, and pooping and peeing everywhere (something she only does when she has a UTI.), and drinking a ton of water. I'm taking her to the emergency room shortly but I was hoping for some advice from cat owners.

Can you please tell me:

1)\tWhat food youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve had success with treating UTIs (hard/dry/mix, whatever has worked)
2)\tWhat kind of litter you recommend
3)\tHow often you think I should change the litter, how many boxes for two cats
4)\tAny other advice you can give me that will help keep my cats healthy.

Please, my cats are my life, and Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll do whatever it takes to keep them healthy but Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m obviously doing something wrong. Thanks you so much, I really appreciate any input you can give me.

Thanks.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds to me like something is seriously wrong with Mow Mow. Sending mega

No one can tell you what food to use - it will depend on the individual cat.

General rule of thumb is 1 more litterbox than you have cats. Boxes should be scooped daily & changed every 1-2 weeks. (That's IMO) The litter you use depends on what you/your kitties like. I use Swheat Scoop mixed with Feline Pine scoopable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmaikittehs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Natalie. I'm leaving for the vet as soon as my bf gets home from work with the car.
I have two litter boxes, I obviously need one more, so thank you for that tip.

The food and litter are my two concerns, I have a feeling one ofthe two, or both are what's causing the issue. I've been reading the documentation on the site and I don't really see much that will help me in that area, so I'll have to see what the vet says. I think I'll start mixing with pine as well though, I've read good things. This is going to take work and money, but I'll do whatever it takes. I
my cats more than life.

Thanks again for your tips.

erzsebet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The food thing should be discussed with a vet. They might be able to tell you a better feeding program according to the needs of the sick kitties. Discuss with them what your options are. IMO the fact that you are alternating in wet food and dry food is a good thing for them

With the litter. For my with my two kittens I have 2 HUGE litter boxes on completely different sides of the apartments. One is behind a closet door for "privacy" and the other is also secluded but a little more in the open. They have become accustomed to doing the "big jobs" in the private potty and the smaller things in the open litter box. It has honestly worked out fabulous. I use feline pine dust litter (not the pellets) and Arm & Hammer Multi Cat Clumping Litter. So far that is the best combination I have found in litter. It makes scooping more efficient and less of a hassle. I scoop daily and clean one litter tray every other week.
I hope everything works out with you!!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try CatAttract litter, if the vet clears your babies of any medical issue - a lot of people, including myself, have had luck with that brand regarding box avoidance issues.

Re food, IMO while it's great to do research and try to get the 'best' you can get, the 'best' really will be what your babies enjoy and thrive on - whether that's Purina One, Wellness, raw, or Friskies! There are many healthy, long-lived cats doing well on all sorts of food - don't ever let someone make you feel badly about what you're feeding as long as you and your vet feel the cats are thriving.

Same deal with litter - cats can be picky, and you really end up using the litter they like, not what we like!

But, again IMO, what's most important now is that you get together with a vet you feel comfortable with and have a full physical done, so you know where your baseline is. Good luck at the vets.

luvmaikittehs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Erzsebet. I'm taking all of these suggestions with to me the vet.

I really appreciate your help!

luvmaikittehs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone!! I really can't thank you all enough. I'm taking this to the vet with me so we can find the best plan for my cats.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know how old Mow Mow is and when her last check-up was? If you have any medical history to take along to the vet that might help - but don't beat yourself up if you don't have any. The most important thing is you're giving your cats your love and your care - just go from there.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Cost is not necessarily equivalent with quality in cat food. Are you using the regular Wellness or Wellness Core (grain-free)? My cats were okay with the Wellness, but even better on the Core. I'm in the process now of changing them over to Taste of the Wild, another grain-free food. All of these cost more per ounce than the Purina food I was giving them before, but they don't need to eat nearly as much of it, so it evens out. The higher quality foods will have more meat protein and less fillers (corn, potatoes, etc.).

If your vet recommends a specific food for the cat with UTIs, go with that one.

for you kitties.

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The large amount of drinking always makes m e suspect diabetes. Please get some ketostix from the pharmacy to check the urine to see if sugar is spilling in. Please contact me if this is the case. I can help

What food you’ve had success with treating UTIs (hard/dry/mix, whatever has worked)
No dry foods. I would dump the cd.

2) What kind of litter you recommend
http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm

3) How often you think I should change the litter, how many boxes for two cats

If I am around, I scoop it out as soon as they go. I totally empty it and clean it out x a week. I would have at least 2 boxes for 2 cats

give me that will help keep my cats healthy.
My opinion but stay away from dry foods

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

What did the vet say?

Can you tell us more about your kitties?

How old are they?

How long have you had them?

What illnesses has each of them had?

When Mow Mow gets a UTI, does she have crystals also?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by optionken

The large amount of drinking always makes m e suspect diabetes. Please get some ketostix from the pharmacy to check the urine to see if sugar is spilling in.
Actually, depending on the type of stick, they can check for much more. Regular ketostix actually only check for ketones (not protein or glucose), which are a by-product created when stored fat is burned for energy. There are sticks that check for more, including protein and glucose.

Just a word of caution to you newer members, none of us here are vets nor do we have the knowledge or ability to diagnose or advise medical assistance. There are some folks with much experience in some areas, but they have that experience with their own animals. Just as each human responds differently to medications so may our pets so be careful about taking action based on member recommendations. Please use your vet as your advisor and use the information from members here relating their own experiences to provide you with questions to ask your vet.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Actually, depending on the type of stick, they can check for much more. Regular ketostix actually only check for ketones (not protein or glucose), which are a by-product created when stored fat is burned for energy. There are sticks that check for more, including protein and glucose.

Just a word of caution to you newer members, none of us here are vets nor do we have the knowledge or ability to diagnose or advise medical assistance. There are some folks with much experience in some areas, but they have that experience with their own animals. Just as each human responds differently to medications so may our pets so be careful about taking action based on member recommendations. Please use your vet as your advisor and use the information from members here relating their own experiences to provide you with questions to ask your vet.
Well put

My big ?? is did the vet say the cat could be off C/D?? YES there are Options other than RX for UTI but only the vet can authorize / advise that
what did the vet say

chris10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For UTI, "I" meaning infection, there is no food that will prevent this. This means that bacteria is getting around the bodies immune system and causes problems in the urinary tract. Basically means that the immune system needs some boosting to get fixed. Lysine can help.

For UT problems, the common thing in kitties are crystal formations, a high moisture diet imo is your best bet. A high amount of moisture dilutes the urine and produces unfavorable conditions for crystals to form.

As another member mentioned a high intake, meaning the cat drinks, of water can be worrisome. Sometimes meaning kidney problems or diabetes. But that's just what it could mean. Ask your vet about it.

Take care

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chris10

For UTI, "I" meaning infection, there is no food that will prevent this. This means that bacteria is getting around the bodies immune system and causes problems in the urinary tract.
UTIs can be caused by crystals in the urinary tract and diet can be used to prevent the crystals.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuvMaiKittehs

1)\tWhat food youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve had success with treating UTIs (hard/dry/mix, whatever has worked)
I had success with Purina One Urinary Tract Health (consult with vet first). I fed this food to my male Persian for 8 years after he kept getting UTI's and he never got another one.

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chris10

For UT problems, the common thing in kitties are crystal formations, a high moisture diet imo is your best bet. A high amount of moisture dilutes the urine and produces unfavorable conditions for crystals to form.
More moisture does dilute urine however doesn't prevent crystal from forming but flushes out tiny crystals before they adhere to bladder walls. The only way to prevent crystals to form is keep urine pH between 6.0 - 6.5.

chris10

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rone

More moisture does dilute urine however doesn't prevent crystal from forming but flushes out tiny crystals before they adhere to bladder walls. The only way to prevent crystals to form is keep urine pH between 6.0 - 6.5.
Three things must happen before crystals can form. Urine ph is either too high or low, a low volume of urine which leads to a high concentration of minerals in the urine. So a high moisture diet purges the urine ph and dilutes the concentration of minerals. And just like you mention a high moisture diet flushes out the urinary tract system. Again producing unfavorable conditions for crystals to form.

I feel this site provides some good info on urinary problems
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1&aid=2729

So why its important to incorporate a wet diet is because cats who eat exclusively dry food will only take in about half of the water they need a day. No matter how much water they drink.

Take care