need help!!

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
anybody recognize anything here??

Hobbs stopped eating about 2 days ago; wont eat or drink. I took him to the vet yesterday. They ran a full panel of blood tests: only irregularities: slightly low white blood cell count, and slightly high thyroid level. According to the vet, nothing really alarming, just noteworthy. Hobbs hasnt been throwing up, he peed and pooped last night. He is just lethargic, and again he wont eat. Yesterday he sat down in a secluded place behind the television which he rarely does.

The vet gave him a subcutaneous injection of fluids so he will be hydrated for the next day or two until the fluids are used up. We have three other cats, all in good health. All the cats have had their immunizations. All the cats are indoor cats. We have no real plants in the house. Right now the vet said to watch him and if he doesnt eat again today, he wants to see him again for xrays, and maybe more tests.

Any thoughts on what this could be?? Thanks for any help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also need to note that he hasnt been throwing up, he had no fever, and he is 8 years old. Thanks!!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't offer advice but I'm sure someone will be along to advise you. Prayers and for your little one.

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

I can't offer advice but I'm sure someone will be along to advise you. Prayers and for your little one.
Thank you for your thoughts.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no .......... sending many thoughts and prayers for your boy.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm having the same problem with Riley right now, except his started with vomiting and diarrhea. Has your kitty had any of that?

Riley had blood tests, x-rays, fecals and several other tests yesterday that were all negative. He'll be going back tomorrow for more if he doesn't eat today.

I hope you get some answers soon too!

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

Alley girl: I have solicited advice from an online vet. Here is her response. This might help you too.
======================================================

Dear friend,

I am sorry your boy is not feeling well. Anytime a cat wont eat he is either sick or in pain. Subcutaneous hydration only lasts 30 hours so. If it was dehydration Hobbs should have felt like eating 20 minutes after he got it.

He should have tests for:

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/hyperthyroidism.html
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/diabetes.html
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/renal.html

So bring home with you:

A can of tuna in water

A bottle of plain pedialyte

3 jars of baby food with no onion powder - chicken - beef - lamb or turkey

plain yogurt.

whole milk if he is constipated

infant rice cereal if he has diarrhea

First offer him the tuna water to drink.They try tuna, baby food, watered down fancy feast.

If he wont eat, and your cat is not diabetic begin by giving him two droppers (cc size) of unflavored pedialyte every ten minutes for an hour. Next water down(plain water) canned cat food or baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic and give only one dropper every ten minutes for another hour. Wait two hours and repeat both. When he feels hydrated he will lick up the gruel on his own.

Please get right back to me for further instructions. I hope your boy eats these things.
===============================================