Who else uses Amlodipine (Norvasc) for their Cats?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco just started Amlodipine (Norvasc) last Monday.
How often does your Vet take a bp test?
Coco goes on Oct 21 for her bp test and other tests.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chynna is on 1.25 mg every day since the beginning of March. I took her in at the end of March for a 1 month follow up. Her blood pressure was much better. My vet didn't say that she had to go in again, so I didn't take her.

Her prescription ran out a month or so ago after she had been on it for 6 months. I called to get another one and asked if I needed to bring her in first. I was told "not unless you have some concerns and she's acting sickly again." She wasn't. So I just picked up another prescription.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

We will go Oct 21 to get Cocos bp again.
Does your cat have other problems?
I took her in to the Vet at the end of February because she was looking and feeling sickly. She had diarrhea and had vomited several times, and she felt warm and was lethargic.

Turns out she had a bit of a bug, but the vet felt that her vomiting was a direct symptom of her high blood pressure. Since she's been on Norvasc her vomiting has decreased drastically. She still throws up on occasion, but it's usually in the middle of the night, a few hours before her blood pressure pill is due.

She has some mild renal insufficiency but it's not failure. And she is mostly toothless since her dental in April. Other than that she's a healthy 16 year old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Vet told me Coco has renal insufficiency.
He also said it will go to failure.
Her Bun is 79 but the vet did say some of it can be from her bladder problems.
I wonder if her throwing up has been from the bp?
I hope your cat keeps doing well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope its soon.
She does not eat alot though.
What time of the day to you give the med.
I have been give it around 6PM.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give Chynna her's in the morning, usually between 5am and 8am.

I gave her first dose around dinner time, and then gave her a morning dose the next day and kept on giving it in the morning because I'm not always going to be home at dinner time when I start working evenings, so mornings works best for me.

Giving it when you do should be ok, just keep giving it around the same time.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you started giving it in the evening around 6pm, ideally you need to work your way back towards morning by giving the medication a bit earlier each day until you reach the time you want to give it consistently.

For example let's say that you gave the medication yesterday (Saturday) at 6pm, but want to give the medication at 6am every morning, do the following:

Sunday instead of giving it in the evening at 6pm, give it around 2pm. Then the next day give it a bit earlier yet, perhaps around 10am. Then the next day give it at 6am.