Top of fridge no longer safe

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For the last year or so that I've had cats I've always considered the top of the refrigerator (about 6ft tall) as a "safe" place. About a month ago I got another cat Charlie (2yr male, cream tabby) and he has proven that wrong at least twice now.

The first time I saw him jump up there he went from the counter (which is about 4 feet away). But last night I saw him jump directly from the floor to the top of the fridge.

I've read about cats sitting on top of doorways and such and just assumed there was a piece of furniture for them to jump from but now I'm not so certain.

Mez

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mezlo

For the last year or so that I've had cats I've always considered the top of the refrigerator (about 6ft tall) as a "safe" place. About a month ago I got another cat Charlie (2yr male, cream tabby) and he has proven that wrong at least twice now.

The first time I saw him jump up there he went from the counter (which is about 4 feet away). But last night I saw him jump directly from the floor to the top of the fridge.

I've read about cats sitting on top of doorways and such and just assumed there was a piece of furniture for them to jump from but now I'm not so certain.

Mez
Persi has been mad ever since we moved into this new house because he cannot get on top of the fridge since cupboards are directly overhead. Poor guy, he no longer has that vantage point.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To reach the top of ours, the cats learned to climb the curtains then tightrope walk the curtain rod to the fridge. They would also get to the top of the broom closet where the kitchen clock was mounted and sit behind it.

Then wag their tails like a pendulum.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father's cat Humphrey used to jump from the floor to the top of the fridge. Then he'd walk through my mother's plate racks (mounted on the wall) towards the door and lay on the one nearest the door to watch people come in.

Once he jumped onto my babysitter's head from the plate rack...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every cat I've ever had will eventually figure out a way to make it to the top of the fridge.

Maverick can make it to the top of a door.
It's his favorite spot in the house!

There is no "safe" place when you have cats!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so true, there is no safe place! My cat Fiona loves the top of doors and the fridge. She also jumps on top of the cabinets. I have no idea how she does it because she cannot stand upright on top of the cabinets and yet she can jump from the sink to the top of the cabinets with no probelm. Cats are so cool!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DeeDeeMay

I think it's bad enough when Shark tries to climb inside the fridge
Yeah, that would be Butzie. Cupboards and the refrigerator are to explore. The funniest thing is that she doesn't eat people food except for canned tuna.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of mine do this, too -Daphne more than Seb. They jump from chair to table to sink, over to counter, onto cooktop and up to fridge. Then, they jump on the high cabinets that run length of kitchen. I let them. After all, this space is their whole world. I just take care to make sure there is nothing on any surface that can hurt them.