For the Gemstone "Lovers"

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reading the "rings thread" got me to thinking of gemstones, and the different cuts that they come in, and which one I like the best. I would have to say my absolute favorite is the emerald cut - followed by a princess cut.
I also really like a trillion cut.

Which cut do you like best?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I chose cushion - there is something about the rounded off square or rectangle that I like visually.

But I am not fussy!!!

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sillyitiliangrl

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think both of those are emerald cuts....

I'm partial to princess cuts, my engagement ring has a princess cut stone in the center turned sideways so its diamond shapped
I don't know "cuts". I know shapes

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm in love with cushion cuts. Oval cuts come in second I think. I really want a cushion cut Tsavorite as my engagement ring stone whenever that happens (I wish it was soon *taps foot*). Either that or a color change sapphire oval cut. Yeah, I am not fond of diamonds.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Which cut do you like best?
i like the radiant cut - shape of an emerald, fire of a brilliant. my diamond is an emerald cut - inherited from my maternal grandmother.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've recently come to love the trillion cut -- but there's also a style called "scissors cut" that's shaped generally like an emerald cut, but has looser faceting... that's awfully pretty too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

But I am not fussy!!!

I wouldn't turn down any cut, either!

Or diamond, or tanzanite, or alexandrite, or morganite, or sapphire, or emerald, or ruby, or.....

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on the stone. And my mood.

I prefer cutting free forms, myself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I don't know "cuts". I know shapes
Cuts are just a jeweler's fancy way of referring to shapes.

For example:
Emerald = retangle
Princess = square
Cushion = rounded off square or rectangle
Marquis = an elongated oval which is pointier at the top & bottom (for lack of a better way of describing it)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ Or people could put the name of the cut they're not familiar with into google images. A lot simpler.

I prefer marquis.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i like the radiant cut - shape of an emerald, fire of a brilliant. my diamond is an emerald cut - inherited from my maternal grandmother.
Radiant is really nice for colored diamonds. For those very reasons. Need a good diamond to use that shape and you keep the depth of color. My ideal engagement ring, should I ever do such a thing, would a a radiant cut fancy yellow!

Someone mentioned a tanzanite as an engagement ring. One word of caution about that- Tanzies are softer stones so I don't know how well it would hold up. A nice sapphire would be a better choice for blue color and durability.

(Sorry - I'm a gem geek. My boyfriend said if I could have cats wearing jewelry I would be in heaven!!!
)

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The emerald cut is my favourite, and when I went shopping for Jess's ring, that's what I had in mind... but then I saw this setting for a round diamond, and when I saw the diamond in it, it was just the most gorgeous looking thing I'd ever seen! Never thought I'd choose a round diamond, but that's what I went with. And when she did my ring, she made it a duplicate of hers, but with different side stones (she has rubies; I have black diamonds), and I love it. It's perfect. Couldn't imagine anything more gorgeous!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Depends on the stone. And my mood.

I prefer cutting free forms, myself.
Agreed
It also depends on what the stone is for! For example, a few years back I was on a quest to buy 1 carat of each color of sapphires (there are 9 colours in case you didn't know). Don't ask what the stones are for - I know but it hasn't been made yet! The easiest to find was of course the standard blue sapphire. However, knowing the stone was "cooked" I opted not to buy the one available to me.

I was then presented with a 1.3 carat pink sapphire. Bought it and it was cushion cut. There after, all the other 8 colors (3 of each) except for the star sapphire (for obvious reasons) were cushion cuts!