TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › KatKwery Playoffs - Round 2 - Game 2 - Oct. 13
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KatKwery Playoffs - Round 2 - Game 2 - Oct. 13

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
2008 KatKwery Playoffs
Round 2 – Game 2

Topic: Cat Care

1. How do you feel about spaying and neutering cats? What about your cats?
What if they are indoor-only cats?

2. Are your cats ID’d in some way such as micro chipped or wearing a collar with an ID tab?
Again, what if they are indoor-only cats?

3. Do you provide any kind of fresh, growing greens for your cats to nibble on during the day?
Are you sure of which greens are safe?

4. As far as your cats’ environment is concerned – what have you personally done to make your home safe (also your garden if an outside cat)?

5. Right now, can you say for certain whether your toilet seat(s) are up or down?
Do you know why it matters?

6. What kind of special scratching devices do you have in your home other than your finest leather chair and Belgian lace curtains?

7. Are you aware that Halloween poses special problems for your cats? What do you plan on doing about protecting your cats this Halloween?

8. Do your cats ever get hairballs? Do you take any special steps in an attempt to prevent hairballs?

9. Including baths, how much time do you spend on caring for your cats’ beautiful coats of fur?
Do you have longhaired, shorthaired, or a combination of cats?

10. How many of you actually brush your cats’ teeth? Please describe the experience.
Is it fun for you and the cat?
post #2 of 13
I gotta stop doing these while I'm at work!

2008 KatKwery Playoffs
Round 2 – Game 2

Topic: Cat Care

1. How do you feel about spaying and neutering cats? What about your cats?
What if they are indoor-only cats?

Honestly, I think all dogs and cats both should be spayed and neutered. Of course, I only say all because if we strive for the stars we may reach the moon. If we aim to have all dogs and cats fixed, then we might actually make a dent in the number of wonderful potential pets out there that are suffering, starving, and dying. Whether put to sleep by us or dying alone on the streets. So of course, all my dogs and Evie are spayed (I only have girls so far! Just coincidence, honest! ). Even indoor only cats should definitely be fixed. I mean, why take the chance? Besides, they are better off being fixed. They are healthier and more even tempered and get along better with people and each other (and, I have to say, themselves! Can you imagine a human being all horny and confined to a room and never allowed to do what nature says to?? This way they just don’t have to suffer or make unwanted babies! Best of both worlds.).


2. Are your cats ID’d in some way such as micro chipped or wearing a color with an ID tab?
Again, what if they are indoor-only cats?


Oi, my Evie-kins. I keep putting tags on her, and she keeps taking them off!! I thought she was micro chipped when we got her, but now I don’t think so. We never did any registration or anything, so the more I think about it, the more I worry about if she ever got out!! I like to have a collar with a tag and bell on it. Even though, if she got, I don’t think anyone could catch her since she is a chicken and would likely run away (unless they used a trap), but this way if she has a visible collar and a noisy tag they can hear, they know she is owned. Evie is an indoor only cat, but as I mentioned, I do want her to have ID on her. My darling husband is not the best at keeping doors and windows closed! She has actually snuck out a few times when he leaves the door open (he says, “Oh, she’s fine, she knows better!†I say “WHAT????†), and because she’s not an indoor-outdoor cat, I worry even more! Because if she does get out, I don’t know that she can take of herself or find her way back.


3. Do you provide any kind of fresh, growing greens for your cats to nibble on during the day?
Are you sure of which greens are safe?

Oh, what a time to ask this question!! Evie’s “grandma†(my mom) just bought her home growing cat nip!! My husband and I don’t like to give her cat nip, but she gets a little now and again- mostly from grandma. Grandma is her drug dealer!! So, she just bought a pot of home-growing cat nip and gave it to us over the weekend. So it is at home starting to germinate in the window right now! Evie will be so happy. We also occasionally get her cat grass. Otherwise, no, she isn’t allowed to eat any of the plats we have. Of course, we only have two plants! Hah. And no, I’m not sure of what plants or greens are safe. Which is a lot of the reason why I don’t give her many! I mean, I have a list of them, but I can’t indentify them very well. Even with pictures! I get them too confused too easily, and don’t want to take any chances.


4. As far as your cats’ environment is concerned – what have you personally done to make your home safe (also your garden if an outside cat)?

Since we moved in to this house after we got Evie, it’s basically HER home, we just live in it! Hah. In fact, part of my consideration for buying this house was that it has stairs. Though that is a pain for people, I knew Evie would LOVE running up and down them, and I was right! Now, what have I done to make it safe? To be honest, there’s not a lot of extra stuff I need to do. I was raised with all sorts of pets and babies (my mom did home child care), so it’s pretty natural to keep things safe. All knives put away, nothing stacked or tip-able. No unsafe plants for them to eat. Windows have safety locks so they only open a few inches so no one tumbles out. Screens are secure (for screens, anyway!).


5. Right now, can you say for certain whether your toilet seat(s) are up or down?
Do you know why it matters?

Hah, with my husband, that is never certain! I ALWAYS put the seat and LID down. I hate when women whine about men leaving the seat up, and men whine about women whining. I say, we ALL need to put the LID down! I hate it sitting there open. It feels dirty and makes the bathroom feel dirty! Even when I’ve just cleaned it. I got in this habit when I was about, 12 or so. I was putting on a bracelet, and that’s hard by oneself, so naturally, I dropped it. Guess where it went. Yup, straight in the toilet! Which luckily had nothing but water in it, but ever since that day, I’m paranoid. In fact, I will go behind hubby and close the lid! He thinks I’m insane. But today he was the last in the bathroom, so I haven’t gone behind him to close it, so it’s probably still up. Anyway, yes I know why it matters. As I said, for me personally, it matters because it feels dirty and I’m worried about things falling in. But the reason it matters here is, pets falling in! You don’t want anything tiny falling in, either kittens or small dogs or, as in my case, chinchillas! Chins are likely to die if they fall in. At least a cat or dog can likely, though not definitely, get out before drowning. But still, then they’ll be wet, and likely dirty. And also, you don’t want them drinking from it, because that isn’t healthy even if it is flushed! Because there’s likely nasties still floating around in it, and if not, that means you likely just cleaned it, and then the cleaner is in it and that is bad for them!!



6. What kind of special scratching devices do you have in your home other than your finest leather chair and Belgian lace curtains?

Finest leather chair and Belgian lace curtains?? As I have such things! :Flail: Though if did, the kits would use them, for sure! Evie and Cronos think that great carpet all over the stairs and upstairs is their special scratcher. I keep telling them no, and putting them on what is theirs, and Evie has learned (though she still uses the carpet, she does know better!), Cronos is still learning. As for actual kitty scratchers, I have a lot of things!! Their favorite (or at least Evie’s favorite) is the cardboard scratchers. She loves those more than anything! I have one downstairs that’s covered, two at the top of the stairs, and one in the bedroom. Oh, and two at grandma’s house! Then I also have a few cat trees, all that have sisal on them, though she doesn’t hardly ever use that. I’ve seen her once or twice, but that’s it. Then I have some more cloth like ones, hanging on the doors. So she has flat, angled, and straight up and down. No, my girl isn’t well taken care of!


7. Are you aware that Halloween poses special problems for your cats? What do you plan on doing about protecting your cats this Halloween?

Yes, I’m aware of that. Candy can be poisonous, opening the door can give them chances to escape, and most problematic for the kitties- those nasty humans might dress them in costumes!! Fortunately, Evie doesn’t have to worry about us dressing her up, we don’t want to spend money on something like that! And, where we live, we get like, one trick or treater. So that’s not a concern either, not really. She is paranoid of the door- knocking, ringing, opening, or the mail coming through the slot. So she will definitely run away up the stairs, and not towards it and out!


8. Do your cats ever get hairballs? Do you take any special steps in an attempt to prevent hairballs?

Oh yes, she does. She didn’t use to, but then she didn’t bathe herself either. Now she definitely does, and I hate it! In fact, I just cleaned one up yesterday. Since this just started a few months ago, we’ve just started trying to curb it. We brush her, but not enough since she doesn’t like it. Her newest treats are supposed to be anti-hairball, but so far they’re not working! Of course, it’s only been a little while. I’ve also been looking on here and such for other health home remedies, like supplements in the food, and am considering that. Though haven’t started yet!



9. Including baths, how much time do you spend on caring for your cats’ beautiful coats of fur?
Do you have longhaired, shorthaired, or a combination of cats?

Oh, we bad parents… We don’t spend all that much time caring for her coat. We try to brush her, but she doesn’t like it, so we don’t do that nearly enough! And we bath her every few months, but those don’t take very long. And she is, in my opinion, long haired. I know there are a lot of cats with fur much longer than hers, but since I don’t know the definition, I think she is long haired! Though it may not be a bad idea, we don’t trim or shave her hair. Though her daddy does like to cut the hair between her toes!


10. How many of you actually brush your cats’ teeth? Please describe the experience.
Is it fun for you and the cat?

Ok, you got me. I’ve never brushed her teeth! I have brushed the dogs’ teeth, but never Evie’s. She had such clean white kitten teeth, I didn’t bother! Though I have been watching them, and they seem to be getting more yellow, so we may have to start. I can tell you already, it won’t be fun for any of us! At best, she may be like the dog and enjoy the taste of the toothpaste, but she definitely hates us getting in her mouth! We do anyway to check it out, make sure all is ok, but she still hates it.
post #3 of 13
2008 KatKwery Playoffs
Round 2 – Game 2

Topic: Cat Care

1. How do you feel about spaying and neutering cats? What about your cats?
What if they are indoor-only cats?
I am definitely in favor of spaying and neutering cats. I don’t understand why people do not spay or neuter, unless they are breeders. There are just so many poor little kittens that have been abandoned or are living their lives in shelters, when they really need a forever home! I wish more people understood the health and behavior benefits of castrating male cats and hysterectomies for female cats. It’s not just about the possibility of them getting pregnant, but about preventing many types of cancer and undesirable behaviors like spraying, roaming, and aggression. Plus, having had a cat in heat before, I don’t know why anyone would want to listen to all that yowling and crying whenever a female cat goes through her cycle. I knew before I ever got my kittens that we would have them spayed and neutered. I was disappointed to find that some vets in the area will not perform the surgery before a kitten is 6 months old, even though it is now widely known that cats can be fertile before that age. Thankfully, my veterinarian clinic does offer earlier spay and neuter surgeries, so I had my babies fixed at four months. Even if I did keep my cats indoors 24 hours a day, seven days a week, I would still have them fixed. They could get out, even if I didn’t want them to…and like I said before, there are so many behavioral and health risks that can be avoided by doing this! If only I could convince the people who feed the stray cat who gave birth to my kittens to trap her and have her spayed…but they don’t seem to understand how important it is!

2. Are your cats ID’d in some way such as micro chipped or wearing a color with an ID tab?
Again, what if they are indoor-only cats?
I have not had my cats micro-chipped yet. I don’t know if I will or not. I know the benefits, but I also know the cost is not in my budget right now. My kittens go out for a brief time ever day, so I do want them to have identification tags. I just haven’t ordered them yet. Thanks for reminding me that I need to do that! I do have their rabies tags on their collars all the time, so that at least if they go out people know that they belong to someone and are not strays. I know that some people say you should have indoor-only cats wear collars with id tags, too, but I don’t know that I would or not. I suppose that if I used the same logic as I did with the spaying and neutering, then I would say that they should wear id and rabies tags just in case they did slip out a door or open window and get lost.

3. Do you provide any kind of fresh, growing greens for your cats to nibble on during the day?
Are you sure of which greens are safe?
No, I don’t have any cat grass indoors at this point. Since my cats do outside for a little while each morning, they nibble grass in the yard then. I have checked lists of unsafe plants several times since bringing the kittens home because I do have several house plants. I got rid of the ones that I know are harmful, and until the kittens are older, I keep the others out of their reach or in a separate room. They still like to chew on the plants a little bit, and even though I know they’ll not make them sick, I don’t want them ruining my plants! However, they are getting better about not bothering things, so I hope that one day I will be able to have my plants back again!

4. As far as your cats’ environment is concerned – what have you personally done to make your home safe (also your garden if an outside cat)? We keep electrical cords covered or hidden so that the cats won’t chew on them. I make sure to keep the counters and kitchen floor clean and clear of harmful substances or poisonous foods like onions and garlic. I also make sure that the cords or strings on the blinds are very short, or tied out of reach so the cats will not be able to get tangled in them. I keep the bathroom doors closed all the time, and even when I do let the cats in, I make sure the toilet lid is down and that all cleaning chemicals are put away. I used to have some toys with strings on them, but I found the kittens eating the string. So I got rid of all the toys that have strings or other parts that they could chew off and swallow. We live in the country, and we don’t have much landscaping yet. So I haven’t had to do a lot to keep the cats from ingesting anything dangerous outdoors. I just make sure that I can watch where they are playing when they are outside, and I never let them out when my husband or our neighbor is mowing or working outdoors.

5. Right now, can you say for certain whether your toilet seat(s) are up or down?
Do you know why it matters?
Yes, like I said above, I always make sure the toilet seats are closed, even when the bathroom door is closed. Once we had some company, and they left the door open and the seat up…I was so annoyed because I had told them to make sure not to do these things! But I guess they didn’t understand the danger of one of the cats falling in and drowning.

6. What kind of special scratching devices do you have in your home other than your finest leather chair and Belgian lace curtains? Ha, ha…well, I do have two free couches that we got after we moved here, and the kittens seem to think those are pretty nice! Thankfully, they were free, so I’m not incredibly attached to them. However, I am still trying to keep them from scratching the furniture, just because it is a bad habit. We have one small scratching post that we keep in the kittens bedroom at night and the office during the day. But that is not enough for the cats, of course, so we also found a nice large cat tree or condo on ebay. It is about 64 inches tall, with natural sisal posts for scratching and climbing, as well as a few platforms for the cats to perch or sleep on. There is also a little cubby or cave for them to hide in, but they don’t seem to enjoy that part as much. We’re still training the cats where to scratch, so I use treats, toys and catnip to attract them to the cat tree while using a pet repellent spray on the couches to keep them away from those.

7. Are you aware that Halloween poses special problems for your cats? What do you plan on doing about protecting your cats this Halloween? I guess I never really thought about the dangers of Halloween for cats. I don’t participate or celebrate Halloween anyway, so there are no decorations or treats around here for them to get into. I suppose that candy would be one danger if they had access to it. Also, if people did open their doors for trick or treaters, then there would be the danger of the cat getting out at night. I will be interested to read everyone else’s response to this question since I’m pretty clueless about this topic.

8. Do your cats ever get hairballs? Do you take any special steps in an attempt to prevent hairballs? Not yet, although I have a feeling Maggie probably will have a problem with this someday. She has such thick fur herself, and she is a meticulous groomer. Plus, she likes to groom Molly and Max a lot, too. So, I bet that she will probably have hairballs when she gets older. I have often wondered if those hairball formula cat foods help at all. I have also heard of hairball gel, but I don’t know much about it at this point.

9. Including baths, how much time do you spend on caring for your cats’ beautiful coats of fur?
Do you have longhaired, shorthaired, or a combination of cats?
So far, I have not done a lot to groom my cats aside from monthly baths. I bought two different kinds of brushes for them, but I did not have much success with my early attempts to brush them. I haven’t tried for quite a while, but I probably should. I would like to be able to brush my cats weekly, at least. Max and Molly are shorthairs, although Molly’s fur is a little longer (and greasier) than Max’s. I don’t know why she gets oily fur, but it helps a lot when I bathe her. Maggie has medium hair, and her coat is very thick and soft. She is hardest to bathe, and she hates it the most, too. She also was the one most resistant to brushing, even though I know she is the one who will need brushed most often. I guess I need to start working on this more and look in the care and grooming section of the forums to get some ideas on how to make it more fun for me and the cats.

10. How many of you actually brush your cats’ teeth? Please describe the experience.
Is it fun for you and the cat?
I have never tried to brush the cats’ teeth, and I’m sure it would not be a fun experience for either of us. If I had a dog, I might try to brush its teeth, but I have always thought that cats had better dental health naturally anyway. Dogs get such bad breath sometimes, so I would probably want to brush their teeth to prevent that. I know that it is a good idea to brush cats’ teeth, too, but right now I’m not in the mood to think about that. I just envision the scratching, clawing, biting, yowling mess that would be…I don’t want to think about it!
post #4 of 13
2008 KatKwery Playoffs
Round 2 – Game 2

Topic: Cat Care

1. How do you feel about spaying and neutering cats? What about your cats?
What if they are indoor-only cats?

I feel that at this point and time all cats that are not purebred should be neutered and spayed! Its important! There are alot of unwanted kittens and cats out in this cold world getting tortured and killed and its just not right to intentionally let a cat have litter after litter of kittens who will end up being put to sleep! My cats are all neutered and they are great! Yeah their missing a few bits n pieces but they dont notice at all, and with HoBoJax and Eek I got them speutered at the same time so they recovered together, and to tell you the truth there wasn't much healing needing to be done! The thought of my cats bringing unwanted kittens into this world is just horrible! I love kittens, but Im still in the process of helping little Ninya recover from her horribly traumatic experience with Whoever cut her tail off! When they cut the tail off they cut her anus off too, so when we brought her in we then had to take her to the vet, they had to make a new butt for her to go potty from, and now has no control over her sphincter muscle at all! She's back at the vet for the 3rd time this week having an overnight stay. Her brother wasn't so lucky, by the time I cought him his head had been kicked in and if you opened his mouth you could see his brains through his jaw. I thought he would of been able to be saved because he was such a fighter, it took 2 weeks to catch him he was so fast, but when I did catch him and take him to the vet they said there was no chance of survival with even a semi happy life. His jaw was broke and he was in pain. He then purred as he was put to sleep! I have a thread about all this in the premium lounge but I doubt many people will be reading this because of this being the playoffs and only 4 people are playing today!

My cats are healthy and happy and don't miss having their bit n pieces at all! They dont even know they're gone really. I was always nervous and scared the night before they went in to the vet, and I was always worried that they would have something go wrong with the anesthesia and they would die! The worst fear is when you can't take them home that night, they say they need to stay there and heal and recover but being without your cats overnight is really hard! You look for them when they are no where to be found and its sad! But at the same time its for the greater good, no spraying around the house, no female cats in heat, for that matter my females always spray worse than the males so if you can head that off your good! The howling of a cat in heat is horrendous! My cats are all indoor cats but they like to sneak out sometimes! Which scares me, Im always afraid they will get run over or wont come home!

2. Are your cats ID’d in some way such as micro chipped or wearing a collar with an ID tab?
Again, what if they are indoor-only cats?

My cats have that dumb thing underneath their skin, I forget what its called but they can just run a little scanner across their necks and tell where they are suppose to go! They also have collars with their names on them because if someone finds my cats I want them to be able to call them by name and know who to call before calling the humane society and being traumatized by being locked in a cage! Even though Jax has never been outside since he was rescued he is still marked, I dont care! If something goes wrong people need to know where he needs to go and what his name is! I worry that someone will call them a different name something dumb like Frizzy or something that isn't their name!

3. Do you provide any kind of fresh, growing greens for your cats to nibble on during the day?
Are you sure of which greens are safe?

I do cat grass for my cats, which is always great until the time they knock it over and make a horrible mess! They eat it like its going out of style! It is good for their digestive health though. So they are suppose to have a little according to my vet so I do give them some, however I dont keep it around for them to free feed off of because they will knock it over and make a mess. Its natural instinct for them to knock it over to have better axcess to it! Its very natural for them to eat it too so it can't be all that bad, and my cats normally dont vomit it back up so its not that bad! Ive seen cats that will eat it till they throw up but mine usually dont!

4. As far as your cats’ environment is concerned – what have you personally done to make your home safe (also your garden if an outside cat)?
I have no plants anymore, because it turns out all plants I like are bad for my cats! So all plants are kept out of the house so that they can not get to anything that would cause poison or poisoning! I couldn't handle the idea of my cats eating a plant that was around to be pretty and having them die from it! I would feel horrible and a plant just isn't worth the risk! I have cat proofed my house and kid proofed it for that matter by moving anything dangerous into locking cupboards that they can't get into, I keep anything harmfull off the counter because they do like to jump! I also keep all medication away from them because they like to eat it. Wouldn't you know it, you try to give it to them and they fight and scratch and bite and claw, you dont want them to get it and their llike yum yum!

5. Right now, can you say for certain whether your toilet seat(s) are up or down?

My toilet seats are up right now, however I do not have a toilet bowl cleaner in there because if they were to drink the water they would get sick! I dont use toilet bowl cleaners because of that! I think Im paranoid! My cats are also not small enough to drowned in there so Im good!

Do you know why it matters? Because water in a toilet can be toxic if cats drink it??? I think thats right. Due to the stuff people add to keep their toilets looking nice and pretty it adds bleach or chlorine or whatever you want to call it to the water which is hazardous to kitties if drank! So if you use one you have to keep your toilet bowl lid down at all times in order to prevent your kitties from drinking the water and getting sick!

6. What kind of special scratching devices do you have in your home other than your finest leather chair and Belgian lace curtains?

Ummm... I have a couch! One of my cats is declawed because I didn't know the dangers and what it took to declaw him at the time and with a brand new baby in the house I gave in to the grandparents demand on the fact that they might scratch the baby! The other two are not declawed and they use the couch to scratch on! I dont mind if they scratch the furniture really, thats why they call it Fur-niture! They also have a special door in the house that they are allowed to scratch! They have scratching posts but they refuse to use them saying something like those are for pets, and Im not a pet! Anything in the home that they choose to scratch that isn't me or the kids they can without me getting too upset, its in their nature to scratch things! They have to keep those claws sharp! Even though BooBoo is declawed he still feels the need to "sharpen" his claws! So I think its all animal instinct! They use their claws as a defencive tool in the wild so I think they have it drilled into their brains that they need to keep them sharp!

7. Are you aware that Halloween poses special problems for your cats? What do you plan on doing about protecting your cats this Halloween?

My cats are all in for the winter at this point! With snow about to fall, and Holloween coming, I keep them locked up! People do weird things to cats around holloween so I think its best to keep them in! So with winter around the corner the kids aren't allowed outside unless I am present, therefore the cats do not go outside and will not run into stranger danger! My cats may go trick or treating with me though, but they will be on leashes and at my side! I want to dress them up like the three little pigs! Wont that be cute!!

8. Do your cats ever get hairballs? Do you take any special steps in an attempt to prevent hairballs?
My cats rarely get hairballs! I guess Im just lucky like that! When they do I go and get special stuff from the vet, and then they tell me to let my cats lick the butter instead, and I do! Apparently that helps them with the hairballs in some way shape or form! I dont understand it, but thats what the vet says to do! There is also special food for hairballs but my cats can't have it or else they get urinary tract infection and they have to have special food already for that!

9. Including baths, how much time do you spend on caring for your cats’ beautiful coats of fur?

I probably spend about 2 hours a week grooming them! Depending on how their fur is of course, if its neat and clean with no dandruff or matts I just give them a combing here and there, if they have put on weight for winter and are too fat to get to a certain spot I spend a little more time making sure that their fur is neat and clean and matt free so they have an easier time of grooming themselves! They're pretty good at grooming each other too!

Do you have longhaired, shorthaired, or a combination of cats?

I have two shorthaired cats and one "medium-haired" cat! I dont have the plesure of working with persians like you do, so I got lucky there too!
I do not have to spend near the time as people with long haired cats! They can keep themselves pretty well taken care of thank godd!

10. How many of you actually brush your cats’ teeth? Please describe the experience.
I brush their teeth! They have beef flavored tooth paste!! You want me to describe hell huh?? Okay, here goes.
I start out by getting everything prepared, I get someone to help me hold the cat as they know doom is soon to come. I get their toothbrushes wet and put the beef flavored (or tuna) toothpaste on their brushes and hold them in a towel. I get the brush in their mouth just as the other person lets go on accident and I get a sharp back claw dug into my hand. Try two.
Try to do it on my own in a gentle less intimidating manner, try putting the cats toothbrush in there mouth and then get bit! Try three. SIT ON THEM. Grab their scruff and brush there teeth. Works everytime! Plus they get two dental appointments a year to get their teeth properlly taken care of! So that always helps, I only try to brush there teeth about once a month because it leads to blood shed, and I hate that!! I always get hurt! Giving baths is worse though, my legs end up scratched to high heck and its just a nightmare! You would not believe the trouble I have to take to give my babies a bath! You would think Im trying to kill them or something by the way they behave!
Is it fun for you and the cat?[/quote]

No, my cats hate it! I think they enjoy having their teeth cleaned after its done, but while we're cleaning them, its torture to them! Each of my cats have different tooth brushes so that they dont spred any mouth or teeth diseases to one another, but they do share toothpaste! When one see's the toothbrush come out they run! Which scares the others ones! I had a cat once who loved to get his teeth brushed, he would sit there and just let me brush even in the back, he wouldn't gag or nothing! It was great, he just knew he liked it and all was well!

Okay guys! Those are my answers! Lets see if this one put me out of the race!!

Good luck yall!
post #5 of 13
Well, I think this might be brief tonight, we have been packing for days and moving all weekend, and finally are all moved in. We started pretty early this morning, and now I am sitting here waiting for my daughter to get home from working. I have a feeling that tonight is not going to be my night. Not to mention, today we celebrate my youngest son’s 5th birthday. Where did the months go??? Anyway here I go. In case I haven’t said it lately, thanks Lee, once again for all you’ve done for this contest, I hope you’re not sick of us yet!.
Quote:

1. How do you feel about spaying and neutering cats? What about your cats? What if they are indoor-only cats?
I think it’s probably not a surprise that I am definitely pro-spay and neuter. I think more than half the members here on TCS are for spaying and neutering; for obvious reasons. One, there is already an overpopulation of unwanted cats in rescue and in shelters, not to mention the strays and abandoned cats on the streets or being put to sleep at the Humane Society. The feral community alone is horrible. Two, having your pet altered is healthier for them, it is well known to prevent cancer and it stops them from having an urge to mate, and reduces the urge to escape from the house preventing undue harm outside. I know dogs especially are good for putting themselves in harms way just to get the chance to breed. Plus, altering your cats (males especially) lessens the likelihood of them spraying your house and marking it with their urine.

Our cats aren’t allowed outdoors, but I still had them spayed and neutered, again to deter anyone from trying to spray, especially my male, but also to stop the female from crying to go out when she is in heat. Also because it is for their health to have them fixed. It is dangerous for an unaltered queen to cycle in and out of season so often, they are prone to quite a few different problems.

I think a lot of people would probably go to the veterinarian and have the surgery for their pet if cost wasn’t an issue. It’s not like we put things like that in our budget, although I know some people do designate a specific amount for pet care in general. But what are you going to say, “Oops, sorry Fluffy, no food this month, we have to save for your spay!�

I know there are reduced-price vets available, but aren’t even in everyone’s area. I know there aren’t any in mine, but we use an old country vet. A neighbor of mine checked into their clinic and since the bulk of their living is made off of larger farm animals, the cost of their domestic pet surgeries are lower.

Now I know there are breeders that might not be for fixing their stock, but I know they are still very much for altering pets. The best breeders will convince the adoptive family the benefits they might have for their cat and someday they will live better lives because of it.

Besides did I mention the overpopulation? Of course everyone loves babies, but when fertile Muffy turns up pregnant on their doorstep because no one was bothering to get her fixed it’s always another story. Lets not even think about when she gives birth…

Quote:
2. Are your cats ID’d in some way such as micro chipped or wearing a color with an ID tab? Again, what if they are indoor-only cats?
I had a dog that was micro-chipped, but none of my cats have ever had an implant chip put in place. The microchip in our dog was very reassuring but only if the place that would find them has the technology to scan or read it, luckily we never had to test it out or use it! My cats all have collars with detailed ID tags, but they never wear them. Well, maybe for a couple hours before they wrestle themselves free. Mostly I just carry their rabies tag and identification on my keychain (so if I ever get lost they will know where to return me ) and I have given up trying to snazzy them up with the sparkly collars, although I dread the idea of them getting lost! I wish they would keep them on, but all my efforts are in vain. Cats are incredibly agile when it comes to things like that! Any ideas for keeping them on are welcome. They are all indoor, but there is still always the possibility and risk of them getting out in the yard and roaming the streets, especially with the kids. So far so good…

Quote:
3. Do you provide any kind of fresh, growing greens for your cats to nibble on during the day? Are you sure of which greens are safe?
Well, I’ve kind of answered this question in past KatKweries before. I used to grow (or try to grow fresh catnip and cat grass, I have bought them already growing and have grown them from seed (which seems to take forever), but we are not aloud to have plants in the house with Joshua’s compromised immunity, due to mold hazards, so I don’t have any houseplants right now. I used to have a pot out on my back deck that I was always bringing indoors and would let the cats nibble on it every now and again, but I’m afraid I am always disappointed as I don’t have a very good green thumb. Also it has been my experience that I seemed to attract neighborhood cats. Not that I minded, but hubby hates that. As for knowing which plants are safe. I remember either the KatKwiz or KatKwery that tested this subject well. Of course there were all kinds of plants, it was extensive, so I’m not able to remember name every plant that was on the list, but I can remember some of the more popular ones, and the ones that shocked me to learn about, like apples and onions.

Once I read a piece about cat nip oil being a natural repellent for mosquitoes [it actually had lists of other things on there as well); I was half tempted to plant a whole field of it in my backyard.

Quote:
4. As far as your cats’ environment is concerned – what have you personally done to make your home safe (also your garden if an outside cat)?
I think a lot of laymen would be surprised that people actually kitty-proof, their homes, or they are not aware of the dangers lurking everywhere. I have small kids, so I think my house is by default safer just from child-proofing for the kids. HOWEVER; the kids alone add to their danger… the popped balloon, the chocolate candy left laying around, not to mention the boys who start playing too rough with them. <sigh> always have to be on the lookout!

When decorating the house, I am subconscious about what I place where. It might be one of the hardest parts. The other day I had a beautiful vase of flowers and I was afraid to place in on the table in fear of it falling or them tipping it or trying to eat them. Also I am careful of where I put picture frames or ceramic knick knacks that I don’t want broken or knocked down.

Electrical cords, phone cords and computer wires just impose more risks to cats. Just the fact that they dangle, and sway; calling out to the oh-so-curious creature… I have the cords behind my computer taped up to not only prevent them from getting tangled, but to stop the cats and kittens from biting them and electrocuting themselves.

Which reminds me, always tie up the cords on the blinds to prevent the cat from strangling herself. The cords attached to the blinds are pretty tempting to a cat in all their wiggliness, it’s best to just hide it from their view and away from their access and keep it hidden.

Oh, I’m also reminded of Christmas. The other day a friend an I were trading cat storied and she was saying how they never put tinsel on a tree for decorations anymore since the day they found their cat walking around with an extra silver tail Poor cat! I can just envision it! Sorry to laugh at someone else’s expense, but it was hilarious. I don’t know why cats enjoy ingesting string. I crochet, and I don’t know how many times I’ve been chugging along only to find they have attacked the yarn and chewed through my strings.

Quote:
5. Right now, can you say for certain whether your toilet seat(s) are up or down? Do you know why it matters?
Right now, I can say with almost 100% certainty that my toilet seats are down. The boys are still in training yet, but they are pretty darn close. I’m always reminding them. A long time ago we got I was made to get in the habit of putting the top lid down, I lived with my grandmother for a short time and she was petrified of something coming up through the sewage system if left open. Anyway, so it became a habit to keep it up. Once though, I remember when I was younger, we had a cat that LOVED to drink from the faucet. Anytime he would hear the water running, he would make a bee-line up the steps, jump off the toilet seat and head into the sink. One day someone left the seat up <gasp> and the dern cat fell right in. That’s how used to he was of the seat always being down. Oops. Anyway, he fell in with such a gusto, that the lid fell and he was trapped inside, only someone was standing right there to let her out, of course since they were brushing their teeth.

Of course the dangers are mostly common sense. Besides the obvious of drowning, it’s not exactly the most sanitary water to choose, but there could also be harmful chemicals in your tank, like a cleaner of some sorts that you use for cleaning and there lies another threat.

Quote:
6. What kind of special scratching devices do you have in your home other than your finest leather chair and Belgian lace curtains?
We offer several different choices for the cats to scratch on – from cardboard scratching boxes, to sisal rope posts. We had a thick carpeted post, but they didn’t seem as impressed with it. They have a tall cat tree that I ordered on eBay, my daughter likes in her bedroom. I’ve seen a kitty condo around on the forums that many members have, and I have found some on the internet, I think the cats would really enjoy it, but don’t know if I have enough room for one. Thankfully, the cats have little problem with clawing my furniture or woodwork, but I do on occasion catch Roly at the back door sometimes “stretching†and making his attempts. He’s about the only one that does this, and it’s always in the same place. I don’t know what causes him to perform this behavior, but it seems to be a monthly thing at least that comes as his mood changes. Of course I do not know what they do when we’re away.

I’ve read that you should offer your cats a vertical perch for climbing on in every room, that’s a lot of cat toys, but if you count the arms of the couches, window sills and the kitchen counters they aren’t supposed to be on… I bet we’re pretty close.

Quote:
7. Are you aware that Halloween poses special problems for your cats? What do you plan on doing about protecting your cats this Halloween?
No, I never really thought about it until you pointed it out to us. Naturally, I had to go look at the topic in the Cat Care section. I knew about the black cat thing, and I seem to remember I seen that some people wont sell or give away a kitten on Halloween, but I never gave a thought to some of the other parts. I guess as an animal lover it was natural that I know to keep chocolate out of the reach of others as it can be poisonous to them. And I’m sure I always avoided plastic bags on the floor because I know they are unsafe even though cats have a fascination for them from some reason and we’re always afraid they will suffocate. I don’t know why they love them so much, I suppose it’s the noise the bag makes while they are playing with those things. I guess some of the tips in the article are pretty obvious with a little logic to a cat lover. I am not really home much for the trick-or-treaters because I still have small children, but the few times I have been I trap the cats in a room so they won’t sneak out. One year we took the kids out for treats and my daughter got bit by a dog at someone’s home! I understand the dog was probably nervous and annoyed with all these kids coming and going and I don’t know if the dog ever displayed aggression before, but I think the owner should have known better than having these large dogs at the door with her. The bite was pretty bad and you could say I was more than annoyed. Everyone said that I should have sued the people, but I was never one to jump on the prosecution bandwagon.

Quote:
8. Do your cats ever get hairballs? Do you take any special steps in an attempt to prevent hairballs?
Before yesterday I would’ve said no to this question, but my husband watched Roly cough up a hairball in my office just last night. So yes, my cats do get hairballs, I guess I’m just not as astute as others. Now I’ll have to watch of it myself Since Roly has longer hair, I realize it is natural for him to swallow more amounts of fur during his grooming sessions, but after reading the article, I wondered if he had a true hairball… He did the coughing thing, but he didn’t vomit and I never found any mess that I know of. All the same, I was interested in ways to help with the digestion and passing of those types of things. I have heard about special formula foods you can feed them that helps aid the digestive system.

I don’t take our cats to the groomer, but I do brush and groom them myself when they’ll let me. I brushed them really so it gets rid of some of their fur around the house and to stop the flying hair when we pet them, but it’s nice to know it also prevents the cats’ hairballs.

Quote:
9. Including baths, how much time do you spend on caring for your cats’ beautiful coats of fur? Do you have longhaired, shorthaired, or a combination of cats?
Oh yeah right, we haven’t given the cats baths much. We do bathe them when they get into something undesirable and are covered in something, but unless it’s anything they cant get out of its coat, then they are on their own. It’s funny too, because we do wash and clean the foster kittens regularly (probably weekly) just to get them used to water. I think it’s important to train them while I can, but my own cats… Well, who knows, at least they are ready to accept baths by their new owners just in case.

Whenever we do give them baths, it’s usually a two-man job. We lock up the mom cat behind closed doors in a separate room, and take each kitten one at a time into the bathroom. One person washes and the next dries and soothes When we’re done we return it to its mom and start doing it all over again. Wash, rinse, repeat

As far as brushing them goes: like I said earlier I have medium hair cats, and my fosters are mostly shorthairs, I might brush them one a week between all of them. The short haired cats seem to enjoy it for the simple pleasure of it, but my resident cats really do need it more often, which is funny because they are more resistant to the brushes.

Aside from that, what else is there to do? I know certain breeds come with their own recommended guidelines, if not from their breeders, but just in general. I guess the Sphynx tends to have more oily skin and needs to be sponged down more often. But on the other spectrum, the Persian needs to be brushed more often to prevent matting.

Other than that, I imagine their diet plays a part in their coat quality. A cat eating a poor diet, probably wont be as soft and silky as a cat eating a high-quality one. I know there are different foods for different cats, foods for indoor cats, foods for male cats, foods for older cats, etc, etc, but I have to tell ya, unless the bag is specifically telling me I am pretty clueless as what to look for – with the exception of glucosamine...

Quote:
10. How many of you actually brush your cats’ teeth? Please describe the experience. Is it fun for you and the cat?
I don’t know about fun… I have never brushed my cats’ teeth! I have known people who brush their dogs’ teeth but even that is above me. Maybe some people need their pets breath to smell better? Too much work for me, I’m lucky if I brush my own teeth I just fed my dog garlic pills when I thought he stunk, which I think is ironic since garlic in people is known for bad breath! For dogs though, getting their teeth clear can be as easy as giving them a dental bone to chew on, but really, you wont find a cat stooping to chewing on a bone I know my daughter has tried to brush our dogs teeth before, I don’t even want to know who’s toothbrush she was using I never asked her how it went, I told her she was nuts though, I couldn’t even imagine trying it on a smaller mouth.

Well, it seems as though my response wasn’t so brief after all… Do me a favor, nobody listen to the first paragraph. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain… I belong in a looney bin. Such behaviors. Just get to the point will ya?
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
According to my latest count, we will have two undefeated contestants in the finals (Super Bowl).

Here is the chart. But, the first time I went through this chart, I had glitch and BelongsToEvie with 4 apiece. So please do check behind me.

Marianjela heads for the finals with a 8-3 victory over Cocoa Cream.

BelongsToEvie heads for the finals with a 5-4 victory over glitch.

There will be no more games until Friday.

Marianjela has the advantage in that any ties in score count as a win for her due to seed position. Soon, 150,000 points will flow from my account to one of these two competitors.

Soon, one of these two will be the 2008 KatKwery Champion!
post #7 of 13
Congrats to Marianjela and BelongstoEvie! To be perfectly honest, I'm relieved that I lost today. I have company coming tonight and don't have time to write any more novels on cats right now! It was fun while it lasted, though! May the best wordsmith win!
post #8 of 13
Congratulations Everybody. Can't wait to read the final round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie View Post
Oi, my Evie-kins. I keep putting tags on her, and she keeps taking them off!! I thought she was micro chipped when we got her, but now I don’t think so. We never did any registration or anything, so the more I think about it, the more I worry about if she ever got out!!
Your vet should be able to check for a microchip. Even if it's not the same company, his/her scanner can tell if there's one in there. That's the first thing my vet did when I took Goldy in, ran the scanner over her and said "no chip".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Cream View Post
Once we had some company, and they left the door open and the seat up…I was so annoyed because I had told them to make sure not to do these things! But I guess they didn’t understand the danger of one of the cats falling in and drowning.
I always tell visitors that whoever leaves the toilet seat up gets to give Miss Patchwillow a bath when--not if--she falls in. I will volunteer to take them to the emergency room for stitches afterward. So far it's been pretty effective getting the men to put the lid down. It's the women who tend to forget.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
According to my latest count, we will have two undefeated contestants in the finals (Super Bowl).

Soon, one of these two will be the 2008 KatKwery Champion!
Cocoa Cream, you were a worthy competitor! ..and I totally know how you feel about being relieved. Yesterday, I considered forfeiting round 2 game 2, because I was so tired already.

BelongsToEvie, I look forward to our heads up.

I love this game, but hate that we are competing against friends. I say, whoever wins this thing buys a round for everyone with their new found points!

post #10 of 13
Well I knew I was going to lose but it still sucks!!

Have fun yall! Im out!
post #11 of 13
Wow! When I first started playing I would have never ever guessed! I think I'm still in shock.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyCat View Post
Your vet should be able to check for a microchip. Even if it's not the same company, his/her scanner can tell if there's one in there. That's the first thing my vet did when I took Goldy in, ran the scanner over her and said "no chip".
Yeah, and it's on my list for whenever I happen to take her back there! But I'm not going back just for that, not until I'm more paranoid about her getting out, anyway.


Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
Well I knew I was going to lose but it still sucks!!

Have fun yall! Im out!
It was a lot of fun, Glitch! You were great competition, that was really close!! I hope you read as Marianjela creams me!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianjela View Post
Cocoa Cream, you were a worthy competitor! ..and I totally know how you feel about being relieved. Yesterday, I considered forfeiting round 2 game 2, because I was so tired already.

BelongsToEvie, I look forward to our heads up.

I love this game, but hate that we are competing against friends. I say, whoever wins this thing buys a round for everyone with their new found points!

I agree about the competing against friends things, but let's just say, I won't hold it against you when you wipe the floor with me! All in fun, hon! Though I'll admit I'm rather quite VERY nervous now.

I'm looking forward to playing with you, too! Not sure that anyone can compete with P&A's DW's identical twin (meaning you, of course! ), but I'll sure give ya a good challenge! Or try, anyway.

to all the friends I've made playing this! At least we still have the rest of the forums!

And thanks to Persi & Alley, as always!
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianjela View Post
Cocoa Cream, you were a worthy competitor! ..and I totally know how you feel about being relieved. Yesterday, I considered forfeiting round 2 game 2, because I was so tired already.

BelongsToEvie, I look forward to our heads up.

I love this game, but hate that we are competing against friends. I say, whoever wins this thing buys a round for everyone with their new found points!

I know exactly what you are saying. Had you forfeited the game, there would have been a third game today. The Kats and I have been totally impartial to the playoffs although I can say I am not saddened that I did not have to come up with ten more questions today. Everything about the season was exciting, including GoldyCat's most amazing finish. Yeah, somebody reminded me last night that there was something called the baseball playoffs going on at the same time. I responded "Really?, I hadnt noticed", and for the most part that was true.

You have all been super competitors, it is sure hard to see anybody get eliminated.

There will be no difference in the final two or three games except that this Friday I must post early (8 am Central) due to another appointment. What we have here is two undefeated members; doing what all our members do so well, talking about our cats.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
Everything about the season was exciting, including GoldyCat's most amazing finish.
Just think what I could have done if I'd joined TCS before August.
Can't wait 'til next year.
You are going to do this again next year, aren't you?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › KatKwery Playoffs - Round 2 - Game 2 - Oct. 13