Question for those of you who run

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It seems that lately every time I try to run about a minute into it I get a terrible side cramp and I either have to slow to a walk or stop all together till it goes away but when I try to run again it comes back. What causes this to happen? And is there anything to prevent it from happening?

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When this happens to me, it helps to really concentrate on my breathing. First, though, I put my arm up over my head (the arm on the side where the stitch is) and slowly stretch that whole side, bending to the opposite side of the stitch.

Then I try to take some deep breaths. Sort of hard to describe online, but try to take some breaths all the way down to your stomach. Don't raise your shoulders, like a big gulp of breath, just slowly take in a deep breath so your ribcage seems to expand. Put your hands on your lower ribs, under your chest, so you can feel them expand. This will stretch your diaphragm and get it to relax.

Then, I try to remember this when I'm running. Not shallow breathing, but slow, deep breathing that expands the ribcage. (It's sort of a singer's trick, too.)

Hope that helps. As I said, it's sort of hard to describe online. Easier to demonstrate.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sis who was a college coach also recommended running with your arms up in the air-looks a bit silly but it works.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

My sis who was a college coach also recommended running with your arms up in the air-looks a bit silly but it works.
I've heard that too.....the idea being, I guess, to stretch that diaphragm and relax it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Better to get side pains than chest pains... Hence the reason I don't run unless completely necessary (something better be chasing me).

When I was younger I use to have a very odd problem that would cause me side pains every time I ran and sometimes when I moved wrong - my bottom two ribs on each side would catch under the third from the bottom.
I'm glad I lost mobility there with age.