The Police Just Called Me

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The police just called me about that incident at Safeway last Wednesday. They are going to come by this evening and take my statement.

If they think it will be in support of Safeway, they are sadly mistaken. I'm going to make sure I emphasize that the security guard identified himself as the "police", that he was using excessive force, and that technically she didn't steal anything because the salad that she apparently was to have stolen was inside the store, between the doors where the shopping carts are. So he was beating her up for absolutely nothing.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just tell it like it was, as much as you can remember.
You never really know which angle they're pursuing. Perhaps the girl is charging assault... perhaps the store theft... perhaps something else. And if the salad was past the sensors, that's 'leaving the store'.

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dont think i remember u telling the story of the incedint , although as you can tell by my spelling its late and i am very tired lol!

Just tell the truth to them be honest and get your point across..
hope it goes well
Jess x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow how did I miss that thread.

Just tell the truth and what you saw. Hopefuly the girl is ok and is charging for assault!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by junior_j

I dont think i remember u telling the story of the incedint , although as you can tell by my spelling its late and i am very tired lol!

I haven't been online at TCS the past few days, so I may have missed it, too..

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They aren't here yet. I did tell him that I have to get up early in the morning and that I wanted to go to bed around 9pm. He said that if they got calls out, they wouldn't be able to make it this evening and would call me.

I'm going to be at 9pm. I hope they don't call me at 9:30pm and tell me they can't come! Once I'm asleep and woken up, I can't get back to sleep.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, after reading the thread and the article, I have to say that I probably would have done the same thing too, Linda. I am by no means a confrontational person myself and will avoid a fight if I can, but when it comes to abuse, I'm highly sensitive to it myself b/c I endured an abusive relationship, too. I reckon I would have done the same thing if I would have been in your shoes. Kudos to you, Linda!

I agree that the woman did wrong, but she shouldn't have been treated in such a way.
Maybe if she would have had a gun or some kind of weapon the security guard probably may have had to use excessive force, but it was unnecessary in that case. There's no excuse for such violence.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One thing you need to make clear (extremely clear) is exactly when the security officer identified himself as "the police," and if he showed you any identity, badge, etc.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I previously worked as an emergency dispatcher at Canada's Wonderland. This included all dipatch related to loss prevention officers (plain clothes, and uniformed). Restraint never involves someone being thrown to the ground, especially numerous times. Even if the person was "trying to kick him" that is an unacceptable method of self-defense.
Best of luck to you. I am going to write Safeway myself and tell them I am never shopping there again following their spokesperson saying this was a proper reaction.
ESPECIALLY OVER A SALAD! In what world is it proper to risk someones life over a 5$ salad?!?!?!....(note, even if she had robbed the store and was about to get away with more than $5000 cash, such assault was not warranted imo)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They didn't come last evening. He called me at 9pm and said that they were stuck at a call, so they are going to aim for this evening instead.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, they came and I gave them my statement. They have to interview 3 more people, plus the woman. Then the Crown will decide if charges will be pressed against either or both or neither.

I mentioned about the salad still being inside the store between the doors. Apparently according to the Criminal Code here the fact that she walked beyond the checkouts and was in the process of exiting the store with unpaid merchandise, constitutes intent of theft.