Fair for older cat to have young cats in house?

kestrien

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two males, each 1 year, that I've had since May. The SPCA has this 12-year-old cat I feel desperately sorry for, but I wonder if it would be unfair to him to live his remaining years with younger cats. Both my cats get along well, but they are fairly active and like to tussle. There's never any hissing or real aggression, but lots of wrestling.

So would it be fair to the 12-year-old to come live with 2 children? It's just me & the cats in an 1,000-sq.foot place.

Thank you!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco is 16.5 and Meeko is 8.
I also have 2 young Cats Sasha 2 and Oreo Cookie 1.
Oreo became very close with Coco my old Cat.
Oreo and Sasha play hyper with each other.
When they bother Coco she will yell at them and they stop.
It has worked out great with my cats.
Meeko gets hyper with them sometimes also.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Could you take the older cat home, introduce him slowly to your two, and see how it goes? Many shelters have an option to return a cat that does not fit into a household.

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am in the same situation. I have two one years old cats and one 10 month old puppy. I am tying to bring home a 13 year old cat. I will try it... knowing how good my current animals are. I think its worth a try and if it goes bad you can always return them... at least you know in your heart you tried.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spooky was 15 1/2 when he died. He loved younger cats. My first cat was 8 or 9 years old when we got our Russian Blue kitten. He was a good "father" and loved to take care of all kittens.

Depends on where the 12 yr old grew up. Was he around younger cats? Was he an only cat or one other cat? See what other info you can find out about him before you decide.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 14 year old, and a 6 month old and I'm fostering a 2 month old.
Soon will have 3 more 2 month olds in the house to foster.

The younger kits always play together, my old girl they leave alone unless she initiates play/grooming with them.
At 14, she's still very spry and holds her own quite well when she does decide to play with them.

siddymeowmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
younger cats can do WONDERS for an older cat. while sid was only a year old when we brought zoe in, he was already acting like a slow, lazy old whisker. zoe changed that tune real quick!!! sid has been happy, youthful, playful kitty (for the most part) ever since.

your younger cats may not make the new older cat get up and dance a jig, but they may still have an impact on him- if nothing more than to give him a sense of purpose (in keeping the youngins in line) or just a sense of belonging (love and affection). and you know YOU'LL give him lots of love and affection, no matter what the other cats think!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kestrien

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much. Looks like I'll be taking another trip to the SPCA this weekend. I just feel so bad for an older boy being there all alone, with no one to love him, and I certainly have enough love to give. Hopefully everyone will get along wonderfully.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kestrien

Thank you all so much. Looks like I'll be taking another trip to the SPCA this weekend. I just feel so bad for an older boy being there all alone, with no one to love him, and I certainly have enough love to give. Hopefully everyone will get along wonderfully.
Awww, that's great. I hope it works out!

For what it's worth, I had some concerns about how adopting a 6-month old male kitten would impact by then 11-year-old female cat, Katie. Gradual introduction and giving Katie lots of reassurance did the trick. Despite the age difference, she and Pete became the best of friends. I think he's been good for her because, four years later, she's healthy, active and still plays with Pete every day.