Is this cruel?

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just adopted a 1.5 yr old female from a shelter. The shelter had found her on the streets... I wanted a feline friend to help with my depression, as selfish as that might sound.

My house is only a 14x14 ft batchelor. Is this big enough?

Another question-

Mona seems to meow alot (crying?) for attention. She has absolutely perfect behaviour despite. Doesn't touch the plants or indoor tree and even used the litter box right away. Amazing!

I'm afraid to pet her when she meows because I'm thinking this could turn into a learned behaviour, so I've only been petting her when she lays down quietly. Is this okay to do? She meows ALOT, but quietly.

Also, she's not fixed. Could this be the problem? Would this reduce meowing?

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She meowing because she is in heat. Is she presenting her rear end towards you? That is another sign. Get her spayed ASAP! Besides lowering health risks, it will stop this annoying behavior that just gets worse with time.

Cat's do not require as much space as a dog, so you living arrangement sounds fine.

Have fun with your new friend!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

She meowing because she is in heat. Is she presenting her rear end towards you? That is another sign.
She seems to want me to pet her back, just above the tail. When I do she stands up and perches her but up.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DreamingRecover

She seems to want me to pet her back, just above the tail. When I do she stands up and perches her but up.
Is she rolling around a lot, following you around endlessly, rubbing her face on anything and everything? These are also indications of heat. How is she eating? Cats eat less when in heat.
The "elevator butt" is pretty common among cats when you scratch them above the tail.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, she wants a boy kitty. You need to have her spayed. If you have financial issues, there are low-cost spay/neuter programs almost everywhere.

We lived with our cat in the cab of our truck, often for weeks at a time, and he was just fine. Your apartment has to be better than a cage, right?

But if she meows for attention, she wants you to pay attention to her. Didn't you get her to make both of you feel better? What's wrong with giving her the attention? After all, you are all she has in the world!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Yep, she wants a boy kitty. You need to have her spayed. If you have financial issues, there are low-cost spay/neuter programs almost everywhere.

We lived with our cat in the cab of our truck, often for weeks at a time, and he was just fine. Your apartment has to be better than a cage, right?

But if she meows for attention, she wants you to pay attention to her. Didn't you get her to make both of you feel better? What's wrong with giving her the attention? After all, you are all she has in the world!
Agreed about the attention part. As long as she is not disrupting your sleep meowing to be paid attention to, why not give her some love? My cat will walk up to me and "yell" at me very loud demanding a chin or an ear scritch,
lol, I oblidge and we are both happy!
Animals are great for depression, my kitty saw me through some rough times, and I helped her through some bad stuff as well. It is so rewarding to take in an animal and care for it, they are unconditional love.

ETA: you are not at all selfish for wanting a little furry companion to help you! You are doing a good thing by giving an animal a good and loving home!

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

Is she rolling around a lot, following you around endlessly, rubbing her face on anything and everything?
Have you been spying on us?

Wow, that is EXACTLY what she has been doing! I thought maybe she had an anxiety/attention problem.

Yes, I can certainly give her attention, but she is unsatiable. I could only imagine what she'd be like without me here. She'd probably be quite lonely.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Have you been spying on us?

Wow, that is EXACTLY what she has been doing! I thought maybe she had an anxiety/attention problem.

Yes, I can certainly give her attention, but she is unsatiable. I could only imagine what she'd be like without me here. She'd probably be quite lonely.
No not spying, lol, just have had cats in heat, and yours sounds like she is most definatly there! She will be unsatiable till the heat is over, there is really nothing you can do except give her lots of love and perhaps get some ear plugs!
When I first got Ginger, I was really nervous about the transition process from her former (abusive) home to mine as I have dealt with former abused kittys and knew it was going to be a tough road ahead. I got this rolling around meowing lovey dove of a kitty and thought I was just an awsome human and she must be picking up on my animal love vibes. She was in heat, lol, she loved everone at that point!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found this list of low cost spay/neuters in Ontario.

Fixed Fur Life ( Belleville area)
City of Sudbury
City of Ottawa
Barrie SPCA and City of Barrie
London
Jazzpurr Society, Windsor
Gananoque
Kingston Humane Society
Toronto Animal Services – Two Spay Neuter Clinics
Spaycentral Toronto

Also try your local SPCA for resources. Sounds like you should really get your baby spayed as soon as possible.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
one comment: Dont spay during the heat. Spay in between. Much easier for the vet and more risk-free.

one advice: make it possible for her to climb. Set up some boards or so...
Think 3D if you dont have much surface.

Good you have each other, helping each other out from your respective trouble.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are bless, the same thing happened to a friend of mine, she was so embarrassed she wouldn't let anyone round her house until kitty had stopped
She was all over the place rubbing and rolling and loving and meowing
I don't think you are being selfish at all, there is nothing wrong with the size of your house or that you are looking after a kitty and hoping that she will help your depression, i hope she does too
I think that getting her spayed will be a good idea, bless. Take care and enjoy your new kitty

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After a night of meowing she's been quite restful today. I made her a few string toys and tired her out with exercise. She's eating fine.

Tomorrow I'll be taking her to get a booster shot and then get her spayed.

Thanks so much for the list of clinics whiteforest. Toronto is the closest, so I'll phone them up. I may have to spend more money and get her done locally though because of transportation issues.

I'll see about making her a little fort to play in and climb, but by the looks of it she wouldn't be interested.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This isn't an original thought with me (wish it was; I like it a lot) but I think it's true: Rescue animals rescue us.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cheers to you for adopting a shelter cat! It was a wonderful thing to do and as others have said, I don't think the size of your home will be an issue. Good luck to you and please let us know how everything works out.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I may have to spend more money and get her done locally though because of transportation issues.
You can mention to your local vet she is from a shelter. With a little luck, you may get some price-reduction. Some vets do so.

Idea: Ask the shelter for advice! There is a good chance the shelter will help you with the price-reduction. They surely cooperate with some vets. Good shelter do always prefer their protegés are neutered/spayed.

Ps. This is nothing to feel awkward for.
Asking the shelter for advice, in this case asking for a good and cheap vet. In a good shelter they will only be happy you ask. It will be a proof for them you are a responsible owner.

It may be awkward to ask your local vet for price-reduction. This is why I only talk about mentioning the cat is from a shelter. The rest is for the vet to do or not do.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

yup, she's in heat. all of mine [that made it that far before being fixed] did that same thing.
btw - your place is not too small, IMO... but then, i have 5 cats in 927 sq ft

however, i do have 4 cat trees!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My brother has 5 indoor cats and 2 outdoor cats in less than 900 sq ft. And if he didn't have them, he'd probably be suicidal, too. His cats have been his salvation.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If she's in heat, her behavour will be all about that. Once she is out of heat or you get her spayed, she might be more spunky and wanting to climb/play. Delilah had no interest in anything (not even her sister and favourite playmate Belle) other than being pet when she was in heat. She basically just moped around the apartment all day and screamed all night. I don't see how anyone handles seeing their pet in such a condition on a regular basis!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

If she's in heat, her behavour will be all about that. Once she is out of heat or you get her spayed, she might be more spunky and wanting to climb/play. Delilah had no interest in anything (not even her sister and favourite playmate Belle) other than being pet when she was in heat. She basically just moped around the apartment all day and screamed all night. I don't see how anyone handles seeing their pet in such a condition on a regular basis!
Yes indeed they are focused on, well, uh, trying to get some. That is what all the meowing is about, they are calling to the tom cats letting them know they are ready to mate.The face rubbing is leaving their scent to follow. Not sure what all the rolling around means, but I would guess that it is a sign they are not looking for a fight.
Don't be worried if your kitty sleeps more than normal for a couple days after the heat cycle ends, its normal, the poor little things are just so exhausted.
As said, spaying is a must if you are not a breeder. They can devolop many health problems, and its just plain cruel IMO to let them suffer like that again and again.

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I woke up today early to start calling vets to spay her. The phone battery had died (leaking) so my phone is not working. I got quarters to go to a pay phone and as soon as I stepped out of the door I realised that it was thanks giving.

I lost my vet records for her and I've looked for hours. At least I have the receipt so I can go back and a new copy from the shelter.

Guess she's in great hands. * sigh *

StefanZ,

I'll be asking the shelter about a neuter clinic as soon as they open. Thanks.

Thanks to all of you. You have been so supportive.