Are those online colleges on the up and up?

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was doing some research, I am thinking of a career change, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the online colleges? Like Pheonix?
Are they creditable?

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carwashcats

I was doing some research, I am thinking of a career change, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the online colleges? Like Pheonix?
Are they creditable?
I haven't had any personal experience with online colleges, but a lot of students have loans with us. (I work for a federal student loan company) I know the University of Phoenix is on the up and up. What you need to do is research the schools. If their website has EDU as their domain, they are probably ok since they are acredited with the US Dept of Education. I know that online classes are the rage today with the working set who don't have time to go to traditional classes. I would be leary of schools that are just online. Most acredited schools that have regular classes also have online classes.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good advice above. You'll need to do a LOT of investigation to make sure you're not dealing with a "diploma mill."

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard the University of Phoenix is on the up and up - a guy I work with did classes through them for awhile. I would definitely research research research on any of the others. Like mentioned above, some are just degree mills!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INFO! I will research, but if I decide to it will probably be the U OF P!! Catkiki, I am going to pm you sometime, if thats ok? I have some questions! If not it's not a big deal just let me know!! Thanks again everyone!!!
Monique

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
U of P is on the up and up but be aware that they are VERY expensive and it can be hard to get ahold of your advisors at times (my roommate went through them this semester and emailed and called her advisor(s) for two months before getting a response. (One left the school, one was sick, but no one took over their people or sent out an email.
)

She's switching to a different online school that's far cheaper. Do your research, make sure they're acredited and if you have credits to transfer PRESS them about whether they have a transfer cap, how many will transfer and how many won't. She was told about 60 to 70 of her credits would transfer but found out later it was actually 50! That meant she'd suddenly have to go to school for nearly another year when she already had over 70 credits elsewhere!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carwashcats

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INFO! I will research, but if I decide to it will probably be the U OF P!! Catkiki, I am going to pm you sometime, if thats ok? I have some questions! If not it's not a big deal just let me know!! Thanks again everyone!!!
Monique
You and anyone else on here is more than welcome to PM me with questions about student loans. I have worked for Direct Student Loans for 8 1/2 yrs and I will be happy to help.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah University of Phoenix was around long before the Internet was. My guess would agree they're legit.

I'd also say PM'ing Catkiki would be a pretty giant bonus as clearly she's got the inside scoop.

Hope your career change goes well. sometimes it's great to get a fresh start. I did it about 16 years ago and am very glad I did.

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Univ. of Phoenix is a pretty good school and their online program is not a diploma mill type of program.

There are a lot of lesser known online schools that you should stay away from. I would go with a name-brand college and make sure it's accredited by a reputable accreditation program. It would be a lot of wasted money on a crumby school that won't help you to get a better education or job later on.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be careful and do a lot of reasearch.

My friend is now going back to school to get her GED because the HS diploma that she got onlne is not good with our college. Whats really messed up is that the BOE told her to use this online school at the cost of 1,000 to get her diploma and now she finds out it worthless and she is out 1,000.

I have done some reasearch on online schools. One of the things I have found is that it seems hard for you to transfer to a brick and mortor school with an online diploma. Example of that would be say you get an online tech. cert in Criminal Justice and later you want to go to a local school to make that tech. cert into a diploma or degree. A lot of reginal schools seem to not accept online degrees. So do your research.

If you want to know the name of the online place she got that diploma from PM me.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cousin is working on her masters through an online school. But it's part of a school that has an actual physical campus. I know one of the universities in my town here now has several programs entirely online.

Everyone is right in saying to really research it all. I know my cousin has to travel several times for practicum type things. She's at one for 2 weeks now.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriends my goes to school online, its through some college in Florida, I'm not sure which one though. It has worked well for her, because she is a mom and works full time. School wouldn't have been possible for her if she hadn't been able to do it online.

wildfire203

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I go to university of phoenix they are deff on the up and up they are a bit on the pricey side but I've never had a problem get in touch with teachers or advisors. I really like the way their online classrooms are set up.