Interstate transport of 10-12 week old kittens

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am searching for whether a rabies vaccine is needed to fly a 10-12 week old kittens who are fixed

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I am searching for whether a rabies vaccine is needed to fly a 10-12 week old kittens who are fixed
Jen,

The answer is no. You must have a Vet supplied health certificate and the Vet will mark the certificate accordingly, that the kittens are too young for a Rabies Vax.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How would you recommend transporting to 10 ish week old kittens via air ( airline recommendations
) without a human companion ... is there a easy way?>??

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depends on the airline you choose. Each have there own requirements, but without a human companion, they will be shipped in the temperature-controlled and pressurized cargo hold. Most have restrictions about temperature so shipping in extreme temperatures is not recommended ... sometimes, they have to sit out on the tarmac while loading/unloading is being done and temperature extremes are an issue. My recommendation to you is to check with the individual airlines and see what each requires.

While others may have had different experiences, Tonka was shipped to me from Michigan in early October of 2003. He was 11 weeks old and he was fine with no lasting problems or trauma. I give a lot of credit for that to Northwestern Airlines, as their animal shipping policies were in the best interest of the animal and the personnel on both ends of the route were really sweet to him.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they have pet transport companies in the US? Over here they do door-door pickup, take care of all the paperwork etc.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We do have pet transport companies in the states, however, based on my own experience, they charge nothing short of a small fortune.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
http://www.petrelocation.com/contact.html

I didn't look up the charges.

I shipped Tsekani with Air Canada from Ontario to BC. There was a separate hangar I had to go to as he was shipped in a cargo plane not a people transporter. Everything went well. I do know there are breeders who will not ship unaccompanied and I am told that there are off-duty airline attendants who will carry on cats for a fee. I don't know how to find these people though.....

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sohni

I do know there are breeders who will not ship unaccompanied and I am told that there are off-duty airline attendants who will carry on cats for a fee. I don't know how to find these people though.....
It's usually word of mouth. We have a flight atendant we use fairly regularly. If she's not available we use Continental airlines. They don't have temperature restrictions, as the pets are handled like counter to counter shipments, not like cargo or baggage. Cost is a tad higher, but worth the peace of mind.[/quote]

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nial, I asked Jack's breeder about that counter to counter. She personally doesn't like it as she thinks the kitten/cat sits longer at one spot and the other. She's had better service in cargo as they pick them up and put them on the plane faster. Apparently the c-to-c you have to wait while the cargo gets loaded and unloaded first.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Nial, I asked Jack's breeder about that counter to counter. She personally doesn't like it as she thinks the kitten/cat sits longer at one spot and the other. She's had better service in cargo as they pick them up and put them on the plane faster. Apparently the c-to-c you have to wait while the cargo gets loaded and unloaded first.
Perhaps, but my reasoning is, that the cat does not sit out on the tarmac with the cargo and bags, while baggage trucks and jet engines roar away. Personally I'd rather have a cat sit in a relatively quiet space for the extra half hour or even hour, than be subjected to all that commotion and the elements.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's true too
Of course, if they are not too phased at the big planes/engines, etc., then you know nothing will phase them in the show hall

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

That's true too
Of course, if they are not too phased at the big planes/engines, etc., then you know nothing will phase them in the show hall
Well, that's a good point.

There are even more scary things in the showhall for cats. Most of my cats are either nervous or afraid of this one judge. An older lady with very large thick glasses. They make her eyes look huge and my cats always back away from her when she approaches the judging cage.