Oh yes, I'm besotted...

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been taking photos for ages, and here are some of the best, from Mack's first month staying with me!

If anyone has any idea of what breed she is, then please let me know! I've been told that she might have a little Maine Coon in her...

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd say she's a domestic longhair. Without papers, that's all she can be, except for your little darling!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your advice. XD I'm not worried about not having a pedigree cat, we wouldn't have adopted a rescue cat if that were the case... It's just that if she's a Maine Coon I'd like to know, because those cats are bloody huge. XD

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha, thank you so much guys. Mackerel's very happy with your assessment too. :p

carley

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my, that fluffy tail!!
She is beyond beautiful!

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh my, she just looks so soft, I wish I could pet her

Originally Posted by mrblanche

I'd say she's a domestic longhair. Without papers, that's all she can be, except for your little darling!
wouldn't she be a medium hair? I thought longhair cats had more fur...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could have some Maine Coon in the background. But usually they have a heavier coat all over. She IS very pretty - love the warmer brown tabby coloring

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maine Coons are not very common over here, so it's doubtful she'd have any in her.

Still a very pretty girl, MC or not

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by othie

oh my, she just looks so soft, I wish I could pet her

wouldn't she be a medium hair? I thought longhair cats had more fur...
Yes, on her adoption papers it says that she's a Domestic Medium Hair. And yes, she is very soft. XD I wish you could transfer tactile sensations over the internet, lol.

Originally Posted by missymotus

Maine Coons are not very common over here, so it's doubtful she'd have any in her.

Still a very pretty girl, MC or not
I didn't know that Maine Coons weren't very common in Australia! That is a weight off my mind- my landlord came over to 'meet' her new tenant the other day, and said that if she got as big as a Maine Coon she'd have to go.

Hence why I've been kind of desperate to find out if she has any Maine Coon blood in her or not. XD

Thanks so much for all your compliments, everyone. This is the expression on Mack's face now. XD

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful girl! Don't know if she has MC blood or not, but by the looks of those big feet I would guess she is going to be a big girl. Why would your landlord care how big the cat gets? Is she afraid it will take down the mailman or something, lol.
LOVE the look on her face in the last pic, "Oh yea, Im awsome, all must worship me!"

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol - my landlord was a little reluctant to let us have a pet at all, so when she agreed to a cat it was a stretch as it was... so if Mack's going to be a behemoth cat... She's very paranoid about fur getting into the carpets and the apartment developing a 'cat smell', so I guess it's like.. bigger cat = bigger risk of those things happening.

I have a feeling that she's going to be quite large, even if she's not going to be Maine Coon size. Like you said, Trill, she's got big paws, and she's already the size of my aunt's Siamese cats and she's only four months old. Hopefully she wont be too large as far as my landlord's concerned.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's beautiful.

As far as "cat smell" and fur in the carpet, I can tell you it is not dependent on the size of the cat (very small cats can make a very big stink!), and it is very dependent on the habits of the cat's cleaning staff

Make sure she has adequate, frequently cleaned litterboxes (more than one is good if you can swing it) and vacuum regularly. Most "cat smell" comes from the litterbox, the more dilligent you are in cleaning it, the more likely she is to use it regularly.

Also, she is young and you have a chance to get her used to regular brushing. I have a cat with very soft medium length fur, daily brushing has done a multitude of good for his shedding and he seems to enjoy it