Fleas fleas fleas.....

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody,

Need some help with my flea problem, it is driving me nuts. I have 2 of my own cats, 1 foster cat and a dog, which is the only one going outside. My neighborhood has a large problem with feral cats and i think thats where my problem starts: I cannot get my flea problem under control. Every 4 week, I run to the vet and get my frontline, I vaccum my carpet and furniture every day, wash my sheets, even purchased some Flea spray for the carpet, which I use once a week, they are still there. I cannot even hold my dog and I get bitten. Everybody is miserable. I research a bit online and i guess I could bath my dog in a thick layer of dawny dish detergent, but my cats will kill me if I even attempted to get them in the tub...
Anya advised would be appreciated.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's obvious the problem is out of control. My advice call Orkin Pest Control. My dad works for them and he got rid of our fleas. 3 days and no more fleas. It's a very quick process.

You will have to treat your cats with montly frontline or advantage, even though they aren't going outside.

Leslie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do treat all 4 pets every 4 weeks with Frontline. Every month one of the cats needs to be de-wormed, it's a mess. I bathed my dog in dawn soap last night, killed all the fleas on her, but I guess getting the house sprayed professionally will be next. This will kill the fleas that are currently in the appartment, but won't prevent any of them to come back, it's a lost battle I feel.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you kill out all the fleas in the house and are treating all the pets it should end the cycle. Even if the pets bring them back in, the treatment to your house will remain in the carpet for sometime and kill what gets in the carpet out and anything that gets on your pets will bite and be killed that way.

Leslie

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by scuns68

I do treat all 4 pets every 4 weeks with Frontline. Every month one of the cats needs to be de-wormed, it's a mess. I bathed my dog in dawn soap last night, killed all the fleas on her, but I guess getting the house sprayed professionally will be next. This will kill the fleas that are currently in the appartment, but won't prevent any of them to come back, it's a lost battle I feel.
The fleas currently in your apartment are your problem is my guess. They will continue to thrive and hatch new babies frequently even though your pets are treated.

You will probably need to do a professional fumigation and then the continued 4 week treatments of your pets should fix your problem.

We humans can bring the little beggers in on our clothing from outside so treating our homes and our pets will be the best solution.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scuns68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am going to try a product called Benzarid, I have been told to use this on my furniture and bedding. My vet told me its the dog that is bringing in the fleas from outside, if the area has this problem and Frontline only kills them when they bite, other then that they do not die alone from applying Frontline. There should be a product that you can apply on your pet that will kill the fleas once they get in the furr, to my knowledge that doesn't excist.

I also did the water bowel with Dawn test under a lamp overnight, been told this will attrackt the fleas that are in the carpet and kill them, once they jump into the water dish. There was only 1 flea in the dish.

I spend all my saving (put aside for vet care in case needed) on flea meds, cleaning supplies and de-wormer, it's a waste it seems............