What's for dinner tonight?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are all you lovely people having for dinner tonight?

I'm making baked chicken (marinated in zesty Italian dressing, chili powder, garlic salt, sea salt, black peppercorn, and spicy season all.) I've had it marinating all day, so I can't wait to eat! I'm making rice and sweet peas to go with it.

What is everyone else having tonight?

oci-lot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to make grilled salmon with wild rice and peas

and of course some for the little ocelot

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Baked ham and cheese rolls in puff pastry, with a salad of some sort -- maybe Caesar.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got home. It was a long day - worked 2 hours longer than normal. Just making some hard boiled eggs, and some of my homemade applesauce. Maybe something else. I have no desire to cook anything large tonight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Baked ham and cheese rolls in puff pastry, with a salad of some sort -- maybe Caesar.
Yum! Your dinner sounds great!
Do you have a recipe for that??

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

What are all you lovely people having for dinner tonight?

I'm making baked chicken (marinated in zesty Italian dressing, chili powder, garlic salt, sea salt, black peppercorn, and spicy season all.) I've had it marinating all day, so I can't wait to eat! I'm making rice and sweet peas to go with it.

What is everyone else having tonight?
Hamburgers. Sounds pretty blah, huh? But not here, we use only prime burger meat, ground sirloin cooked medium-rare. And thick. With aged white Canadian cheddar melted on it. The usual lettuce and tomato. Add bread & Butter pickles and heavy on the onions. And of course this is Texas so add sliced pickled jalapeno peppers and homemade buns with some special BBQ sauce. But wait, don't forget the thick sliced fries with skins intact and coated with a special hot sauce. Yep, that's what we are having.

Next?...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Hamburgers. Sounds pretty blah, huh? But not here, we use only prime burger meat, ground sirloin cooked medium-rare. And thick. With aged white Canadian cheddar melted on it. The usual lettuce and tomato. Add bread & Butter pickles and heavy on the onions. And of course this is Texas so add sliced pickled jalapeno peppers and homemade buns with some special BBQ sauce. But wait, don't forget the thick sliced fries with skins intact and coated with a special hot sauce. Yep, that's what we are having.

Next?...
That sounds amazing
You can cook me a hamburger anytime you want!!!
(I'll take a medium well one please!!!
)

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to finally make my pork loin, but I dont feel like waiting 1.5 hours tonight for it to be done. So Rob ate chicken his dad cooked on the grill. It was overgrilled IMO though. I had a salad and a banana dipped in melted chocolate
What a great dinner. I'm still starving though because I only had a little bag of chips around 1:45pm today.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. I had home made lentil soup and some toast, and then finished it off with some light caramel ice cream! Edy's brand. Anyone else ever try it? Their slow churned stuff is really good! I've even gotten my boyfriend to switch over and that's good because his cholesterol is high.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Yum! Your dinner sounds great!
Do you have a recipe for that??
Well, not a recipe, per se, but I can tell you what I do...

I use frozen puff pastry. The brand I get comes in two blocks, approx 3x3x1", each of which rolls out to about 15"x15". Then I use a sharp knife to cut the rolled out pastry into three strips, spread about two-thirds of the length lightly with Dijon mustard, lay thinly sliced ham over the mustard, and thinly sliced cheese* over the ham. Roll up, starting with the end that has the fillings, so that the bare end wraps around to finish the roll. Seal edges, place on a cookie sheet, brush the tops with egg white, and bake in about 400 F for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.

*Cheese: Much as I love cheddar, I prefer Swiss or similar cheese with ham. I usually have Jarlsberg in the house, because I can get that already sliced, just the way I like it at Costco, and it's great, but Emmenthal or Gruyere would be fine too. Real cheese, though, not processed ****.

These are great straight out of the oven (don't burn your mouth!) with a salad for an easy dinner, and the leftovers make great lunches.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Next?...
Burgers don't HAVE to be blah! -- as you have amply demonstrated!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tomato soup. Still recovering from getting my gallbladder out and any attempt to eat anything remotely normal has unpleasant side effects, so I'm sticking to low-no fat foods. (low fat meaning less than 2g fat)

Scratch that - tomato soup didn't help tonight.

ewa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I finally finished bringing in all my veggies from the garden(it's getting colder and could snow any day here), so I am trying to use everything up before it goes bad. I made grilled skewers of zuchini, squash, cherry tomatoes and homemade basil goat cheese, and on the side garlic mushroom couscous. I pulled a homemade(by my mother) peach pie for dessert out of the freezer.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Well, not a recipe, per se, but I can tell you what I do...

I use frozen puff pastry. The brand I get comes in two blocks, approx 3x3x1", each of which rolls out to about 15"x15". Then I use a sharp knife to cut the rolled out pastry into three strips, spread about two-thirds of the length lightly with Dijon mustard, lay thinly sliced ham over the mustard, and thinly sliced cheese* over the ham. Roll up, starting with the end that has the fillings, so that the bare end wraps around to finish the roll. Seal edges, place on a cookie sheet, brush the tops with egg white, and bake in about 400 F for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.

*Cheese: Much as I love cheddar, I prefer Swiss or similar cheese with ham. I usually have Jarlsberg in the house, because I can get that already sliced, just the way I like it at Costco, and it's great, but Emmenthal or Gruyere would be fine too. Real cheese, though, not processed ****.

These are great straight out of the oven (don't burn your mouth!) with a salad for an easy dinner, and the leftovers make great lunches.
Thankyou!
That sounds great!!!

krazycatlover

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
very simple and easy
grilled cheese and tomato soup. Tomorrow I think I am going to make a roast chicken salad and red potatoes
I better go get it out of the freezer