Halloween Candy

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What halloween candy do you normally buy at the store to give out to kids in your neighborhood and how much of it? This is the first year that I live in a neighborhood with a lot of kids and that also isn't ghetto and scary. I didn't have streetlights at my last place of residence so it was a little unsafe. In my last neighborhood people were afraid to trick or treat mostly. I'd get maybe 2 kids a year so I made sure I had at least one small bag of candy for them if they came. Last year I had no kids come by and i ended up throwing most of the candy away since I don't need to be eating it and getting fat off of it LOL. I always try to make sure I get something that I know I like in case it is leftover like that though.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We bought 2 small bags last year but we got no kids I mean crickets were chirping all night no kids. But since we live in an apartment complex my guess is that they went to the big richy neighborhood behind us instead. I think this year I'll just get a small bag of something yummy so when the kiddos don't come around again this year I have an excuse to stuff my face with chocolate.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem as you. We just bought the house and haved lived here almost 3 months.
We are not sure how much candy to buy and I do not want to be stuck with alot of candy.
We never got one kid at the appartments.
There seems to be alot of kids here so i do not know what to do either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I ate all the 3 musketeers I had in my variety bag last year but still had the milky ways and snickers left over when I moved in May so I threw them out when I was packing. I love Reeses Peanut butter Cups though. Maybe I should get something like that this year. One year I noticed I had more kids when I put pumpkins out. I dunno, it was weird. I didn't do that last year.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my first year too. I bought a bag of the Willy Wonka candy (dont know what I'll do with it if no kids show up) and a bag of peanut m&ms (not many of those left
) and a bag of twix and some little boxes of raisins (yeah, Im one of those people
)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I get maybe one small bag of bite-size candy and a bunch of the little boxes of raisins. I've lived in the same place for 5 years and still never know how many trick-or-treaters I'll get. One year it might be only two or three and the next year 40-50.
I used to give out small apples, but I guess that's a no-no any more.

krazycatlover

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i don't think it is just the bad neighborhoods that don't get many trick o treaters. People just don't let there kids do it any more. I usually have two small bags of candy like reeses and kit kat or something and usually giving each kid a few and I still have some left over.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually buy a bag of snickers and vanilla tootsie rolls (midges, or whatever) and then eat them myself, since no one tends to knock on the second floor's entry.

This year we have a door on the ground level, though, but we're not in a great neighborhood. I'm expecting to eat my tootsie rolls and snickers again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

This is my first year too. I bought a bag of the Willy Wonka candy (dont know what I'll do with it if no kids show up) and a bag of peanut m&ms (not many of those left
) and a bag of twix and some little boxes of raisins (yeah, Im one of those people
)
Hey, at least you're not giving out toothbrushes!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We never get anyone at the in-laws house. It's set back between 2 houses, so no one ventures back there. Plus, there are a couple big subdivisions around that are off the main road, so the kids go there. Rob went there too when he was little.

When our house is done, no one will be going there, since it's off a dark back road.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We live in an apartment building so there are no kids that come around
I can't wait until we get a hosue so we can partake in the fun
I love seeing kids all dressed up!

I didn't buy any candy because I know I'd eat it all

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't ever buy Halloween candy, because no kids ever come here for it. of course, i'm often not home on that evening, because our school's carnival is usually that night.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy tons of candy, at least 15 bags, whatever doesn't get passed out Halloween night goes to my DH's office the next day, or I would eat it
Oh and I always need extra because my neighbor borrows some every year

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in a rural area - a few miles outside a small town. I buy candy & eat it myself.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first year in my house I went out and bought a HUGE bag of candy, and sat on my porch to hand it out. I still had the candy in December so I threw it out. Now I pull out my penny jar and give each kid a handfull of pennies. No chance of Mom purging it and it helps the kids save and it never goes stale. Each kid gets roughly $0.30.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

What kind of candy should I give out since it will be our first time?
I would talk to the neighbors if I were you. Find out what kind of Halloween "foot traffic" you get, and what type of stuff gets given out. Chocolate's always good of course, you can't go wrong with that.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last year we went thru 10 bags and had to turn the light out!
This year I haven't decided how many to pick up or even what.