shop cats

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i just wonder, there are 2 business here that have shop cats. dye ice company has couple of cats that after hours you can see sitting and looking out the office windows.

and the gas station/store has one, that been living in the store for about 3 years now. He wil often jump up on the counter for some head rubs when i stop in.. TOnight he was eating KFC that someone had brought for him

In one of are coffee shops in indo we have 4 cats that live inside.

just wonder , has anyone else come accross cats that live in a business?

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bookstores are a natural for that... there's a small bookshop near my hometown that always had two or three felines lazing about...

Also, it apparently used to be a tradition to have a cat reside in the library. I only learned this because of a book my father gave me for my birthday. I HIGHLY recommend it... it's called Dewey: The Small Town Library Cat Who Touched The World. It's by Vicki Myron. Myron mentions early on that it used to be tradition in libraries... and still is in some areas...

Amanda

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Bookstores are a natural for that... there's a small bookshop near my hometown that always had two or three felines lazing about...

Also, it apparently used to be a tradition to have a cat reside in the library. I only learned this because of a book my father gave me for my birthday. I HIGHLY recommend it... it's called Dewey: The Small Town Library Cat Who Touched The World. It's by Vicki Myron. Myron mentions early on that it used to be tradition in libraries... and still is in some areas...

Amanda
That would make sense - good mousers to keep rodents from chewing the books!!!

Yes, I have encountered shop cats numerous times, one just recently in a leather goods store. Her name was Mila... she was real cutie black cat.

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In the area of England i live in , i have never seen/heard any animals in any buisness , of course the vets have 2 doggies behind the counter the majority of the time,

Jess x

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dive shop I used to work at had a resident cat. They found him outside after being hit by a car. The owner and his wife took him to the vet and decided to adopt him. His name was Skuzz (also affectionately nick named Road Kill). He was a tempermental thing and either loved you or hated you. His main job was the patrol the warehouse at night, and to lounge during the day when he wasn't attacking customer's feet! He even had his own page on their website until he passed away a few years ago. Now, I think they have a new mouser.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A place bout 5 miles from me that makes and sells pallets, mulch and other stuff like that has a disabled cat in their big warehouse. One of its legs is misshapened. They have a big bowl of food and water with its name on and some of the guys were eating when I was there and feed the cat part of their lunches. Not the type of place one would expect to see a cat less a disabled one!

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I was 20 I worked as a web designer and one of the guys I worked with found a cat and brought it to work. He stayed there with us for a year before the company went under and my sister took in the cat. I have to say it was great working with him, he added a lot to the work place.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, some stores around here have resident kitties: the corner store in my old neighborhood, a used bookstore, a vintage clothing store (it's in a big warehouse), and....a pet supply shop

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My parents own a sports uniform manufacturing company and we have a shop cat. He showed up 3 years ago and never left. We named him BamBam. Customers just love him like crazy.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

i just wonder, there are 2 business here that have shop cats. dye ice company has couple of cats that after hours you can see sitting and looking out the office windows.

and the gas station/store has one, that been living in the store for about 3 years now. He wil often jump up on the counter for some head rubs when i stop in.. TOnight he was eating KFC that someone had brought for him

In one of are coffee shops in indo we have 4 cats that live inside.

just wonder , has anyone else come accross cats that live in a business?
A customer of mine was a realtor and he had at least 7 cats at his office, hired a lady to care for them and built an outside gym for them.

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of the auto places I go to has a dog-in-residence. I've come across a couple of antique stores with resident cats, also. I think it's a great idea!

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't noticed any cats inside businesses here in Austin, but when I lived back home in Bryan/College Station there was a pet store that had a cat that would hang out by the fish tanks. I remember a few places having dogs inside the business. There was a really big yellow lab that would hang out at one of the antique stores downtown. And there was a truck accessories place (they did grill guards, toolboxes, bedliners stuff like that) that also had a lab that would come to work with the owner every day. Also, when I was in high school I had an internship at my vet's vet clinic. They had this big male tabby named Clyde that would just hang out in the back in the surgery room. He would walk around inbetween the vet's feet rubbing on them as she was spaying and neutering other cats and dogs haha. They also had some cats living in the back by the horse stalls that were always outside.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen a few around here. Dad's self employed so technically my cats are "office cats" as the office is in the house. And there's a shop & shed outside the farm kitties can live in....so they're techincally office cats too!

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not a shop cat, but a camp cat!

At the summer camp I worked at, there was a small org/white female named Maya that would patrol around the camp. She must be very good at getting away from predators because she has so far lasted 3 summers.

Then, there's Barney, a brown longhaired mutt dog who rules the camp! All the kids always ask about him and throw love his way!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
We used to have a small store that was combination Radio Shack and art supply (husband ran Radio Shack, wife did the art supplies). They had a longhaired grey cat that lived in the shop. He was very lazy, you rarely saw him moving. Most of the time he lay on the counter and everybody had to stop and pet him when they checked out.

The auto repair shop I go to had a cat wander in and take up residence about a year ago. He's a beautiful brown tabby. The first time I saw him I was glad I was wearing hiking boots since he decided my feet were good chewy toys. I wouldn't want to get on his bad side. That is one big kitty, more like a bobcat size than a regular domestic kittycat. The last time I went in he was being very friendly, bunting me and begging for chin scratches.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a pet shop in town that I went in once and I was looking at the cat beds. I put my hand on the side of one on a top shelf to see what the linning was like and there was a cat curled up asleep inside
Made me jump out of my skin!

Also in the old town there is a junk shop that sells really old crude, it`s so piled high with it you can barely get in
Well, I went in a while ago to buy some old black and white photos and isn`t it typical, that`s where their cat was parked and he didn`t want to move

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i've heard that Powell's Books in Oregon has a cat. there's a real estate office in town that has one in the office and my vet does too. plus most of the nurseries and the garden depts at Lowe's & Home Depots in this area have cats. i always see if i can find them whenever i go there