Has Anyone Ever Heard Of the Winchester Mansion?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a show on TV the other night about it, and it was pretty fascinating. Apparently, the wife (Sarah) of the late Mr. Winchester (don't recall his first name) believed that the ghosts of everyone who had been shot by a Winchester rifle was haunting her house - so in order to "escape" from the ghosts, she kept building all these rooms in the place, so she couldn't be hunted down by the ghosts. That was bizarre enough in itself.
But what was really bizarre was the fact that not only did she end up with a humungous mansion, she also had really weird additions built to the mansion - which included staircases that went nowhere or to a dead-end, doors that opened to the outside with a huge drop-off, windows that were placed in walls, and all kinds of other weird stuff. I guess she figured that the ghosts couldn't find her if they got confused by all that weird architecture.

It was a pretty fascinating story!

juliejerks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've seen a show about that place, it's pretty creepy. Honestly, I'd rather move, than live in a house like that. The house just makes the whole idea of ghosts being in it even spookier.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went there many yrs ago. My great-aunt insisted on taking us and I remember thinking it was going to be super-boring. It was anything but! It was a fascinating house and I'm soooooo glad that she dragged me there. I'd love to go back.

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw a show on tv about it one time. It was fascinating to watch. It's been probably 6 years since I've seen the show I watched.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went there with my aunt when I was a little girl...I remember it was AMAZING, though I don't remember too many details anymore. I'd love to go back someday! Thanks for the memory, and thanks Natalie for the links!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yep did a tour of the place, kinda boring.
now if they would let you in at night, with all the lights out .
with nothing but a flash light,

now that would be fun eheh.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spudsmom

I went there many yrs ago. My great-aunt insisted on taking us and I remember thinking it was going to be super-boring. It was anything but! It was a fascinating house and I'm soooooo glad that she dragged me there. I'd love to go back.
Lucky you! I'd love to go see it!

Originally Posted by mews2much

We have drove by it so many times in San Jose but I have never been in it.
I will go one day.
You're that close, and you've never been? Boy, I'd sure be checking it out!

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went when I was a little girl. I don't remember too much exepect I was really bored (I must have been 5 or 6). Now I would REALLY like to go back because I don't remember it all.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I worked for Xerox we were doing some stuff in Palo Alto (I think that was it, maybe it was San Jose) and my friend and I took a tour at the mansion. I didn't think it was too creepy, but it was extremely fascinating.

There's a mansion very similar (same idea) in Utah also.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard of it, but I was under the impression that it had been torn down. I don't know where I got that idea? But now that I know it still exists, I might just plan a trip there one day, it sounds like fun.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

yep did a tour of the place, kinda boring.
now if they would let you in at night, with all the lights out .
with nothing but a flash light,

now that would be fun eheh.
They do that! Next time you go, you'll have to try it! Spooky and fun!

I've been there lots, that and the Hearst Mansion (they're relatively close, in my definition of "close"!). Though around here (as the links from Natalie_ca say), we always call it the Winchester Myster House, not mansion.

It really is fascinating! Poor woman. She really believed if she stopped building the ghosts would get her... Can you imagine being wealthy because of your family creating such a deadly gun? It obviously haunted her terribly... Whenever I see how it affected her so badly, I wonder about the guy and his family that created the atom bomb.

If anyone enjoys such things, you should definitely go!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor woman. She really believed if she stopped building the ghosts would get her... Can you imagine being wealthy because of your family creating such a deadly gun? It obviously haunted her terribly... Whenever I see how it affected her so badly, I wonder about the guy and his family that created the atom bomb.
I think I'd be haunted too, if I ever invented anything that caused so many deaths..

It really was a fascinating story. I was glued to my chair watching it!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I think I'd be haunted too, if I ever invented anything that caused so many deaths..

It really was a fascinating story. I was glued to my chair watching it!
err, no, the people caused the deaths.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been there twice. It's a beautiful house. There are many gorgeous stained glass windows She decorated with lots of daisy patterns.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

I've been there lots, that and the Hearst Mansion (they're relatively close, in my definition of "close"!). Though around here (as the links from Natalie_ca say), we always call it the Winchester Myster House, not mansion.
Hearst Castle is about a 4 hour drive away!

I went to the Winchester Mystery House last year with my mum when she was here. There was some interesting bits, but I wasn't particularly excited about it. It was definitely kinda whacky!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have! DH and I watched a show about creepy places on tv last night and I believe the Winchester mansion was in the number two spot right under Lizzy Borden's house. (They also had Gettysburg, PA on there, The London Tower, Salem Massachussets (for the Salem Witch Trials), a museum with a bunch of dead bodies/heads in it here in the states somewhere, New Orleans cemetaries, and a few other places I can't remember. It was really interesting!)