Looking For Some Advice Please

preciouskits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All

I am looking for some advice on starting my own cattery. I have not yet made a for sure decision to do this yet but am doing my research and would like to hear from others about how they got started and what steps I will need to go through to start my own cattery if I decide to do so.

I am a stay at home mom and have a lot of time to devote to my kitties (Himalayans and Persians are my passion). As well, I have always been an animal lover, for as long as I can remember. My best friends were and are my pets and I treat my pets as if they are family. They are fed high quality food (Orijen) and are regularly taken to the vets.

You could ask everyone from my family to my friends to my vet just how much I care about my animals and love them. I know that being a reputable breeder can be quite challengeing and stressful but I also know that it can be very rewarding.

I have done my research on the Himalayan and Persian breed. I also have researched health and nutrition and do plan on taking my veterinary assistance course quite soon to further my knowledge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. You cannot find too much information online and I have emailed other catteries to ask for help but have so far received no replies.

Thank you very much

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are serious about a future cattery, you don't just start out with breeding cats.

The best way is to first decide on ONE breed (not multiple) and learn everything (good and bad) about the breed, the health problems, pedigrees, top winning cats, etc. You should start with a SHOW QUALITY ALTERED CAT and work on that one cat in shows, grooming, etc. The goal is to produce quality cats (not quantity) and to improve your chosen breed. If your goal is anything else (money, etc.) then you are in the wrong business.

Most breeders will not sell unaltered breeding cats to novice people. You need to get to know breeders, your intentions, develop an eye for type, know pedigrees and THEN ask to work with a trusted breeder with your first breeding cats.

This is not done overnight or a few months - this is leg work for years before you get to that point in time.

I showed cats for a good 5 years before I considered breeding my own and starting a cattery. My first pedigree was Russian Blues, then Cornish Rexes. I have an Ocicat now (will have a 2nd one next spring) but have no desire to go back into breeding cats. Its not all fun and games. It takes a lot of money to start, time, energy and committment. Breeders now keep kittens for 3-4 months and they are spayed/neutered before placing in new homes. You have to be willing to take back any cats the owners cannot keep. You are responsible for every kitten you may produce.

And keep in mind that male cats (unneutered) will spray sooner or later and have to be caged. They also require at least 2-3 girls to keep them happy.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend bred Persians and it did not go well at all.
Peaches the Mom is dead and most her litters of kittens died also.
I helped her name her cattery.
Most the Kittens Jean Luc fathered died and my friend has given up breeding persians. My other friend bred Ragdolls and everything went well.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You should start with a SHOW QUALITY ALTERED CAT
Starting with an alter to show is the best way to go. This way you learn about the standard of the breed, meet other breeders, learn the lines you like and dislike, learn about genetics and health, and grooming. By doing this you are proving yourself responsible and dedicated to your chosen breed. Without showing an alter first you will find it very difficult to find a reputable breeder to give you breeding rights.

So I suggest in going to some shows and talking with some breeders about a kitten to show in the alter class.

I have shown Somalis for 2 years and I am now waiting for my first breeding female.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello

I didn't read in your first post what your purpose is in breeding. Do you plan to show cats? If your goal is to produce kittens just to sell them to good homes, you will find that you won't get much support. There are already millions (not exaggeration) of cats and kittens that need good homes.

If you find a cattery that is willing to sell you a un-restricted breeding cat, then you are running a serious risk of buying a poor quality cat. Responsible breeders will not sell their cats unless they are under a spay/neuter agreement.

To show your cats, you must realize that you will spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars in travel expenses (hotels, fuel, food). It has to be something that you love doing, so that you overlook the costs.

As others have suggested, go to a few shows and see what they are like. One option may be fostering a pregnant queen for an agreeable breeder. Then you could enjoy the experience of kitten raising without the trouble of finding homes and/or showing.

I don't mean to sound negative. I am a fledgling breeder myself, but I have been pestering this board and cat shows for a year just to get the point I'm at now. I have never bred a cat, but there is a possibility I will, next year.

I am also making arrangements to fly from Vancouver to Baltimore in December just to talk with some knowledgeable breeders and to pick up a female cat. It's a holiday for me as well, but I understand it's necessary to ensure that I do as much research as I possibly can before starting on this path.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have chosen possibly one of the toughest breeds (color/division irrespective) in the world to breed. Why?

1. Persians are THE most popular breed of cat in the world, from the beginning your competition is already very very hard
2. To put it bluntly, Persians are very hard to breed, especially if you are intending to show (which is advisable).
3. No offense intended but, the best lines in Persians do not come cheap, nor are they easy to get.
4. Learning how to groom a Persian correctly can take months if not years! A mentor for both breeding AND showing is advisable. Just the differences in Persian coat textures are mind boggling!

I second everyone's recommendation that you start out with a Show Neuter and begin to show. This way, you get to meet and understand what you're really up against!

Good Luck!