This cat drinks a lot!

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This cat I am temporarily taking care of drinks a lot. I know drinking lots of water can be a sign of renal failure, diabetes, etc.

But honestly, she seems totally fine except she keeps going to the water bowl! It's not even like she drinks TONS of water, I mean, I checked this morning and it was about 1/8 of a cup overnight with some spillage. She just seems to be always drinking!

Her urine in the litter box is normal sized and not much. She is of normal weight, has a normal appetite.

Is this normal behavior or something to be worried about? She is 9 years old.

Thanks!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco is doing that and her Kidneys are bad now.
I would get a Senior Panel and get everything checked.
Can you tell the person who the cat belongs to that she is drinking alot.
Diabetes,Kidney and thyroid can all cause a cat to do that.

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by journey

Her urine in the litter box is normal sized and not much.
How can one estimate 'normal size' btw? Would eg bigger cat usually produce a bit more than smaller if otherwise same conditions/health?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by piikki

How can one estimate 'normal size' btw? Would eg bigger cat usually produce a bit more than smaller if otherwise same conditions/health?
Why I said that is because a friend of mine had a cat with diabetes and she said her pee clumps were HUGE and heavy.

And no, I don't speak to the owner anymore so can't ask her anything.

dave_l

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does she eat dry food, wet food, or both?

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dave_L

Does she eat dry food, wet food, or both?
She eats both. The owner had been feeding her Friskies wet (ugh, I know), and Nutro weight management dry (weight management due to her other fat cat).

I mean, how many times should a cat be peeing a day anyway?

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
I deal with diabetic cats. You did not mention any weight loss or abnormal eating habits
so I am not sure it is diabetes as there can be many reasons for this. Pick up the skin by the nape of the neck and let it drop. it should fall very quickly back into place. if it goes slowly, your cat is dehydrated and a trip to the vets would be in order
If your cat eats both wet and dry, there really is no reason to feed the dry food. It does dehydrate.

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by optionken

Hi
I deal with diabetic cats. You did not mention any weight loss or abnormal eating habits
so I am not sure it is diabetes as there can be many reasons for this. Pick up the skin by the nape of the neck and let it drop. it should fall very quickly back into place. if it goes slowly, your cat is dehydrated and a trip to the vets would be in order
If your cat eats both wet and dry, there really is no reason to feed the dry food. It does dehydrate.
No, there is no weight loss or abnormal eating habits.

I did the skin test. To me, it just went back to normal quickly, but how can you tell with all that fur?!!