Just wanna pat myself on the back for a teensy second

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have this family that I've been teaching piano to (two sisters) for over 5 years. They both had only had about a year or two of piano before me. If any of you know about getting transfer students, you know it's tough to figure out where they are coming from and trying to fill in the gaps so you can teach your way and make progress.

Well today was one of my student's birthday. She turned 15. She's a freshman in high school and she'll eventually need to do a 90 minute senior recital.

To date: going off the top of my head...

she's played some,
Schumann, Kachataurian, Debussy, Ravel, Chopin, Beethoven, Bach, Haydn, Brahms, Granados, ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I can't remember anything else right now...but here's a short snippet of her playing a Chopin Nocturne.....

Please any feedback would be great - positive or critical. I was recording this on my computer without a direct line to the piano so there may be hisses and pops.

http://sq.txdnl.com/mwt/r/e/n/o/reno...91/1816691.mp3

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't hear it. I get this page:

This web site at sq.txdnl.com has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
crap I'm 1/1.....I don't know why that didn't work. What browser did you both use?

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got the same warning, and using FireFox 3.0.

"Reported Attack Site!

This web site at sq.txdnl.com has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences."

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used my Windows Media player 10 in Windows XP.
The recording came across beautifully.

You have a right to feel pride and joy...
although I heard a couple of off notes, your student plays with passion and feeling.
It must be so fulling to teach others the language of music.

PS...I would love to hear you play.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I used my Windows Media player 10 in Windows XP.
The recording came across beautifully.
Thanks for the idea. I saved it to my desktop and listened to it in Winamp.

Very lovely!

PS: the browser I use is Mozilla Firefox 3.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmmmm I've done it on Firefox 3 and Flock. I'm lost. I'm glad that you guys got to hear her! Maybe I'll record myself... :p

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll see if I can record myself today - I'm trying to catch up on orders....

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
She has a very nice feel for the music. I did notice that the tempo was uneven throughout the piece, not just in the places you would expect to hear a ritard. Have you had her work with a metronome? I know the music can become mechanical when playing with a metronome. However, just having her listen to it can give her an idea where she's speeding up or slowing down. Once she gets the rhythm in her head she can ditch the metronome and work on intentional tempo variations.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A very musical performance of what is probably my favourite Chopin. For my taste, the tempo variations were fine. She has a lovely fluid style. Yes, there were a few missed notes, but I'll take a musical performance with a few clams over a note perfect one with no soul any day.

You've a right to pat yourself on the back, and I'd like to hear you, too.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey all, I'm so happy you've listened to it......as for the tempo varations. She works very hard with a metronome and all those variations were purposely placed, perhaps not the ones I would have chosen for that recording but she's already performed it in recital so I'm letting her develop her own expression. With guidance of course. That piece I coached her on, but I'm done coaching her on it unless I hear anything really atrocious!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweets

She's very good. Have her think happy thoughts as she plays this piece. It is a light piece, like springtime. You'll be surprised what the happy thoughts will add. But she is very good!
what a nice idea. She's very serious all the time and I always hear a schmaltzy violin playing in my head when I hear that song - I'll try that with her.