Wow that's new. is this normal?

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens are about 5.5 weeks old. Something like that.

Last night they were all nursing peacefully. All of a sudden this horrible screeching started. I looked over and mom had jumped up and left the pen. Two kittens had started a knock down drag out fight. it was EXTREMELY violent. There was no playing involved here. they were biting each other's faces, screeching horribly and all the other kittens ran away.

I didn't do much but separate them and it was fine. but is that normal? I'm not worried or anything, just curious

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had kittens do it before, but there's always a first time.

If you haven't started trimming kitten nails, I would strongly advise you to start. All you need to do is nip off the tiny sharp tips on the front feet for now with a small nail clipper.

mommysmeows

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
whoa - I would have separated that mess. Scary... Wonder what sparked that!

As the pp said, start trimming claws now... sounds like they need it done.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you sure it was violent? I mean kittens will play REALLY hard and squeak and bite and scratch. They will stalk each other, but its all in play, even though it looks harsh. They will also be teaching each other limits when they do this too.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe they both wanted the nipple with chocolate milk.

I have seen kittens argue over a nipple but not that violently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Are you sure it was violent? I mean kittens will play REALLY hard and squeak and bite and scratch. They will stalk each other, but its all in play, even though it looks harsh. They will also be teaching each other limits when they do this too.
yeah there was no doubt this was very violent and serious. When it happened the other kittens, AND the mother scattered and formed a circle watching them. There was no playing in this at all.

I have some special clippers. I'll trime them starting tonight.