Vet won't spay until 4 months old

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Goldy's kittens are 6-1/2 weeks old now. I took them to the vet this morning for their first check-up and shots. I had hoped to make an appointment to get Goldy and the kittens all spayed/neutered at the same time around the end of October. I figure they will be completely weaned by then (probably). Anyway, my vet says he doesn't do it until they are 4-5 months old.

He did agree to reevaluate in 3 weeks when the kittens get their booster shots, and he might do the boy earlier. I really don't want to have an intact male maturing before all the girls are fixed.

The good news is that he apparently has access to some funds from a spay/neuter program, and said that he could draw on that to help pay for the kittens' operations. I didn't ask about Goldy, but since she was a stray I may be able to talk him into including her.

I'm not sure what to do about adopting the kittens out now. I had said I wouldn't let them go until they were spayed or neutered. However, I'm not sure about keeping them for 4 months. I've been talking to people--none of whom want kittens--but had not started putting out advertising flyers yet. Guess I'll put that off a little longer until I decide how to handle it.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a similar problem with my foster kittens, most places I called said they had to be 12 weeks or 16 weeks and they would only take two for spay/neuter at a time (I have 7). Then I found a low cost spay/neuter that will do them at 8 weeks or 2 pounds. I had them spayed/neutered last week at 11 weeks and hopefully they will be going to their new homes soon!
Good luck.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
check here: spayusa.org. my local clinic, which is affiliated w/spayUSA, will neuter/spay @ 2 pounds. worth looking into! it's also pretty inexpensive - $35 for spay [don't know neuter, but it's less].

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
there are still a lot of vets who subscribe to this antiquated notion that cats have to reach sexual maturity before they can be fixed. like the other folks have noted, ironically the groups that are the most progressive (ie will spay at 8 wks/2lbs) are often the cheapest (ASPCA low-cost, etc.) so hopefully you can find another vet out there, at least for this operation.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet neutered Speck early because he weighed more than the average kitten his age. However, I have a friend with lab puppies that were spayed...one of them at an early age because she was adopted from Animal Control (in our county, they have any pet you adopt spayed or neutered before you can take them home.) The puppy that came from Animal Control has a problem with urinating during her sleep. The vet thinks it's a hormonal problem from being fixed so young. She is on estrogen now and doing better. I don't if kittens can be affected the same way, but things like this could play into a vet's decision to wait longer on spaying.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Where in Arizona are you?
I'm in Wickenburg, about 50 miles northwest of Phoenix.

Originally Posted by nurseangel

My vet neutered Speck early because he weighed more than the average kitten his age. However, I have a friend with lab puppies that were spayed...one of them at an early age because she was adopted from Animal Control (in our county, they have any pet you adopt spayed or neutered before you can take them home.) The puppy that came from Animal Control has a problem with urinating during her sleep. The vet thinks it's a hormonal problem from being fixed so young. She is on estrogen now and doing better. I don't if kittens can be affected the same way, but things like this could play into a vet's decision to wait longer on spaying.
I read somewhere recently that kittens could be spayed at a younger age than puppies. Sorry, I don't remember the reference. I've cruised through a lot of websites and books researching the issue. Several sources have indicated that size is more critical for kittens than age. If they're over 2# they should be okay. Of course, you still have to deal with the individual vets. There are only two small animal clinics in my town. My vet says 4-5 months. The other clinic says at least 5 months. My vet did say he would reevaluate when I bring the kittens back for their booster shots in a couple of weeks, and he might be willing to neuter the boy earlier. Lion was already 2# at 6 weeks of age.

Originally Posted by laureen227

check here: spayusa.org. my local clinic, which is affiliated w/spayUSA, will neuter/spay @ 2 pounds. worth looking into! it's also pretty inexpensive - $35 for spay [don't know neuter, but it's less].
I requested information and they sent me an email with a Phoenix phone number. I haven't had a chance to call yet. I also did a Google search and came up with a couple of "low cost" spay/neuter programs. One of them referred me back to the second vet in Wickenburg, who does not spay early and who does not have a reduced fee.

The second program is done through the Petco stores and the closest one is about 40 miles away. It's first come, first served, starting at 7:00 AM. They suggest you get there between 6:00 and 6:30 to get in line. Sooo . . . I would have to put three kittens and a momma cat in the carrier(s), leave the house by 5:30, drive for close to an hour, wait until at least 7:00 to see if I can even get them done, then stay in town until around 1:00 PM to pick them up, and then have the long drive back home with 4 kitties who are not completely recovered from surgery. I'm thinking it would be more stress--for the kitties and for me--than it's worth.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I forgot to mention when I originally answered your post, I think it is wonderful of you to try to get your kittens spayed or neutered before adopting them out. I hope it works out and you find a vet that will do it, but even if you don't you should be applauded for trying.