I think someone stole Mufasa! What do I do??

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I moved back in with my mother a month and a half ago because my boyfriend and I had split and I had no where to go. She is very allergic to cats, so I found someone to foster Mufasa until I got my own place (which I had told them would probably be in four months). They seemed like really nice people, we talked back and forth for a bit and met a few times before they took him. They had told me that they were thinking about fostering an SPCA cat until they found my add. I told them that I would supply food, litter, vet bills, anything that he needed since he had special needs. They told me to call or email anytime to ask how he's doing and that I could come see him anytime I wanted.
For the first week they would answer my messages, but its been three weeks now since they've contacted me. I've sent at least a message everyday asking them whats going on, and they won't answer my phone calls.
I don't know what to do. I'm so worried that something bad has happened to him, or that they've decided not to give him back.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you find these people thru an agency (like the local shelter)? If so, can you get them involved? Do you live close enough to just show up on their doorstep? I"d be wanting answers NOW; if something is going on you need to get it straightened out sooner than later. I know confronting someone isn't a whole lot of fun, but you need to know what's going on with Mufasa. I'd be sitting on their stoop all day if I had to, with my cat carrier. When/if you get in touch with these people, I'd take Mufasa home with me immediately. You can leave him in a bedroom so your Mom isn't in contact with him if you have to.
Good luck; I hope Mufasa is ok.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you know were those people live?
I would go there with a friend (not alone) and find out what is going on.
This does not sound good.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is the local police force where you are? Animals are considered property and this is theft. Do you have any written documents about the arrangemant with these people? Do you have emails or text from them showing your arangement? Get all of your info togethor and call the authorities, do NOT go to their house alone. for you.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I would say the bad news is that they may consider that you gave them the cat, no matter what you might have said at the time. They probably got the impression that this would be a theoretically temporary situation, but that you didn't really want the cat back.

The good news may be that they fell in love with him and it breaks their hearts thinking of having to give him up.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Well, I would say the bad news is that they may consider that you gave them the cat, no matter what you might have said at the time. They probably got the impression that this would be a theoretically temporary situation, but that you didn't really want the cat back.

The good news may be that they fell in love with him and it breaks their hearts thinking of having to give him up.
But this is not the case, what they think theoretically is irrevelant as to what the agreement was. Foster does not mean keep unless all parties agree to it.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Legally, what you're saying is correct. However, if there isn't a signed written agreement, you're going to have trouble enforcing it. No policeman (or animal control officer, or whatever) is going to walk into someone's house and confiscate a cat from them just on the say-so of some other person.

And of course, we've never heard of a foster situation that turned into an adoption situation, have we?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was there a signed agreement about the arrangement? If not, you are out of luck in getting the cat back if they choose to keep him.

Also, IMO you should be able to just drive over there and see what is going on. I hope things turn out ok and nothing is really wrong.

However, let this be a lesson in putting stuff in writing!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Legally, what you're saying is correct. However, if there isn't a signed written agreement, you're going to have trouble enforcing it. No policeman (or animal control officer, or whatever) is going to walk into someone's house and confiscate a cat from them just on the say-so of some other person.

And of course, we've never heard of a foster situation that turned into an adoption situation, have we?
Indeed many fosters turn into forever homes. One reason why I do not foster, I would have cats everywhere not being able to let them go! You are also correct in that if there is nothing signed, there is no proof. I hope the OP can work this out if it is inded just love for the cat being the reason. The lack of communication on their part is disturbing.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Is it possible that they are away on vacation and not available to answer emails or receive your telephone calls right now?
But then who has the cat? Go on vacation without giving the owner of the cat news of this? something seems very wrong here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We didn't have a signed aggrement, but I do have all of the e-mails that have been sent between us saved, clearly stating that this was a foster and that it would only be for approximatly four months, to which she agreed to in a return email. She also sent me an e-mail saying that I could call or email her anytime I wanted to see him, or ask how he's doing.
My vets office would also vouch that he is mine, and he does have a few very distinguishing features to him that only an owner would know.

I just printed off the add that I posted about him as well and all of the emails sent between us. Anything else you guys think I should have before going to the police?? My friend is really good with computers (he can do almost anything with them) and he's going to get their adress and any other information he can about them.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you don't even know their address, I'd say this was probably a clever theft. So sorry.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure that when you go to the police you have ALL of the emails printed, phone numbers, photos of your cat, and I would probably contact your vet for vet records and also get permission to have the police contact your vet if need be.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you can get your cat back, but I really can't believe you let your cat go somewhere without even knowing an address.
I've got to agree with this. As others have said, get all the documentation you have, take your friend who's good with computers (or someone else) with you--after you discover their address--and tell them you're there to pick up your cat.
I think you're in a very strange situation; hopefully, you can get this resolved.

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone else... it sounds like you've been robbed. Get all the documentation together, confront them with a friend when you have the address, go to the police if they refuse to let you have Mufasa back.

In future you should check out fosters with more care, at the very least you should have their address and go over to their house to have a look at both the potential fosters, and the environment that they'll be keeping your baby in.

I don't think anyone's mentioned kitten photos before. If you have either dated photos, or photos from when your cat was younger, (and still recognisably the same animal) you should take them.

Was the cat micro-chipped? That's pretty conclusive proof as to the identity of the cat.

Unfortunately, even if you can prove that you looked after the animal when it was younger, they can still say that you gave them the cat as you have no documentation printed up.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jalindal

Unfortunately, even if you can prove that you looked after the animal when it was younger, they can still say that you gave them the cat as you have no documentation printed up.
Emails are still proof of dialog, which is a LOT better than he said/she said. The problem is this issue may have to go to court before the emails will do much good. DEFINITELY file a police report on this immediately though! The longer you wait to file a police report the more likely a judge is to think "well it took you X amount of time..." and possibly decide that it was abandonment.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course, the problem with e-mails is that they can be faked pretty easily.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just can't imagine why someone would want to rob me of a cat who has heart disease and an autoimmune disease when there are tons of free cats online. I know I was stupid not to go and check their place out, and believe me, I'm beating myself up about it, but I was just under so much preasure from my mother about finding him a foster home, and she was getting so sick from him. When I met them, they seemed like very nice people. I never would have thought that they would be like this.
I know that e-mails can be faked, but isn't it possible to trace the computer that the e-mail was sent from?