I have a cat that sees the dead...

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm... freaking out.

Mackerel spent about half an hour this evening staring intently at the corner where the wall meets the ceiling. There was NOTHING there.

But. Apparently about a week before we moved in, a month ago, the woman who lived in that apartment died.

I moved Mackerel away from the wall a couple of times, and she just moved right back there and kept staring. I tried to distract her with toys with no luck.

Is this a strange cat thing or is my cat actually communicating with the dead?

--------------

Sorry, this was actually.. sort of a joke. XD I was kidding. I don't actually believe that my cat sees ghosts. I don't believe in spirits. It was kind of creepy, but I knew there was another explanation for it. :p

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No you probably have a mouse or a bug in the wall. Their hearing is more acute than ours and they can hear the slightest noise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha, thanks Hissy. XD I was kidding- didn't really believe there was a ghost there. I didn't know that cats have much more acute hearing, though. That's really interesting.

dave_l

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There could be dust particles or shifting patterns of light or shadows. My kitties sometimes stare and meow at the wall or ceiling, and there's nothing there I can see.

There could also be a residual odor from something.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jalindal

Haha, thanks Hissy. XD I was kidding- didn't really believe there was a ghost there. I didn't know that cats have much more acute hearing, though. That's really interesting.
Oh I wouldn't be too sure

In the early 1980's I had lived in an apartment. During that time I had 2 different cats. Kira who I gave up to the Humane Society (long story) and Chynna who I had found a few days after giving Kira up.

Both cats avoided one area in the hallway in front of the closet, like it had the plague. They would walk around it, never over it. They would sit at a distance and stare at it, and occasionally growl while passing it or staring at it.

I lived there from 1992 to 1994. I moved out because I was going back to school and I needed to decrease my rent expenses plus I wanted to be closer to nursing school. A couple weeks before I moved out one of the tenants in the building mentioned to me that someone had been found dead in my apartment. He couldn't remember if it was just before I had moved in or if there had been other tenants in the apartment in between.

The place had been completely redone. The flooring had been replaced and the place painted.

So I have no doubt that my cats had reacted to something that happened at that spot.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, could be many things. Some even believe the kitties are communicating with the mothership.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For a while at my old house, Rosie would sit at the bottom of the bed staring at the wall. Weeks later i had a psychic at the house with some friends, and it was then he told me that my late mum was sitting at the end of the bed watching me sleep.

Did Rosie see my mum?, it makes me wonder.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

No you probably have a mouse or a bug in the wall. Their hearing is more acute than ours and they can hear the slightest noise.

BUT....

I once had two cats who were really close to each other: they were about the same age, and were pretty much raised together. One of them (Foxy) developed an inoperable brain tumor, and I had to have him PTS. About a week or so after that, the other cat (BuffPuff) suddenly started freaking out, and was hissing & spitting at a specific spot in the living room: I looked to see just what he was getting all riled up over, but there was nothing there - just air. This occurred several times over the next few days. Call me crazy, but I honestly think that Foxy's spirit was still present, and BuffPuff could sense it somehow, and that's what he was getting all riled up over..

I have no doubt that cats can sense things that we can't...

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have posted this before. I live in a house that was built in 1905 and we have weird things that happen here. One evening I was standing at my kitchen doorway looking out to the living room and you can see a part of the stairs that lead up to bedrooms upstairs(I keep one of the bedroom doors shut all the time because this room is eerie) Our bedroom is on the main floor. Anyway, my 2 cats were standing close to me when I saw a shadow come down the stairs. I would have passed this off as my imagination but my cats saw it at the same time I did!!! This shadow truned around and went back up the stairs with my cats running up the stairs behind it. Their tails were puffed out and they sat on the landing before the stairs turn to get to top level. They sat and stared at something and I know they didn't imagine it!!! I have heard weird noises upstairs like somebody is walking across a wood floor. Only there is carpeting up there. There has been many other things that have happened here. It would take to long to type it all out! Yes, I believe in spirits.