Have You Ever Had A Near-Death Experience?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just watched an episode of Frasier, in which Niles had open heart surgery and had a near-death experience. It got me to thinking of when I had two of them: once when I was still a kid and almost choked to death on a jawbreaker, and when I had back surgery in which they had a hard time bringing me out of the anesthesia. They told me I was technically dead for several minutes - so now I'm paranoid about having another back surgery.

I never had any afterlife experience or anything like that: I don't recall seeing any angels or anything - everything was just black. Maybe that means I won't be seeing the Pearly gates when my time comes..

Have any of you ever had a near-death experience? Do you recall what it was like?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my grandfather did.
he said,why did they bring me back, i was with god.
and later told us and the doctor never to do that again.

i also know someone that had a very bad NDE, and afterwards went from being a atheist to christen

and by the way, i am paranoid about having my back surgery also.
since they said, there is 50/50 chance i wont be able to walk after

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most people don't believe me when I say that I have had two opportunities where I have been presented with the choice to live or not. I was actually asked (by whom, I am not sure) and I really feel that I did have a choice of whether to continue breathing or not. People say that the unconscious response of breathing would have kicked in had I chose not to breathe. But I am certain that the experiences were more than that. Because it wasn't just a person asking me it was something else.

Now you all probably think that I have had too many welding fumes

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I sure did. In July 2004 when I was being taken to the hospital by ambulance for the second time in 2 days. I swear I was on the verge of dying because I had an out of body experience. While I was still in my apartment surrounded by firemen and paramedics and a few nosy neighbours from my floor, I was looking down at myself and all of these people in my living room. I could tell you what each person looked like, where they were standing and what they were doing. It seemed like it lasted several minutes, but it must have only been 15 or 30 seconds.

When I got to the hospital when the doctor came to see me she said that had I not come in when I did, I would have died.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have. I could see and hear everything that was going on around me, but it seemed to be from a different perspective than lying on the floor. I recall light and different sounds than hospital sounds, but have never been able to piece together exactly what happened.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not I

I've never seen a ghost, or a bigfoot, UFO or anything. I've even been looking for them.

The spirit world doesn't like me

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Don't look so hard. Or book a yourself on a small tour in places that are known to have weird activity. As for UFOs - just look up more.
You'll see some odd things that can't be easily explained by known aircraft at this time. Does this mean I think I seen extraterrestrials - no, just that I saw something I couldn't identify as any planes or helicopters I know.

I've had occasions where I could have easily died/been killed, it's amazing that I'm still here honestly. As for near death experiences, the brain does some funny things as it's dying (heck, it can cause some weird things even when it isn't), there's nothing supernatural about that.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I've had occasions where I could have easily died/been killed, it's amazing that I'm still here honestly. As for near death experiences, the brain does some funny things as it's dying (heck, it can cause some weird things even when it isn't), there's nothing supernatural about that.
I was wondering who would be the first to post the "dying brain activity" perspective. Maybe that's true, but maybe those who have actually had the experiences are right...that's the great thing, nobody knows with 100% certainty!

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

^Don't look so hard. Or book a yourself on a small tour in places that are known to have weird activity. As for UFOs - just look up more.
You'll see some odd things that can't be easily explained by known aircraft at this time. Does this mean I think I seen extraterrestrials - no, just that I saw something I couldn't identify as any planes or helicopters I know.

I've been to Waverly Hills in Louisville, and the Bell Witch cave. They don't like me, I tell you. In fact, I think I ruined the tour for the guide at Waverly Hills. He said that faces have been seen in the windows at night, and I mentioned that there was no doubt about that. When else would the little gangsters paint all that graffitti on the walls? During their lunch break?

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow

I had a sort of close death experience , i was maybe 8/9 years old , and my parents took me , my brother and my friend to the beach , we were not their to swim just to walk the dog ect.. anway they let us swim.. i was having the time of my life , but then i was carried under..

I remember this day so clearly , i was gasping for air while the waves went over our head. I remember choking on the water seeing the figures around me laughing and not seeing where i was (my mum wass with the dog and dad took his eyes off me leaving me with my 10 year old friend and elder brother , my friend realized and they caught me just in time ..

I remember thinking about my life and everything

And i had a sezuire at school.. in the gym changing rooms , and i remember watching myself having a fit..its so weird!

Jess x

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

I've been to Waverly Hills in Louisville, and the Bell Witch cave. They don't like me, I tell you. In fact, I think I ruined the tour for the guide at Waverly Hills. He said that faces have been seen in the windows at night, and I mentioned that there was no doubt about that. When else would the little gangsters paint all that graffitti on the walls? During their lunch break?
been to the bell witch cave,
never saw a ghost. Even when people have said there was a ghost in the room.

the wife best friends says she can see ghosts, and there 2 in this house.
that that i have noticed. i dont believe in ghosts cause that is not the way it works.

Now UFO's i have seen twice. cause i had not a clue as to what it was.
the one was few years ago over cleveland and even made the news for the next couple of days. I will look and see if i can find the police video of it,
i know it used to be on the web.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My late stepfather had an out of body experience. He told me that everything was so peaceful and loving and that he saw relatives of his that had passed on already. From that time on, he was not afraid of death. He couldn't wait to get to Heaven! That was the early 80's and he finally went on October 15th, 2006.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

My late stepfather had an out of body experience. He told me that everything was so peaceful and loving and that he saw relatives of his that had passed on already. From that time on, he was not afraid of death.
Wouldn't out of body experience and near death experience be two different things? People report having OBEs while laying in bed asleep. You also hear stories of people seeing loved ones in their house/bedroom when that person is miles away at home (and not dying).

Originally Posted by clixpix

I was wondering who would be the first to post the "dying brain activity" perspective. Maybe that's true, but maybe those who have actually had the experiences are right...that's the great thing, nobody knows with 100% certainty!
That's cause no one is willing to volunteer for the experiments.

Originally Posted by Skippymjp

When else would the little gangsters paint all that graffitti on the walls? During their lunch break?

I've never had the chance to go on any tours, there's not really much around here except for the "Lady" - the old OKC hospital, but that's definitely not open to the public. The group that used to go in monitoring the place had webcams hooked up in several rooms, people would get some pretty weird screen caps that couldn't be explained by pixalation. I saw some dancing lights on it one night.

But other then that my experience just comes from the weird house I grew up in. It's pretty difficult to dismiss a shadow figure standing in the other room while you and two other people look on in the middle of the day. There was no way it was a cast shadow and it was not faded like a shadow - it was pitch black. We could not see through it, either.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He was declared dead. The doctor went out to tell the family. He mentioned that he saw people around his bed. He wasn't near death, he was dead and came back.

He's with the Lord now...

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting topic. When I was a baby, I was in my room taking a nap and my mom had a feeling to come in a and check on me, so when she came in I was all blue and was not breathing. Come to find out I was choking on a penny! She somehow managed to get the penny out. If she did not come in to check on me I might have died. I do not remember this, but I'm sure it was pretty scary!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That's cause no one is willing to volunteer for the experiments.
And if they do find a volunteer, sometimes things don't work out quite as expected

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first time was in birth - I almost didn't come out, and was a month premature. They were about to give up on me, my mom said. I finally shot out and the Dr. caught me like a football
Then I had to go through the whole incubator deal.

When I was in kindergarten, a classmate had his birthday party at the country club on the lake. We were all swimming, and I stepped off a ledge underwater and was wayyy over my head. I remember grabbing the girl who was my best friend at the time, and she just shrugged me off and went the other way! (She wasn't my best friend anymore
). I recall flailing and getting big gulps of lake water. Next thing I knew I was being carried back to shore by the lifeguard on duty. Guess I wasn't too great of a swimmer when I was 6

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

He was declared dead. The doctor went out to tell the family. He mentioned that he saw people around his bed. He wasn't near death, he was dead and came back..
I'm not contesting that. It's just the phrasing. Near death experience means the person nearly died or was dead for a few seconds/minutes, but obviously didn't stay that way.

And as I mentioned, the OBE phenomenon is reported happening when people are sleeping - no where near death or dying.

A lot of us sure have had close calls with drowning!
I've had two, one when a family "friend" held me under water and another time when I stepped off into a deep hole in the water (boat left it).

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One time when I was going home I was traveling on a four lane road, when someone took a U Turn into my lane at the last moment...only they were coming at me! I never even realized I had moved into the other lane, but just before I 'should' have hit that oncoming car, there I was, in the 'safe lane'... Then, that same day, a semi almost took me off the road as well...and again, I managed to get into the other lane at just the right second; Going 65 miles an hour on a free way, if I would have been hit by either, there's no way I would have come out alive, or at least seriously injured.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was about two or three I was on a water slide with my dad and I slipped out of his grip. The "landing pool" I ended up in was quite deep, and I almost drowned. When my dad got to me, I was floating face down in the water. I don't know if I had to be resuscitated and I don't remember this happening. Another time, when I was eight or nine, I was at a soccer wrap-up party and went too far in a pool and once again, almost drowned. By the way (if it isn't obvious enough) I don't know how to swim.