Need advice: we're taking our kitty on a 3 hour car trip.

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a family cabin in the mountains of northern Utah. We're going up there for a long weekend this week and taking our new 8 month old male kitty with us. It's a three hour trip each way to the cabin.

We have a kitty carrier that we'll be putting him in for the trip (in a mini-van) but I'm concerned that he'll get sick.

What can we expect? Any suggestions?

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That really depends on the cat. Hennessy manages a seven hour drive without any issues, some cats have to be sedated!

Maybe try putting him in the carrier and just setting him in a room to see how he reacts? If he panics, etc?

One way or another, expect some mewing and complaining at first!

If he doesn't react well in the carrier, maybe leave him home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is Feliway?

I read somewhere on this site that it could be sprayed into a cat carrier or other things.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took mine on a long drive when we moved here and the other 2 I went to the By Area to get which was amost 3 hour drive.
I found if Sasha is in the soft sided carrier she is fine but if she is in the hard plastic ones she panics.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO cats should ride IN the carrier in the vehicle. I know many do let them out or on leashes, but its a lot safer to keep them in the carrier. They may cry and complain for awhile, but they have to learn to ride in a carrier.

Because you don't know if he will get sick or not, pack some paper towels, plastic bags and a few extra towels for the carrier in case he does throw up or mess in the carrier.

Once you are at the cabin, be sure to confine him to one room and put his litter box, food/water and familiar towel or bed in the room. Have fun. I remember we took Mitten to the cabin when camping. He really liked it a lot. He was indoor/outdoor and used to a harness/leash so he got to take walks in the woods with us.

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've travelled with 4 different cats to the cottage, which is close to a 3 hour trip one way. My family's cat used to tolerate the trip, but would get sick. My previous cat, Nakita, loved the car and enjoyed the trips to the cottage. My current two cats, Steve and Gigi, are both different. Steve jumps in the carrier and sleeps the whole way. Gigi, on the other hand, meows the whole way. Each cat is different.

You can do a test run, and place your cat in the carrier and drive around the block to see how the cat reacts. Another tip, is to not feed the cat within 2 to 3 hours of travel. You don't want a cat with a full stomach to get sick in the car.

Originally Posted by Traveler5

What is Feliway?

I read somewhere on this site that it could be sprayed into a cat carrier or other things.
Feliway is a spray which contains pheromone-like substances that may help calm cats in stressful situations. For example, many people will spray Feliway in the carrier for trips to the vet or around the house when the cat is stressed.

You can see the product here ---> Feliway Spray

Another option is a product like Rescue Remedy ---->Click Here

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Russian Blue

You don't want a cat with a full stomach to get sick in the car.
Thanks for the good information. Also, very good idea about taking his food away before traveling.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our cats are used to travelling in the car as well. We took them to a cottage with us which was a 4+ hour drive. We put down a temporary litter tray and some water for them. They were just fine but then we often take them in the car just out and about while we run errands on the weekends so they were very used to the car and travel.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You might want to talk to your vet about getting him a tranquilizer; not something that will knock him out completely, just something to help him relax. Some people don't like the idea, but ymmv.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty comes with us to the family for Christmas, he's not so keen on in the carrier but after a while he settles. I don't take him out of the carrier, I think he feels safer in there too be honest. I also play classical music or soft music for him to calm him and have the window open a little. Its always fine, except the first time and i fed him before we went thinking that he wouldn't have any food on the journey, and guess what? He was sick
Poor chap, so I def second the don't feed 2-3 hours before leaving! Have a good time

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

You might want to talk to your vet about getting him a tranquilizer; not something that will knock him out completely, just something to help him relax. Some people don't like the idea, but ymmv.
I realize some people don't have a problem with drugs, but I do. I don't believe in tranquilizers for people never mind cats.
They have their place but I don't believe it should be for travel.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I realize some people don't have a problem with drugs, but I do. I don't believe in tranquilizers for people never mind cats.
They have their place but I don't believe it should be for travel.
It depends on the individual. Some people--and cats--have such a high anxiety level about travel that they can't do it all without medication.

Again, I'm not advocating something that will knock him out; just something that will relax him and calm him down. And I'm not even necessarily advocating it--just that it should be considered; after all, I don't know this cat. It is a decision that each family should make for itself, in consultation with the vet.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a big crate, put a make shift litter box on one side that is made out of a cardboard box then put her bedding with her smell in the other side. Also some toys with that familiar smell.
If you cat isn't a good traveler or if you are in doubt, get some Feliway diffusors before and Feliway spray for during and use the diffusors after in the cabin too.
Google Feliway to find out more.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I am with the "no drugs" group. If you must calm them down, its better to use a herbal Calming drops.
If they work with the cat in question, of course, an herbal formulation is best. But if the cat in question finds that the herbal formulary isn't strong enough, then a pharmaceutical compound may be best.

Each cat is unique, and one cannot make a dogmatic statement; each family must make the detrermintion with veterinary advice.