Oh. My. God. She fetches!!

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As some of you no doubt know, I adopted Mackerel less than a month ago. This has lead to a few very surprising discoveries.. one of which I've just made.

She fetches!

Oh my God!

My dogs didn't even fetch.

Just now, I was sitting on the couch, typing on my laptop, and she came running right up to couch, leapt up onto it, and dropped her toy mouse about half a metre away from me. I know she likes to chase it, (my partner and I kick it around the apartment whenever we see it on the floor...) so I picked it up and threw it away.

She immediately went running after it, and came bounding back with it in her mouth, only to throw it down at my side again.

Repeat half a dozen times, and it's definitely a game of fetch.

This is me right now:

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hehe teaching bad habits already hehee.
sometimes my arm gives out before eazy gets tired of playing fetch. lol

hehe even i have to admit its cute when they bring it back and drop it in front of you , then look up at like ,, well what are you waiting on throw it already

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How could I resist??? She was having so much fun.

She has really thick fur on her paws around her pads, and when she runs on our polished wooden floorboards she makes this squeak-squeak-squeak sound that's just hilarious. XD

I can't wait for my partner to get home from work so I can show him. :-D

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jalindal

As some of you no doubt know, I adopted Mackerel less than a month ago. This has lead to a few very surprising discoveries.. one of which I've just made.

She fetches!

Oh my God!

Just now, I was sitting on the couch, typing on my laptop, and she came running right up to couch, leapt up onto it, and dropped her toy mouse about half a metre away from me. I know she likes to chase it, (my partner and I kick it around the apartment whenever we see it on the floor...) so I picked it up and threw it away.

She immediately went running after it, and came bounding back with it in her mouth, only to throw it down at my side again.

This is me right now:
My Dusty does that.... I have a lot of fun with her.... except when she wants to play fetch at 3:30 in the morning

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol - I know I'm probably training her to do something that I'll regret later, but it's so much fun! 3:30 AM, though? That's rough.

She slept in my room last night for the first time and woke me up at 6:30 by jumping onto my chest and purring in my face. Adorable. But not when I want to be woken on the one day I don't have work or uni. XD

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tinker started doing this a month or so ago. It's a regular thing now. And it's so cute when she does it. She drops it in front of me, and I throw it. But she HAS to see my hands go. If she tries to look down the hall and wait she won't notice it. lol.

Also, the little grunts she makes while running are just about the sweetest thing ever. She sometimes doesn't realize my arms aren't 20 feet long so I have to get up to get it. but most times she drops it right next to me.

I love playing fetch with her, but my arm/attention span gives out long before she does.

Anyway, back to your cat. It's great isn't it? I bet it surprised you

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fastnoc- that's adorable. I just have this mental image now of a cat grunting as she runs down the hall. How sweeeet. D'awww.

Mackerel's curled up asleep next to me now, sleeping the sleep of the absolutely exhausted, so clearly my attention span and stamina beats hers... but we were playing with her mouse-on-a-string earlier, so I guess she's tuckered out from that as well.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can teach your cat what 'fetch' means, youll be able to enjoy that game forever hopefully. it is so great to not have to get up everytime!

Kitty used to fetch, now she prefers to be difficult. but we know she knows how because she used to fetch!
thats a cat for you.

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

She fetches!

Oh my God!

This is me right now:
you sound like me the first time Mai Sai taught me how to play (I swear it was his idea). I was so amazed I had t record it, though its not the best res (http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y15...t=MOV02557.flv).
Do you by any chance know what breed she is? or breeds for that matter. I've been wondering if maybe its a breed thing? If anyone else's cat does this, the same question to you...

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha. Mai Shai looks exactly like Mackerel did when she was fetching- completely manic. Very excited. How adorable. :p

We got Mackerel from the Cat Haven here- so officially she's a DMH, but apparently she looks like she has some Maine Coon in her background.

What do you think?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, they are veeerrrry smart babies! Yes, cats can fetch. hee, hee! They love to chase!

We had this black cat in rescue who did the cutest thing. My BF was playing with him with the feather toy on a stick. The cat, Kaalu, grabbed it and ran off with it. He laid on the ground playing with it for a while, but got bored. So he picked up the feathery part in his mouth,dragged it over to my BF and dropped it in front of him! He said down and looked at Doug as if to say, ok -- you make it jump around for a while!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its cute eh? Trout has fetched since she was little. I still can't believe she does it! She would do it all day if I didn't have a job and stayed here all the time

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Haha. Mai Shai looks exactly like Mackerel did when she was fetching- completely manic. Very excited. How adorable. :p

We got Mackerel from the Cat Haven here- so officially she's a DMH, but apparently she looks like she has some Maine Coon in her background.

What do you think?
she sure looks like she has a bit of Maine Coon in her, she is very beautiful. Thanks for the answer. I'm pretty sure Mai Sai doesn't have any Maine Coon in him though, so maybe its not a breed thing. I would love to find out what brings this out. Alot of people I told simply wouldn't believe me when I told them he fetches (hence the video)

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The one dog we had--a Norwegian Elkhound--didn't like to fetch. He'd look at us and you could almost hear him say, "Well, if you wanted it, why did you throw it away?" He'd do it a few times, but he'd let you know that he had enough. Unlike (say) a Lab would would gladly do it all day.

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She fetches!

Oh my God!

This is me right now:
That is so cool, you have a very special cat.

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of your kind words, everyone.
Mack's head is getting way too big for her body. :p (I always tell her when people say nice things about her.)

She hasn't fetched since she did it the first time. D: My partner got home and didn't believe me because she... wasn't in the mood, I guess. I wish I'd been smart enough to tape it. :p

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had a lot better luck with a wadded up sheet of paper. For some reason, the cats like to chase it and bring it back. Very easy to pick up, I think, is one of the reasons.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Geronimo just loves to play fetch! I couldn't believe it the first time he did it - I thought it was just a fluke. So I threw the ball to see if he'd do it again, and he did.
He's been doing it ever since - although not quite as much as he used to, b/c he's gotten fat & lazy since being neutered.
He'll only play fetch with "his" special ball, though. Nothing else will suffice..