Does your Faith see you through?

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I was just wondering this. I watched a documentary last night about Evangelical Christians, I never knew much about them. I was raised as a Christian, I went to Sunday School and Church and Children of God Club. My family life was not always easy and I was raised by my Grandparents who had old fashion values but a core belief and trust in God and a way to live. When I got older I moved away from my family and any faith that I had. I still never ever take the lords name in vain but I kind of did the young person thing of not thinking it was cool. After watching this documentary though, it made me think. Things like all the family sitting round the table eating together and eating good home made food, we did that every day, breakfast and dinner. I had a lot of those values when I was a child. I suppose thanks to having my Grandparents there all the time and not having to rush off to work. I just wonder now though, if I had always kept my faith, maybe I wouldn't have made some of the silly decisions that I made. Maybe I wouldn't have some of the regrets that I have now. Not major regrets but things that I let myself down on. I wonder, does your faith, whatever that might be, does it get you through those difficult times in life? Does it help to make the right decisions at the right time? It has just made me wonder really. I wonder if i might have been a better person at times if I had thought about it. I know some people will say that you don't need religion to be a good person and that may well be true. I just wonder really, has your faith helped you to conquer some demons and to do the right thing by you and everyone else? Thanks

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always. My faith and trust in God has never let me down even though some tough lessons had had to be learned.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, my faith often gets me through hard times. It makes me realize that no matter how thinks are, I am still blessed with a home, food, and love.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Althekitty

Hi, I was just wondering this. I watched a documentary last night about Evangelical Christians, I never knew much about them. I was raised as a Christian, I went to Sunday School and Church and Children of God Club. My family life was not always easy and I was raised by my Grandparents who had old fashion values but a core belief and trust in God and a way to live. When I got older I moved away from my family and any faith that I had. I still never ever take the lords name in vain but I kind of did the young person thing of not thinking it was cool. After watching this documentary though, it made me think. Things like all the family sitting round the table eating together and eating good home made food, we did that every day, breakfast and dinner. I had a lot of those values when I was a child. I suppose thanks to having my Grandparents there all the time and not having to rush off to work. I just wonder now though, if I had always kept my faith, maybe I wouldn't have made some of the silly decisions that I made. Maybe I wouldn't have some of the regrets that I have now. Not major regrets but things that I let myself down on. I wonder, does your faith, whatever that might be, does it get you through those difficult times in life? Does it help to make the right decisions at the right time? It has just made me wonder really. I wonder if i might have been a better person at times if I had thought about it. I know some people will say that you don't need religion to be a good person and that may well be true. I just wonder really, has your faith helped you to conquer some demons and to do the right thing by you and everyone else? Thanks
If you ever get a chance, see the movie "Elmer Gantry". Possibly the best acting performance ever by Burt Lancaster (he won the Oscar), he perfectly portrayed faith, although probably not in the sense you are talking about.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would have to say that yes, my faith does carry me through; though there are times when I don't really see it, feel it, or acknowledge it...even with Jesus as my personal Savior, I'm still, unfortunately human...a saint who sins at times.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

If you ever get a chance, see the movie "Elmer Gantry". Possibly the best acting performance ever by Burt Lancaster (he won the Oscar), he perfectly portrayed faith, although probably not in the sense you are talking about.
Thank you, I will find it and watch it, I do like my films too! It sounds interesting. Your kitties are gorgeous too

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only faith I have is in myself and that's all I ever need. No matter what "faith" you may have, in the end it's you yourself that has overcome whatever obstacles that have stood in your path. If you cannot bear yourself to recognize the potential that is within yourself then your are deluding yourself into thinking some greater force is involved and undermining the power that is inherently residing within you.

You can believe in whatever you like, but just keep in mind that in the end, it is your own hands and mind that have seen you through. Your actions, your decisions, that's what makes who you are.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ever since we've given the pilot license to God and let HIM be in control, our lives are so much better. Every day we thank him for what he's given us, gotten us thru and if we have something we need help in, we just ask him for help.

Few in our family (DH's mother, brothers/sisters) can understand why we are happy with what we have and are not greedy about earthly material things. They just don't get it. God has given us everything we need (not always what we desire) and has blessed us with more then we thought.

I will say its hard sometimes to trust and we worry about more things that we should, but if we are true believers in God and Jesus, then everything works out. And its really hard sometimes to stand up for what you believe in - even tho the world says you are wrong. We try our best to live by God's rules - not man's rules. Gods rules are prefect and just. Many of man's rules are corrupt and self-serving.

Both DH and I were Christians but we really were not "Christ-like" - there's a big difference in those that claim to be Christians and their actions speak otherwise. Like our pastor has said - you should do two things. Be Christ-like and do what Jesus would have done, and you can be Christ-like in your thoughts.

Man is sinful since the day he's born. We have the choice to walk the wide path to destruction or the narrow path to heaven. And we are only given this one chance on earth. Good deeds are great, but that won't earn your ticket to heaven

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although I never actually believed in the traditional Judeo-Christian god, I have always trusted that there is something, some greater power in which we all participate (knowingly or otherwise), and that death is not the end. That has been a great comfort to me.

But ever since my father's passing earlier this year, I've found it so hard to hold onto that belief. More and more, I find myself envisioning the bleak, blank possibility that there's nothing at all beyond what we see. Nothing.

I hate thinking this way. It breaks my heart. But it also makes me feel more committed than ever to be as good and humane a person as I can be in this life.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, the short, simple answer is 'yes'.
i would consider myself [type-wise] to be a fundamentalist evangelical Christian. if you're really interested, here's a link to my church's website: Cross Timbers Community Church. it's a non-denominational church. our pastor says we're considered a 'recovery' church [according to other church leaders].
btw, we had a 'baptism bash' last Sunday - 500 people were baptized!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes. Even though I belong to now organized religion (but consider myself Christian), I have strong beliefs. I try to live according to what I think God and Jesus would like me to do--I TRY (and I do not always succeed!) to be charitable, compassionate, and kind, and honest. I do not try to convert others to my religion. It is more of a private, personal thing between God and I--does that make sense??? I sometimes ask God for guidance with a matter that I can*t make a decision on, and accept His will.

When I was younger, I called myself an agnostic. Certain events in my life proved to me otherwise.

And I do believe that a person can still be a good person if they are an aetheist/agnostic.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Faith is very important to me. God has guided my life through a highly improbable chain of events that I could have in no way orchestrated. I am not always the best person that God would want me to be, but I do try. I know that He has always been there for me even when I have turned away.

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think of it as faith, because I have a lot of doubts, let's just say I believe that what you put out there in life is what you get back.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely depend on God to get me through this life. I cannot imagine having to deal with some of the things that I have gone through without Him. I have a personal relationship with Jesus. I pray often - which I believe strengthens that relationship. He gives me comfort. I have a lot of love in my life. I thank God for all the people who love me - human and feline. I thank Him also for creating them!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always relied on myself to see me through. Maybe the strength I've been able to pull out of myself is from a god; that I don't know.

Originally Posted by jamasmom

I don't think of it as faith, because I have a lot of doubts, let's just say I believe that what you put out there in life is what you get back.
What about children who are abused? They are innocents and they don't deserve what they are getting from life.

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about children who are abused? They are innocents and they don't deserve what they are getting from life.[/quote]

I agree with you 100%, what I mean by this is that those who do horrible things such as abuse children, will themselves have miserable lives, it will come back to haunt them.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jamasmom

I agree with you 100%, what I mean by this is that those who do horrible things such as abuse children, will themselves have miserable lives, it will come back to haunt them.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to pick on you, and I agree. I love looking at old people's faces; their lives are etched in the their wrinkles.

phillygal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Absolutely. We recently lost our tabby cat and I think I would be going crazy if I did not have my faith. I miss him terribly and I know that pain will not go away, but it will ease a little over time. But I also have a sense of peace that he is in a better place and free from pain and the indignity of having to go through his last illness. I know we did our best for him and that we will see him in another life. This is not the first time I have gone through this, but I know I will have the strength to get through it with God's help.