How do you talk to your cat?

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been meaning to ask this for awhile and though its about time I got to it.
Now I think we all talk to our cats (as in ask how they are) and I think we get more sense out of this then they do. However I was wondering if anyone talks to their cats in THEIR way?
Personally the only thing I've really learned is to blind my eyes three times slowly to show that all is well. I would love to learn a few more "messages" I could send to him...

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I coo the way Kelly does when I call her sometimes. She always comes, especially at night when I'm already in bed. Sometimes I make fun of Pooch by imitating the way he whines. Other than that, I don't really meow when I talk to them... I just use English. =)

They know what I'm saying. They can feel it!

Ohh, and if they slowly blink at me, I do the same to them. "I love you too!"

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do the eye blinks too. But I have learned to do Bobcat speak very very well. I can imitate their sounds and they will reply back. Carmelo seems to understand people talk very well and responds with very loud chirps every time I speak to him

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, mine don't seem to respond to blinks... but i have been known to meow back-&-forth w/them [besides talking in my normal, human manner, of course].

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by othie

I've been meaning to ask this for awhile and though its about time I got to it.
Now I think we all talk to our cats (as in ask how they are) and I think we get more sense out of this then they do. However I was wondering if anyone talks to their cats in THEIR way?
Personally the only thing I've really learned is to blind my eyes three times slowly to show that all is well. I would love to learn a few more "messages" I could send to him...
I have been learning to communicate with my cats with a small penlight flashlight (not laser). They will lay on the floor for hours watching and waiting for the next message I send them. They both have become quite fascinated with this. I have no idea of what messages I am sending but I am pretty confident that they are receiving something.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
milo is a huge blinker! my dh always laughs when i walk into the room milo is in cos he will narrow his eyes at me straight away and then we have a blinking session!

also i will admit to talking to milo in a baby voice.
he does respond though and will 'talk' back.

shinobi, my dear little thing, just looks blankly at me no matter how i talk to him!

and as for tabitha, she is the moaning minnie of the household! she is always grumbling, usually at the boys or because she wants food. she is incredibly vocal! if i'm on the phone and she's around i have to explain that i'm not holding her by her tail, the noises she makes would have you believe i was! tortie-tude is full on with tabby!

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually I talk to Hennessy like he's a person, but if I want him to come he won't usually listen to his name (unless I have treats!
) but he responds quickly when I mimic the way he calls for me when he can't find me. Sometimes I mimic his trills at him and he just looks at me funny...

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just talk baby talk to Butzie (when she is not doing something that I don't like!) and call her a princess. Need I say more?

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I mew to mine, but other than that, I just talk to them normally, or in 'baby talk'...Lol! They make me look a fool all the time...Haha

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty likes to slowly blink and bat her eyes at me sleepily, so I do it back and she seems relaxed by it.

Alot of baby talk goes on in my house. i do talk to them more than i realize probably.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do the eye blinks, and my Grigio invariably responds. I also talk to him as though he were a person because I'm sure he understands--eventually. When he doesn't respond, it's because he doesn't care to listen to me!

He is quite vocal (unlike my former cat who was quiet), but he tends to "whine" which is very annoying. I often tell him that he has nothing to whine about, since he gets premium food and the litter box is always clean:-)

j fred muggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have picked up on some of his chirps,meows mews. one that is a mah mah
when he is perturbed and wants something. its like a bark but very low
i also blink at him. i have heard that by closing your eyes, everything is ok
makes sence, i would not close my eyes if i was scared

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
My husband and I chat at our cats just like they're one more person in the room. We also do the eye blinks or "blinkies" as my husband calls it.

Both of my cats are real chatterboxes and have no qualms about being heard, so I'll admit, sometimes I do mimic thier meows back at them. Especially Cotton because he has such an unusual meow.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I talk to them in my normal voice most of the time. Sometimes i baby talk at them. One thing i kno for sure is, both of them kno their names, when i say it, they look at me. They also both kno what it means when i say "Wanna eat?". I used to do the eye blinks, but neither respond. Monster isnt much of a talker, except when feeding time comes along, and i dont put his plate down fast enough he meows at me to hurry up! Mittens will sometimes just come up to me and meow, i have no idea why, but i meow back at her usually, even though i have no idea what im saying to her!

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call Daisy "Ms. Fatone" (because of the singer Joey Fatone whose nickname is "Fat One")

I say "Ms. Fatone, what are you doing? Are you being a mischief maker?"

I guess I talk to both of them like littel children