My cat is pretty unhealthy.

superswiper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, my cat is pretty old. He's 17 in cat years, which would equal 88 in human years, right? But just pretty recently, he's been acting weird. He's been like this for the last few months and he just keeps getting worse. It's like it all happened so suddenly. Some problems are that he's always hungry, pees (and sometimes, poops) right on the floor in the bathroom, doesn't walk straight and loses his balance, spreads his hind legs when eating, is getting skinnier and one time, he also fell down the stairway when trying to walk down. What should I do here? My mom suggests that we should take him in to be to sleep. It'll be hard since I've had him since I was just 4. Should he be put to sleep or not?

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he should be seen by the vet to see what's wrong with him. Sounds a bit like my border collie who died last Feb when she was almost 15 y/o. She had dementia & arthritis.
No one can tell you what is wrong with your cat on a forum. See the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

superswiper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, thanks. So that's what I should do instead of just putting him to sleep?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have a vet check him out first, instead of just putting him right to sleep.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I would have a vet check him out first, instead of just putting him right to sleep.

He may very well have something easily treatable. 17 IS old, but a lot of cats have lived longer. A friend recently lost a cat at 22 years old. Pepper was healthy and enjoying life right up to the end.

superswiper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

He may very well have something easily treatable. 17 IS old, but a lot of cats have lived longer. A friend recently lost a cat at 22 years old. Pepper was healthy and enjoying life right up to the end.
Yeah, I hope my cat can be treated. I also heard that my cat has been like this because he had a stroke. Can they recover from them? If so, how long would it normally take? By the way, the cat in your avatar looks a lot like my cat.

superswiper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, so my cat is dying right now. He's been lying around and he can barely move. He was going to go to vet today, but it looks like it's too late now.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why did you let your cat get in such bad shape without taking it to the vet.
I hope you will do that if you haven't already.

superswiper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I would still try.
I ahve seen cats very bad that were saved.
Maybe. I'll have to see about that.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Superswiper

Maybe. I'll have to see about that.
What time are you going in? I would ring the vet, explain the situation and see if you can get in earlier - he needs help right away.

superswiper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was taken in, but they had to put him to sleep. There was nothing else they could do. He was dying anyway. This is too bad. I miss him already.
I might get another cat soon though.

superswiper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, they said he was going die any day anyway. I just knew my cat was a goner.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm really sorry, you must be heartbroken!

What did the vet say he was dying of?