hand sore after wrapping rope around it

thh20

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was helping my husband move something heavy down the stairs yesterday. It was awkward, so I tied a rope to my end and wrapped the rope around my hand to get a better grip. We were going around a corner and I felt a sudden sharp pain in my hand. There's no visible injury, but the base of my pinky finger is sore (where the finger joins the palm), and I think the finger is at a *slightly* different angle as the one on my other hand. Should I get this checked out or let it heal on it's own? I still have full range of movement of the finger, it just feels bruised at the base, and only when I touch it.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bones in your hands can be easily broken. I would go and have X-rays taken.
Are you icing that area??

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a good chance you could have a small fracture in your finger, although if you have full movement and it's not swollen it's probably not too bad. I would still get it looked at and get an x-ray to make sure. If it's not too extreme they will probably just splint it, but I'm worried about it being at a "slightly different angle". If left heal like that it can really cause you more problems down the road. I broke my little toe about 4 years ago by running into a wall (don't ask!
) and even after a few weeks I was still "popping" it back in place or else it felt weird. I never got it looked at (although I don't know what they could have done for a broken little toe except tape it) and I still have problems with it when it's cold and damp out. Lord help me in 20 years when artheritis really sets in!