Question Of The Day - Wednesday, October 8th!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning!

I'm feeling rather uninspired today. I'm getting allergy tested tomorrow morning, and I have to be off all antihistimines for 36 hours prior to the testing. Needless to say, I'm absolutely miserable! My eyes are puffy, itchy and watering so much that I can barely see....and my cheeks are chapped from the watering! My nose is so plugged, I can barely breathe! I'm wheezy and coughing. Yesterday, with the antihistimines, I was fairly functional...today, all I want to do is go back to bed and try to sleep until my test tomorrow!!! The really rotten thing is....I never really suffered from allergies (besides a little wheezy-ness when the cats sleep with me) before this past spring! It came on all of a sudden!

Today's question:

Do you suffer from allergies? If so, what are your symptoms, how were you diagnosed, and what is your treatment? If not....I SO envy you!!!!

erzsebet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Today's question:

Do you suffer from allergies? If so, what are your symptoms, how were you diagnosed, and what is your treatment? If not....I SO envy you!!!!
Yes, yes I do!!!!!!!!!!

I actually have TERRIBLE allergies (runs in my family). I have constant dark circles under my eyes due to lack of circulation and pressure that builds up in that region(ever since I was young I looked like someone knocked me one..) My eyes are always puffy/itchy. I sneeze about 30 times a day & wake up feeling like a train ran over me in my sleep.
I was first put on singulair but it got to be too expensive since I am on a deductible and have to pay out of pocket for all prescriptions, (it costs like $120!!!!!!!!!!) Inow I take Zyrtec until I can afford the other. It worked wonders for me but had to set my priorities!! I also use a prescription eye drop to relief my eyes as well.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not aware of any allergy at all, and I know I am blessed every time I see someone else's suffering. I hope you get relief soon.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea I have them bad.
I have Asthma and Hay Fever andf have had the testing.
I am Allergic to so much and have 2 inhalers for Asthma and i also have Flonase and claritin d.
I have eczema on my elbows right now.
I get hives from so many things and the dr told me to gte rid of my cats in 1987 and I refused.
I am allergic to so much it would be way to much to post here.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do! Not as bad as I used to. Some where around high school I decided I wasn't going to let my body over react any more, and well, they aren't as bad now.

But I am allergic to all my pets- dogs, cats, and chinchillas. Actually, I'm allergic to most furry animals, including horses, though don't know if they have "fur", per se. I'm also allergic to almost any plant that has pollen, and grass. It was so fun playing soccer, because if I slid on the grass at all I'd come off all red and poufy! And of course, dust (and yes, chinchillas take dust baths- fun stuff!!).

But luckily, now a days I only have to take an occasional OTC allergy drug. And I'm adjusted to Evie, so she can sleep on my face without killing me now!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My allergies started when I was 19 and at my 1st semester in college. Its was the terribly itchy eyes. I rubbed them so much over the next few years they would be swollen and goopedup shut!! I had to feel my way to the bathroom to get a warm washcloth to unstick them and open them up so I could see. I had huge bags under my eyes-it look like I look a beating. Back then, (32 yrs ago) there was Benedryl and I think it was prescription only.

Over the years the symptons have abated dramatically. And the OTC meds have gotten better so I don't use prescription anything for the past 5 yrs.
Not really anything in the spring but I start watched for symptoms about August 10th and wait for the first hard frost (which we had last weekend) to bring the plants to the end!! Symptoms I now experience are stuffed up nose, headache, once in a while itchy eyes. I also use a neti pot which seems to help.

I also am mildly allergic to penecillin though never have been tested. The last time I took penecillin a good 15 yrs ago I became a bit itchy at the end of the dosage period. I checked with the doc and mentioned my mom is really allergic and he said to consider myself allergic with that mild reaction and avoid those products. I don't wear a bracelet stating this info though.

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am allergic to different things at different stages , does this make sense?

I have asthma and take 4 different inhalers , green , purple , blue and brown.. i also take steriods a lot for my chest and have been hospitalized twice for chest infections that were very very bad ect..

I take eye drops in the spring for my eyes as grass/plants make my eyes red/watery.. i also take a prescription anihistiene for about 2 months a year..

Jess x

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have pretty bad allergies, especially when it comes to my eyes. I take tons of different eye drops just to try and keep my eye issues under control. Actually had a really bad flair up yesterday and had to call my eye doctor (only my right eye was bothering me though at the time, not the left- so i think maybe I hurt it and didn't know- it's still totally irritated today.)

I also have asthma and other specific allergies too. I'm insanely allergic to smoke- can't be anywhere near it without getting horribly sick, i'm also allergic to most golds/coppers, and cinnamon if it gets on my lips (I can eat cinnamon if i'm careful not to touch it around my mouth, but if it gets on my mouth area i'll automatically get a rash.) . I'm super allergic to most kinds of grass (even just sitting on it outside will give me a huge red rash), timothy hay (found that out when I had a rabbit who ate it daily), most dairy (totally lactose intolerant, but lactaid pills help), dust, and pet hair when it gets on my face or around my eyes.

Probably the worst allergy I have those is to silicone- I figured that one out when I was at the eye doctor one day and he gave me some more "breathable" acuvue oasys contacts to try.... my eyes were swollen, itching, and it was a nightmare. I can hold silicone things like bakeware and oven mitts/etc....but I can not use anything with silicone near my face- including most contacts and a lot of facial lotions. (you'd be suprised what all silicone is in!)

Most of my allergies were done though allergy testing at the doctors office, but some things we found out when I had allergic reactions to them.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Minor, but constant allergies, and they're getting worse every season.

Probably some seasonal and some not... If they keep getting worse at this rate by the time I'm thirty I'll just stay in a bubble, thanks.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm allergic to latex, so using the gloves for my job used to be painful until they gave me some that don't have that horrible powder in. Now I can work pain free!

The gloves used to make me come up in a rash that spread round my wrist, it used to look nasty!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Good morning!

I'm feeling rather uninspired today. I'm getting allergy tested tomorrow morning, and I have to be off all antihistimines for 36 hours prior to the testing. Needless to say, I'm absolutely miserable! My eyes are puffy, itchy and watering so much that I can barely see....and my cheeks are chapped from the watering! My nose is so plugged, I can barely breathe! I'm wheezy and coughing. Yesterday, with the antihistimines, I was fairly functional...today, all I want to do is go back to bed and try to sleep until my test tomorrow!!! The really rotten thing is....I never really suffered from allergies (besides a little wheezy-ness when the cats sleep with me) before this past spring! It came on all of a sudden!

Today's question:

My allergies come in May (Hay Fever). I have the usual allergies but mine are quite severe. I then read in a magazine that the Dallas area was the worst place in the country if you had Hay Fever allergies. In fact, that is the reason so many people chuck it all and move to a place like Arizona. But thankfully I can comb Persi every morning with fur flying in my face with no problems. The real sad part of this topic is that my best friend's wife cannot be near cats, especially a long haired one like Persi. They live in California and we have invited them to stay a few days but my friend's DW is at the point she just could not accompany him.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have allergies, unfortunately if it doesn't affect my breathing or give me a rash immediately after I use / eat it, I don't know if I'm allergic to it or not.

I have "dermatographism" which basically means that I get hive welts from blunt touching my skin. So any needle prick during an allergy test results in huge hives.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...pages/2780.htm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000005.htm

When something does trigger my allergies, I usually end up with a runny nose, sneezing and dry coughs of 2 in a row, which indicates that my asthma has been triggered. Some other reactions I get, depending on what the product is: rash and dry itchy eyes.

They say itchy ear canals are also a sign of allergies. I have chronic itchy ear canals that I have to use hydrocortisone cream or drops for.