KatKwery Playoffs - Round 1 - Game 3 - Oct. 8

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2008 KatKwery Playoffs
Round 1 – Game 3

Topic: Cat Snips

1. Describe your cats’ sleeping quarters. Do they have their own bed(s)?

2. What comes to mind when you hear the term “feral” cat? Do you have any experience with feral cats?

3. When I was in the pet store the other day, I noticed some “dog whistles” which got me to thinking about cats’ hearing. Have you always imagined that dogs could hear higher frequencies than cats?

4.When you see pictures of other peoples’ cats on TCS, do you say to yourself “I could take a better picture than that”?

5. DW does not like for Alley to sleep near her face because she says the purr keeps her awake. What about your cats’ purrs, how do they affect you, if at all?

6. Do you have any superstitions at all when it comes to black cats?

7. What about cats having souls, do you believe that you will ever see any of your cats across the bridge again?

8. Have you ever been bitten by either yours or somebody else’s cat? If you were, what did you do about it?

9. When it comes time for “scooping”, what are your feelings? In other words, are you repulsed at the thought, or are you just fine with it, or what?

10. Have you ever wondered about the domestication of cats? When you see your cats, can you imagine them as living in the wild and killing other animals to survive?

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, I guess today's answers will determine whether I keep playing or not! Here goes nothing...and best of luck to everyone else!

1. Describe your catsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] sleeping quarters. Do they have their own bed(s)? Our kittens sleep in a separate room at night because they are still “in training†when it comes to things like chewing on cords and jumping on the counters. So, when my husband and I are ready to go to bed, we put the cats in “their†bedroom along with all their toys and a scratching post. They have a litter box and a bowl of fresh water, as well as a cat rug or mat that I made for them and their carrier lined with an old baby blanket. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know if they actually sleep in the carrier or on the mat, but I like to know they have some comfy spots to lie down if they want to. Sometimes, however, I know that Max sleeps in the toy basket, which is so cute! It is a wide, shallow basket, and he just curls up in there and nods off! I guess it is just a nice place to take a snooze, because it doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t even matter if there are toys in the basket or not!

2. What comes to mind when you hear the term “feral†cat? Do you have any experience with feral cats? The first thought I have is of wild cats. I envision them roaming around trying to find scraps of food or hunting rats and mice in cities and towns. I guess I also imagine them living in the country, drifting from farm to farm, impregnating peopleâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s barn cats and then disappearing! But I guess any stray cat that has not really been domesticated could be called feral, even though my description is more that of a “hobo†cat. I do not have any experience with feral cats, per say, although some of my grandmotherâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s old barn cats were wild enough that they could have been dubbed as “feral.†They wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t come up to the house except to be fed, and they certainly wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t let anyone touch them. So they werenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t really pets, just pest control.

3. When I was in the pet store the other day, I noticed some “dog whistles†which got me to thinking about catsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] hearing. Had you always imagined that dogs could hear higher frequencies than cats? Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve never really thought about the comparison between dogs and cats hearing. I know they can all hear things better than I can, as well as smell things better, but I never stopped to ask myself whether dogs can hear higher or lower frequencies than cats can. They both certainly do hear sounds and sense things that I never will. I find it interesting how they seem to be able to tell when something is about to happen, like a thunderstorm. I wonder if it is the scent of moisture in the air, a change in barometric pressure, or some other awareness they have that we as humans do not. As far as dog whistles go, we used to have one for my dadâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s old dog. When he was young and we were training him to be a hunting dog, we used the whistle to call him to come. But when he grew older, we stopped using it as much. It was really high pitched, but the pitch was not inaudible to me. It was actually really annoying and loud!

4.When you see pictures of other peoplesâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] cats on TCS, do you say to yourself “I could take a better picture than thatâ€? Sometimes I do, but other times I wish I could take pictures as well as someone else! I consider myself to be a mediocre “photographer,†and if I work really hard, I can take a decent photo. But I want to be able to take pictures that look more professional. I also wish I had better photo editing software so that I could fix the color in my digital shots. It is really hard to get good pictures of animals, unless they are asleep, because you canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t just say, “Okay, hold that pose. Now smile and say ‘cheese!â€[emoji]8482[/emoji]†For some reason, cats just donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t respond to that the way people do! Plus, I find that every time I get out the camera, the kittens stop doing whatever cute or funny things they were doing. Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s really frustrating.

5. DW does not like for Alley to sleep near her face because she says the purr keeps her awake. What about your catsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] purrs, how do they affect you, if at all? I love listening to my kitties purring. It makes me so happy to hear their little motor going and know that they are happy and comfortable. Since they donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t sleep with me, I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have a problem with their purr keeping me awake at night, although I doubt that would bother me as much as feeling like I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t move because they are laying on me. Our cats all purr quite loudly, and it can get pretty noisy if they all get to rumbling at the same time. I can always tell, though, when they have fallen asleep because the purrs slowly wind down until they stop completely and go silent.

6. Do you have any superstitions at all when it comes to black cats? No, I have never been a superstitious person in the first place, so that old myth about black cats being bad luck or whatever was always silly to me. I think black cats are beautiful, actually. I almost adopted a lovely little black kitten that had little white hairs mixed in with the black fur here and there. It looked almost like someone had sprinkled salt on her. But the adult cat I had at the time started flipping out on us because there was a new kitten in the house. My parents and I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know how to introduce a new cat into our home, so we ended up giving her back to the original owners.

7. What about cats having souls, do you believe that you will ever see any of your cats across the bridge again? Theologically speaking, no, I do not believe cats have souls. That is what truly separates human beings from animals, the soul. But my sentimental side likes to imagine that I will see my rainbow bridge babies again. Without getting into the religious side of this issue too much, I do have to say that my view of heaven is so great that even if our pets are not there, the afterlife will be so great that it wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t matter anymore.

8. Have you ever been bitten by either yours or somebody elseâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cat? If you were, what did you do about it? My kittens only give love bites most of the time. Sometimes Maggie will try to bite my fingers when Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m clipping her claws, but that doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t really hurt me. Max has accidentally bitten both me and my husband to the point where he broke the skin and drew blood. In my case, it happened because I was feeding them treats, and he tried to chew my finger with the same force he would have used to chew the crunchy treat. Ouch! My husband was trying to keep Max from biting off his shirt buttons, and he got his finger in the way of Maxâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s mouth! Both times, since it wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t Maxâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s fault, we just cleaned the wound and bandaged it. I really wish you hadnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t asked this question, though, because I think Max read it and thinks I want love bites right now. Do you know how hard it is to type with a cat biting your fingers?

9. When it comes time for “scoopingâ€, what are your feelings; in other words, are you repulsed at the thought, are you just fine with it, or what? Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a chore, but I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t hate it. I just find it annoying to have to scoop every day. Every now and then my hubby scoops the boxes, but most of the time it is my joy. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m fine with that, but itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s just a duty Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d rather not have to do. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s not the smell or anything…I guess I just hate any chore I have to do every day, like the dishes. I just get sick of it. I do try to totally empty and wash the litter trays every 1-2 weeks, and that is also not my favorite thing to do. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been taking the boxes outside and using the hose to help clean them, but this winter I guess Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll have to do that in the bathtub. I do not look forward to that! Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m just glad that my cats no longer have diarrhea or worms. That made cleaning the litter tray really disgusting and stinky. Hopefully weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll never have to deal with that again!

10. Have you ever wondered about the domestication of cats? When you see your cats, can you imagine them as living in the wild and killing other animals to survive at one time? I guess I hadnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t really contemplated that a whole lot. I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t imagine my kittens actually living in the wild and hunting for survival, mostly because they donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have their mother to teach them the skills they would need. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m sure that cats in the wild do not have nearly as long a life span as domestic cats. I have read somewhere in the past that pound for pound, cats are actually the most deadly feline in the world. In other words, if a lion and a domestic cat were the same size, the cat would kill more prey than the lion. Amazing!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

2008 KatKwery Playoffs
Round 1 – Game 3

1. Describe your catsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] sleeping quarters. Do they have their own bed(s)?

My cats sleeping quarters are normally my bed! Eek normally nurses on my blanket that I use to sleep with, BooBoo normally curls up on my pillow and HoBoJax usually sleeps between my legs! However if I leave the bedroom they leave also! They will sleep on the couch, all curled up on the top of it or one of them will sleep on the couch where the springs are all broken where they can sink in! Eek likes to sleep in the crib too, but he's a strange cat! They also choose spots in the window where the sun will hit them or underneath end tables or on my rocking chair! Oh and Eek has the best Hiding spot ever, he sleeps in the laundry basket way up high on the top shelf in the bathroom! Way above the washer and dryer where its nice and warm! If I put a heating pad anywhere they will all fight me for it! They dont seem to understand that I need that, they find a warm spot and are like WooHoo!!! They just like to be warm and safe!

2. What comes to mind when you hear the term “feral†cat? Do you have any experience with feral cats?

When I hear the word Feral cat a cat that is wild comes to mind, one that isnt use to human contant! One that will normally scratch your eyes out! They will hiss and growl and bite and scratch! I have a lot of experience with Ferals, I worked at the humane society for a long time plus do rescues so you always get a feral cat here or there! They're a little harder to work with and some are almost impossible to tame especially if they are older and have spent their whole lives being feral, farm cats are the worse, never go to one of them for a cuddle! They don't really liked to be pet and around here are used for target practice by the local farmers who think that they are eating all their livestock and dogs food! They always keep some around to help with mice but not as many as one would hope!

3. When I was in the pet store the other day, I noticed some “dog whistles†which got me to thinking about catsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] hearing. Had you always imagined that dogs could hear higher frequencies than cats?

My cats have good hearing and Im pretty sure they can hear the whistles because they always look at me funny when I blow them! Im not positive on that one though, its just what I happen to think at the moment!
4.When you see pictures of other peoplesâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] cats on TCS, do you say to yourself “I could take a better picture than thatâ€?

5. DW does not like for Alley to sleep near her face because she says the purr keeps her awake. What about your catsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] purrs, how do they affect you, if at all?

When Eek purs he purrs loudly and it can keep you awake! He also breathes in my face which sometimes drives me nuts when Im trying to sleep! HoBoJax has a very quiet purr but a loud meow!! BooBoo's purr is something we dont hear as often as we use to hear, but he has a loud purr also! He likes to lay on your chest and pur as loudly as he can just to drive you nuts! I think its something about your heart beating that makes him want to lay there!

I have no superstitions when it comes to black cats. Black cats have been some of the best cats I have ever owned! They are very mild and friendly and loveable! I dont believe if a black cat walks past you that you are going to be forever jinxed or any of the black cat on holloweed myths! Ive never had a black cat steer me wrong yet! They are good cats! Although I do think that Ive never seen a pure black cat, normally if you turn them over there is a white spot either on their chins or their bellies! Pure black cats must be hard to find!

7. What about cats having souls, do you believe that you will ever see any of your cats across the bridge again?

I believe cats have souls and that they're waiting for me over the bridge. I just dont think heaven would be heaven if my pets weren't there waiting for me! They are just like people in my book, they can think and feel and therefore make them something that will go to heaven also! If you think about it the worlds different creatures are something that makes earth really special, so without them there things would be boring! Some people really love to watch birds, so would it be a perfect place without birds?? Nope! So I do think that all of my cats that have passed the rainbow bridge already are there waiting for me, and I do believe that they are watching over me now! I guess I couldn't bear the idea of having to put something that you consider as one of your children to sleep if you were never going to see them again. Something about the fact that they are there waiting for me comforts me in a strange sort of way!

8. Have you ever been bitten by either yours or somebody elseâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cat? If you were, what did you do about it?

Ive been bitten just like everyone else has! Ive been attacked by many a cat! Normally I was always more worried about the cat than myself! Ive never had one put to sleep because of it and I have taken care of all of the wounds and injuries myself except for one that did require Dr treatment but no rabies shots or anything like that! I dont think that most cats bite to actually hurt you, they bite because something has scared them or they are protecting themselves! You normally have to provoke an attack by a tame cat to get yourself bitten or scratched in my opinion! Ferals and strays are a little different because all you have to do to make them angry is try to catch them and they flip out but that is just a way they try to protect themselves with!

9. When it comes time for “scoopingâ€, what are your feelings; in other words, are you repulsed at the thought, are you just fine with it, or what?

I hate scrooping the litter box, I like to put a garbage bag over the top of the litter box turn it upside down bang on it and put new litter in there!
However with 4 cats I do have to scoop now days! So Its not as bad as you would think really, it could be worse! You learn a lot from scooping the litter box, you can tell if your cats are sick or if they are having some kinds of infections if you use special litter and you can tell if they have been going the way they should or if theres something wrong, you can see if theres blood in the urine or feces so scooping the litter box is a good idea rather than just changing it constantly!

10. Have you ever wondered about the domestication of cats? When you see your cats, can you imagine them as living in the wild and killing other animals to survive at one time?
Sure! I can imagine that! My Eek is a born killer! When he sneaks out he leaves me gifts at the door! The other day it was a dead humming bird! BooBoo cought a prairie dog this summer which I did manage to save, his name is Pete and he lives at the zoo now! My cats will kill anything thats moving in front of them, so I could very easily see them as wild creatures! I like it better with them inside the house though! I like to know they are safe and sound and warm and dry and not smashed up on the roadside! The sad things with predators is they can become the prey very easily! So Im always worried about my babies! My cats are members of my family and when something happens to them it affects us all!

Okay, I think thats about it for today! We'll see how I did compared to Catkiki today!!

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I alright. I guess it's now or never. I feel bad for whoever reads this. I typed it in Word and it's over 3 pages. And I probably won't get that many words either

2008 KatKwery Playoffs
Round 1 – Game 3

1. Describe your catsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] sleeping quarters. Do they have their own bed(s)?

My cats sleep wherever they want, and they donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t really have their own sleeping places. Sometimes they will sleep with us on the bed, and sometimes out in the living room. Right now, we have Namine sleeping in the second bedroom, because she likes to wake us up in the middle of the night. When my fiancÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] comes to bed, he feeds them and then moves Namine into the second bedroom so she can finish her dinner in there, and then hopefully go to sleep. I think when Namineâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s in there, sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll sleep on the second bed, on the blanket that used to be my dogâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s. I swear, that cat has my dogâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s soul in her, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s so cute. Kairi will usually sleep in our bedroom, on our bed with us. She is usually curled up at the bottom of the bed right near our feet. I wake up in the middle of the night, and have to move my feet without disturbing her, or else sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll jump off the bed. It gets kind of weird to have to somehow move my feet and put them somewhere on the bed without disturbing her. If she doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t sleep on our bed with us, sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll sleep out in the living room on the couch or the chair. Also, when Namine isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t in the second bedroom, Kairi will also sleep on the computer chair. For some reason, she really loves that chair. They also like to sleep on their cat tree, but when I get up in the morning, I rarely see them on it. I think they like to take their cat naps on that.

2. What comes to mind when you hear the term “feral†cat? Do you have any experience with feral cats?

When I think of the word “feral†cat, I think of a cat that is roaming the city, and fending for themselves. They are the type of cat that is wild, that doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t like to have any human contact. They have to scrounge around the city and find food and hunt for mice, because they donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have anyone to care for them like a domesticated house cat does. I have not had any experiences with feral cats. I have seen a few cats in the parking lot of where I work, but I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t say that they are feral for sure, because there are a lot of house and apartments nearby so it may be that the cat is just an outdoor cat. I would like to have experience with feral cats, because I would love to start TNR (trap, neuter, return) to help all the feral cats out there. There are too many cats and kittens on the street, and I would eventually like to help some of those cats out.

3. When I was in the pet store the other day, I noticed some “dog whistles†which got me to thinking about catsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] hearing. Have you always imagined that dogs could hear higher frequencies than cats?

To be honest, Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve never really thought about dogâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s and catâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s hearing compared to ours. I knew that dogs could hear really high pitched sounds, but I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know what kind of frequency cats can hear. I would imagine they can hear really high sounds as well, because they are always hearing things that I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t hear. I always get freaked out, because if Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m by myself in the apartment, and all of a sudden one of the cats ears perk up, Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m afraid of what they are hearing. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know if thereâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s someone else in the apartment or what, but they can hear a lot quieter noises than we can. I guess I have thought dogs could hear higher frequencies than cats. I never really thought about what cats can hear, but I knew what dogs could hear.

4.When you see pictures of other peoplesâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] cats on TCS, do you say to yourself “I could take a better picture than thatâ€?

I very rarely say that. The people on this site are such great photographers, that Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m always saying that I wish I could take pictures of my cats like that. I really would like a better camera for one. I would love a digital SLR camera for Christmas, and thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s what I told my fiancÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] I want, but itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s just too much money. I think if I had a better camera, I could probably take better pictures of my cats. Some of the ones on this site are absolutely gorgeous photographs. The ones that really bring out the cats eyes, or the cats spots, are truly beautiful. Whenever I see that my cats are doing something cute, I always try and grab the camera, but am too late. They usually move by the time I get the camera turned on and ready to take the picture. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve got a couple cute pictures on my phone, because that was the closest thing to me that I could take a picture with. I have one of Namine under the blanket, and one of Kairi running through the clothes that were hanging on the drying rack to dry. She looks like a little kitten there, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s such a cute picture of her.

5. DW does not like for Alley to sleep near her face because she says the purr keeps her awake. What about your catsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] purrs, how do they affect you, if at all?

My catsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] purrs really donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t affect me at all. Kairi purrs quite loudly sometimes. Sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll be so loud that I can hear her across the room, if itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s quiet in the room. She usually purrs when my fiancÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] is petting her (she is such a daddyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s girl) and when sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s curling up with me or him. When she starts rubbing against your hand or your arm, you know that she wants you to pet her, and sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll start purring once you do. Namine on the other hand, I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t really hear her purring. Sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s not that much of a loud purer; I think Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve only heard her purr a handful of times. Even if she did purr loudly, it wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t bother me. I love hearing my cats purr because I know they are happy and loving and wanting to be around me.

I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have any superstitions when it comes to black cats. In fact, I think black cats are truly gorgeous creatures. They are just as gorgeous as the pure white cats, or even specific breeds, in my opinion. I would love to have a black cat, not only because I think they are beautiful, but I know that a lot of black cats donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t get adopted from shelters because of peopleâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s superstitions. I think that reason is ridiculous and that black cats are just as loving as any other cat, and that those superstitions shouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t exist. I hate the myths and legends that black cats are bad luck, because I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think any of that is true, and believe shouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t believe them if they want to adopt a black cat.

Absolutely! I definitely think I will see my babies across the rainbow bridge. Not only my current cats when they pass over, but I also think I will see my dogs and other cat that has passed on before them. I actually think that Namine has my dogâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s soul in her. My dog passed on about 2 years ago, when we had to put her to sleep because of a medical condition. When we moved to New Hampshire and were going to adopt another cat, we went to the shelter to view the kitties they had. Namine instantly stood out to us as a overzealous, playful kitty. When we got her home, I soon found out she had a lot of the characteristics my dog had. She absolutely loves my dogs old blanket and she loves to play catch with me, but will drop the toy a few feet out of my reach, which is something my dog wouldâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve done. It makes me feel better knowing that my dog is still with me, because she was my baby and I was devastated when we had to put her to sleep.

8. Have you ever been bitten by either yours or somebody elseâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cat? If you were, what did you do about it?

I have been bitten, but it hasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t been a serious bite, but a playful bite. I like to play rough with my cats and when they start to really like the playing, they will usually clamp on to my hand. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s never a bite that hurts and thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s too hard, but itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s just a light bite. They will usually lick my hand as soon as they stop biting it.

9. When it comes time for “scoopingâ€, what are your feelings? In other words, are you repulsed at the thought, or are you just fine with it, or what?

I guess I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t really mind the scooping ever since we changed from a regular litterbox to the Breeze litterbox. I usually scoop it every other day because of the amount of waste that really isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t in it anymore. The pee goes to the pad and the only thing is the poop. What I love about the litterbox is that it never really smells, unless one of the cats do a really stinky poop in it right before I go in the room. I do dislike cleaning the boxes out completely, because itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s takes too long for me. I hate having to dislodge the little pellets that are stuck in the grates, and having to dry the boxes before putting brand new pellets back into it.

10. Have you ever wondered about the domestication of cats? When you see your cats, can you imagine them as living in the wild and killing other animals to survive?

I have wondered about the domestication of cats and I do believe my cats could survive living on the streets. Before we got Namine from the shelter, she was a stray that was found on the streets. I know that she probably has what is needed to take care of herself and hunt for food, but I would not want to have to put her through that again. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know how long she was by herself for, but with these New Hampshire winters, I sure hope she wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t wandering on the streets during the winter times. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know where she would keep warm. Kairi has also been outside, but thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s only when my fiancÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] lived at home with his parents. His parents have an outdoor cat, so they would let Kairi out sometimes as well. I think she would catch small mice and such, so I know she would have the skills to hunt for food if she needed to. Even though I think my cats would have the skills to survive on the streets, they are definitely way too loving to be on the streets. If they couldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have a lap to snuggle into, or a hand to pet them, who knows what they would do. Kairi loves to be pet and cuddled with, so I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know if sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d be able to survive without that.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girls sleep wherever they want! They do not normally sleep with us on our bed but on occasion will sleep on them when we are not in them. They also have a little soft sided condo that Dusty will sleep in sometimes. Normally though, they are asleep behind the futon we use as a couch, or ON the futon, or under the beds, or at night, they will sleep on the cat tree which has 2 perches. They sometimes fight to see who gets top perch!

To me, a feral cat is a domesticated cat that has not had any human contact. They may be the offspring of an abandoned cat and part of a community of ferals. It is extremely hard to tame a feral cat, but with time and patience, it can be done. I know, since my RB girl Kiki was a feral that I slowly made friends with when she was a kitten. She became a indoor cat and lived a long, happy life. Most ferals don't live long though, what with dogs, cars and stupid people who get their jollys poisoning cats. At our old house, we would feed a small family of ferals. There is an organization where I live called "The Cat People" who feed several colonies of ferals at parks and other areas around my city. They feed them and trap, neuter, release (TNR). If they can get to the kittens soon enough, they will trap them and socialize them. All their kitties are spayed or neutered before being adopted. They also have vouchers for low income people to be able to get their cats fixed. It is a great organization!

3. When I was in the pet store the other day, I noticed some “dog whistles†which got me to thinking about catsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] hearing. Have you always imagined that dogs could hear higher frequencies than cats?
I don't think dogs can hear better than cats. I think that they hear on different frequencies though. Like dogs, cats can hear high frequency sounds we cannot and cats have the ability to distinguish the tone or pitch of sounds much better than humans. Unlike dogs though, a cat's ability to locate the source of a sound is much better. I have read that a cat can distinguish between sounds from sources only 3 inches apart from a yard away. From my experience with dogs though, they can't locate a sound source as quickly as a cat. I know that when I take the laser toy from the shelf, no matter how quietly I take it down, and if I don't think it makes a noise, my girls will hear it and come running. A cat's sense of hearing is absolutely incredible. That is why a lot of people think the cat has a sixth sense.

Occasionally I think I can take a better picture, but since there are some absolutely fantastic photographers on TCS, more times than not, I wish I could take a picture like that. It might help if I had a better digital camera than the little point and shoot one that I have, but maybe one day I will be able to afford one. Until then, I will just use my little camera and take the pics of my girls.

I love to hear my girls purr! I do wish that Dusty wouldn't wake me up in the middle of the night with her nose in my ear purring up a storm! She will actually start to nibble at my earlobe, purring the whole time. If she would only lay in one spot and not kneed me with her needle sharp claws, I would be happier. But I do love it when they sit beside me and look up at me with their adoring looks and smiles, purring. I can have a bad day at work, but when the girls greet me with purrs and rubs, my bad mood will melt away.

I have no problem with black cats at all. I love black cats! My neighbor has a black cat that we cat sit on occasion. He is such a beautiful boy, how can anyone not love him! My first cat when I was a very small girl, was a black cat with seven toes. His name was Paws. I don't remember him very much since I was about 2 or 3, but I know he was a cool cat.

I know in the Bible, it says an animal's spirit goes into the dirt, but in my heart of hearts, it wouldn't be heaven without my babies there. I would love to see my Kiki and the other cats that I have had throughout my life waiting for me when I cross the bridge.

I haven't really been bitten bitten, but I have had a cat bite me while playing. They will get a little too carried away and bite me so it hurts, but I never had one that was serious enough to have to go to the doctor. I have just cleaned and disinfected the bite, and bandaged it.

9. When it comes time for “scoopingâ€, what are your feelings? In other words, are you repulsed at the thought, or are you just fine with it, or what?
I am fine with scooping the litterbox since I rarely do it! DH scoops the box 2-3 times a day since he is home all day. My girls will hold it until he scoops, and then use the box! I will scoop if I see it needs it but DH keeps it nice and tidy.

I can't imagine my girls in the wild. They are too used to their comfort and treats! But when they are stalking a fly or bug, I can see the "wild" come out a little bit. Rusty reminds me of a picture I once saw that had a little orange kitten looking in a mirror and seeing a lion reflected back. When that outdoor cat comes over to look it, she gets all ferocious!!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Very interesting reading. I really wish I was still in this. I would love to answer some of the questions.

Nice work, Everybody.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please be sure to check behind me and make sure I did not miss any words. After all, the kats are only human. Check here.

We are now down to the final four. There were 27 winners during the season and we now only have 4 left. The final four begins tomorrow with marianjela competing against Cocoa Cream and Glitch against BelongsToEvie. For a picture of what is going on, see the chart shown in the KatKwery playoffs information link below.

My calculations show glitch defeating Catkiki 5-2 and
Cocoa Cream defeating Yam102284 by a score of 6-5.

After six months it is a sorrow to see any of you go but proceed we must. Thanks to everybody that played and congratulations to the winners. The Final Four should prove to be very exciting.

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh boy! I have to compete against Marianjela? Now I'm nervous!
Good job, Yam! It was fun playing with you!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cocoa Cream

Better you than me!! Ive been dreading playing off against her!!

Good work Catkiki! You were a very good oponent!

Looks like Ill see the rest o ya'll tomarrow!!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG I missed a question!!! Did anyone else notice that?? I thought I answered them all but I didn't get the picture question!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats Glitch! Ya beat me fair and square... Good luck to everyone that is going on! I had a lot of fun!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cocoa Cream

Dread playing me??? Aren't you the one that got a perfect 10 in round one???

<gulp>

Good luck everyone!