Could I get your opinion on this, please?

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As a lot of you here know, I'm pretty proficient at computer graphics, and I'm also a pretty major fan of Paul Stanley from Kiss.

Even though I'm more of a computer graphic person, I'm always trying my hand at "real" painting. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's just passable, and sometimes, it just plain doesn't work at all. Anyway, I've finally completed a "real" painting of Paul Stanley and I would like to share it with you all, and hopefully get your opinions on it. It's my personal best, but that doesn't mean it's great or good, it just means it's the best I've been able to do. I am by no means a whiz at painting, but I love doing it, anyway. Well... Here's my Paul painting. I'm planning on giving him a scan of it, in hopes that he will see that it is honouring him, and not insulting him.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Hope that is really good. You really captured him with the eyes, which is so very hard to do. You need to be proud of this painting!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like it. The important thing for a painting to do is to capture some "feeling." If you want accuracy, there are plenty of photographs around. But most photographs are dry and sterile, with little capture of the soul.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is fantastic!!! No way could I ever paint anything half as good! I love the background and his hair and his jacket! All of it is fantastic!

midnighttrain

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it is very good!

A little painter's secret, make a grid over the photo you're working from and the blank canvas. Makes it easier for me to get everything placed just right.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope, I think it looks great! I especially like the eyes and the hair. Was this actual paint on canvas, or a computer paint program? Either way, well done!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Hope, I think it looks great! I especially like the eyes and the hair. Was this actual paint on canvas, or a computer paint program? Either way, well done!
This is actual paint on canvas, although it orginated as a pencil sketch. I started this picture before I even had a computer, then I shelved it, thinking it just wasn't good enough. I started it in about 1995 or so, then just set it aside.

krazycatlover

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really like it. I like the fact that it doesn't look like a photo it looks like a painting and I like the imperfections. Not that they are imperfections that's just the only word I could think of to describe it but I Like it that way.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks everyone, for the positive comments on my painting. You don't know how much it means to me.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its pretty. I can paint better animals/scenes. Cannot do people to save my life....I admire those that can make people look like people

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I like it. The important thing for a painting to do is to capture some "feeling." If you want accuracy, there are plenty of photographs around. But most photographs are dry and sterile, with little capture of the soul.
Hope, I'm glad you shelved it and didn't toss it! It was worth keeping - look what you've done with it!
OF COURSE he'd be honored and not offended!

Laurie

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
you've definitely captured a 'likeness' which is where my failings as an artist are. i can make people that look like people - but i can't do people that look like a particular person... except accidently.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

you've definitely captured a 'likeness' which is where my failings as an artist are. i can make people that look like people - but i can't do people that look like a particular person... except accidently.
I agree that you definitely captured Paul's likeness. The mouth, chin, eyes are all very distinctive and you caught them right on. I would know this was Paul if you had not stated so. I think he would be honored as well.

Great job! Keep painting as you are good at it, and obviously it is good for you since you enjoy it so much.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope, you've done something that I find impossible: made it look like the person it's supposed to be! Good work!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much, you are definately giving me the nerve to send him a copy of my painting. I know if I were really nice, I'd give him the original, but I worked so hard on it, and I don't think I could part with it.