she doesn't play

j fred muggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i am all bummed out.....lil bit..... we tok her down and had her fixed, it was the right thing to do. male cats coming out of the woods, circling the house
i was like the father of a 16 year old girl, keep her inside and shoeing away boys at the same time. but the deed was done. she used to chase her little mices all over the house, jumping on them,throwing them in the air, it was better than watchen tv. i would laugh and laugh. and she would play fetch with me. i would throw the ball of tin foil, and she would chase and bring it back. but alas.... she stoped playing, now she sleeps alot and eats like a fat boy,that knows he will never date. is there some kind of hormone orsomething that will bring her back. she has not lost her love just her
playfulness. i bummed out catdaddy

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long ago did you have her spayed?

It happens with all cats, so try not to feel badly.
If it's a recent surgery, she's probably still in recovery so she won't be quite as active for awhile. She will eventually get some of her playfulness back, but I think that after they've been neutered/spayed, they lose some of the hormones that make them so spunky.

I know how you feel, though.
It always depresses me some, too, whenever I have one of mine done. It just seems as if they lose some of their spirit.
But I also know that I'm doing the "right" thing, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

j fred muggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she is all healed up and the hair has grown back, we knew there would be some kind of change, but we had no idea, it would bethis much.
shes healthy, its not that. its the operation poor kitty

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel for you.
My Geronimo was so spirited and such a little devil before he was neutered, but now he's gotten fat & pretty lazy.
I miss him being so high spirited.
He was such a hoot!

But it has to be done, for their own good.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course, about the time cats need to be neutered is also about the time they become adults. Many cats become less playful at that time. If it's been more than a month, then the change may be more or less permanent, but don't bet on it. Cats can fool you.

sport

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Of course, about the time cats need to be neutered is also about the time they become adults. Many cats become less playful at that time. If it's been more than a month, then the change may be more or less permanent, but don't bet on it. Cats can fool you.
I agree, try not to let it get you down. Deep down inside that sleepy kitty is your energetic little girl. She may surprise you one day

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When we got Ella from the shelter, we thought she was just a calm, adult female cat. Our staid "Victorian Lady." She has turned into a kitten, despite the fact she's about 4 years old. In fact, she's chasing around out in the living room right now with Punkin and Sterling. She loves a shoestring, and she sits on her "cat toy paper" just waiting for a chance to play.

Our Victorian lady:

jenny_may

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
when i got my lily she was a crazy cat...and after we had her spayed, we were worried about her losing her spark...she lost it for a couple of months because she had to have another op and recover...but now she is back to being a crazy cat but even more loving. i guess it can go both ways, for me, she is a much nicer cat after being spayed although i do always feel mean about taking away her ability to have babies...

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure you're not letting her overeat... a lazy cat won't need as much as an active cat and if she gets overweight she'll be less likely to return to the spunky girl you had.