want to get a dog

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been thinking about adopting a dog for some time now. I'm looking into getting a Puggle or Pug. I'm just worried that Tessie will be afraid of the dog. She runs and hides when my Mom brings over her Black Lab. Do you think with some slow introductions that Tessie would except a dog into the house? I don't want her to be scared all the time.
Thanks

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't buy into "designer dogs", so I will just leave it at that.

I suppose that my advice is if she's not been around dogs before & has been afraid of them, is to adopt an adult/somewhat more mellow small dog from a shelter. We just had a 2 year old Cockapoo who was very calm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I don't buy into "designer dogs", so I will just leave it at that.

I suppose that my advice is if she's not been around dogs before & has been afraid of them, is to adopt an adult/somewhat more mellow small dog from a shelter. We just had a 2 year old Cockapoo who was very calm.
It's going to be a long shot finding a pug or puggle near me, but that is what I really would want. But if I fall in love with a little mix that is also fine with me

I don't want a dog that is to crazy since I live in an apartment. But the dog would give me the insentive to go for more walks
. It's such a hard decission becuase once I get one I will never ever bring it back to the shelter if it doesnt work out.

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dog introductions usually go one way or another..

Some shelters will let u bring your dog to them , another thing i would recommend is when u 'look' at the dogs at the shelter and if u pick one leave a blanket for it to sleep on , after a couple of days (usually shelters check ur home so it takes a few days) pick the blanket up give it to ur dog to sniff and in those couple of days let ur dog sleep on a fresh blanket for the dog at the shelter , that way the dogs will assosciate smells ect..

The trouble is 'scared' dogs can actually be quite spiteful/nippy (out of fear of course) so you do need to be careful , and also some shelters may not let u adopt a dog with a not so assosiated dog(i hope i hope i am making sense)

Jess x

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 3 large dogs (including a choc lab) and a pug and the cats seem to get along better with the pug, especially the older ones. Maybe because she is more their size. Talk to the shelter to see what dogs they have that are cat friendly or were raised in a home with cats. If they are used to them, they don't get as excited and think they are a new toy or playmate. Introductions will take time. See if you can bring a dog home for the weekend and see how it goes before you make it permenant. Most shelters are willing to do that if they know there are other animals in the house.

And, to see if dogs and cats can learn to get along together, here are Gizmo and Buttercup (they were actually sleeping together but woke up when I turned on the camera:

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was in your same situation. What we did was since we volunteered at the SPCA we were able to really find a dog that totally and completely fit in with the family. When we decided on Bruno…. Correction… When Bruno decided on my boyfriend we had the SPCA staff put him in a room with a cat and see how he reacted. We saw he was fine.

Our step after that was to create a “safe room†for my cats. We emptied out the guest room, put some toys, litter, food, water, cat tree, etc… all their favorite things. We then got a wooden baby gate, but the bars were made of a flimsy plastic and cut out a little hole for them. We then got another baby gate and put it by the stairs to the basement. So regardless of whatever side of the house they were on they had somewhere to run.

We kept Bruno on leash in the house for 3 days until we were certain he wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t kill the cats. That cats HATED him, my house was full of hissing, running, swatting, Bruno crying for at least a week. Then it settled. Capone fell in love with Bruno and rubs against his legs. Bugs… well Bugsy still hates him but pretends he doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t even exists.

I think the most important thing about introducing a dog to cats… especially if the cat is afraid is to have a safe room for them. This way they can watch from a safe area, in a relaxed state and get used to the idea of the dog.

Just make sure you get that right dog. In getting a dog I nearly had a heart attack thinking of what could happen to my cats if we got the wrong dog. We were very careful in selecting. Thankfully our SPCA was so great in helping us with this.

Wow…ya I wrote a novel LOL good luck!!

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the help
. I might go down to SPCA this weekend to look at some dogs. I will not rush becuase I want to find the perfect dog for my home

herbalheidi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it is adorable when dogs and cats become friends.

When I was a little girl and lived in the country we had a dog and a duck that became good friends. They met as newborns, so it was easy for them to get along. They would wrestle just like two kittens and everyone loved to watch! The duck would wrap its wings around the dog and they would roll all over the yard.

I'm sure you'll be able to make a pug and your cat get along. You've seemed to have thought it out.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like any new pet, it takes time and patience. Puppies are cute, but take a lot of work and training. If you want a well behaved dog that is used to cats, I'd look into rescue groups.

IMO I would not buy into the designer breeds (which is what a Puggle is). They are nothing more then mixed breed dogs - they are not purebred and you are only lining the pockets of byb's when you buy one.

Check out shelters and rescue groups first rather then the backyard breeders.

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I went to the shelter this weekend and looked around. There was a 3 year old mix there that had the the cuttest face, loved giving kisses and great personality
but come to find out after talking with the people she does not get along with cats
I might just wait till I move, hopefully by June 09. That way I'm settled in my new apartment by myself (no roomates).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Puggles are NOT a breed. I just wish people would stop putting "names" on mixes and trying to get the public to accept them as a "breed" - call them what they are - overpriced mixed breed dogs.

Puggles are Pug/Beagle and Beagles can be stubborn dogs. Smaller dogs are sometimes difficult to train for potty - so yes you are right in the sense they are hard to train - you have 2 breeds that have issues

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others that an adult might be your best bet...

I'd also suggest searching for breed rescues or independent all-breed / mix rescues in your area. Many times these do a better job of "testing" their dogs, as they foster them in homes and can get more info on them that way...

If you go to one of those type rescues and tell them exactly what your living situation, other pets, what you want in the dog, etc. are, then they can match you with one of their dogs that fits or tell you they don't have one that would work for you.

I also agree that waiting until after you move might be a better plan.

As to a pug, puggle, etc...

I wouldn't suggest any hunting/hound type mix (i.e. pug/beagle) or probably most "terrier" mixes, unless it's a special case...these would have more hunting drive and most hound breeds can be harder to train in general (and most terriers are higher energy).

I'd go on a dog-by-dog basis, but yes, keep in mind that most "toy" sized breeds have a really hard time housebreaking and many cannot make it through a work-day without going outside (or inside).

A shih-tzu might be a good bet, for a toy sized breed, my aunt breeds/shows them and they generally seem like happy dogs and are not difficult to train...They DO have long hair though, so daily grooming and trips to the groomer are a must.

Pugs have very short muzzles, so if it will get hot where you live (or are moving) that can be a consideration... The shih-tzus and pekingese my aunt has will get overheated after just 5-15 minutes outside on a hot day, so that is something to keep in mind.

Another toy breed you may want to look into is the italian greyhound... they too have bladder issues, but are somewhat calmer when adult, than pugs (I believe).

HTH,
Art

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ~*Regina*~

It's going to be a long shot finding a pug or puggle near me, but that is what I really would want. But if I fall in love with a little mix that is also fine with me

I don't want a dog that is to crazy since I live in an apartment. But the dog would give me the insentive to go for more walks
. It's such a hard decission becuase once I get one I will never ever bring it back to the shelter if it doesnt work out.
A "puggle" is mix breed...not a purebred anything...And anything mixed with Pug will be more energetic than your cat may like.

If you want a cute small breed mix, go to your local shelter, rather than buying into the whole business of people raising mutts for profit...I find it ridiculous to spend an outrageous amount of money for a mix breed, when you can find a lovely one in the shelter, or adoption group for much less; and you aren't contributing to the back yard breeding and puppy mills, that contributes to many of the dogs that wind up in shelters.

If you want a purebred dog, do some research (do research either way) to find the dog that will best suit your needs in a dog. There are many breeds, both large and small breeds that will fit into your lifestyle, and be more gentle and easier to get used to for your cat.

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Regina- I am owned by a Pug ( I adopted him a year ago) and he is such a love bug. He gets along fine with my kitties......of course they had to be properly introduced. He did like to chase them at first.......but he was quickly taught not to! Pugs are very social and loving companions. They are about the size of a cat too(well a large cat)! I am actually part of a Pug Meetup Group and from time time I see pugs for adoption through this group and one of the members of the group is involved in rescue I believe. If you are ever interested in meeting him (to see if you like Pugs in general) or learning more about this group send me a PM. I know right now there are two pugs looking for a home....but I believe they have to go together.

strakatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 pit bulls that live with my cats just great. If anything they (the cats) look forward to their big bull dog kisses. Betty 75 lbs and Timex 5 lbs sleep together all the time. I keep the cat food up high so the dogs don't get it but its not unusual to see the dogs and the cats eating from the same dog food bowel. Maggie my youngest pit has a young Siamese Cary as her buddy. Kind of funny to see a big ol bull dog being chased by a cat around the house. I did get my pits as puppies and introduced them to the cats at a very young age. They have shown no aggression towards any of the cats and they are very easy to house train. Almost as easy as litter box training a kitten.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live with both cats and dogs and have for a long time. What I've learned about bringing in new dogs is this:

Puppies can be quite rowdy and can very easily upset the cat balance in your household. The last time we adopted a puppy (Sam), we went back to the shelter and adopted his brother (Spike) so that Sam would leave the cats alone. If a puppy had a lot of playmates, they immediately transfer their play-drive to cats if that is their only option.

Hounds can have a strong hunting instinct and sight hounds in particular have been bred to respond to fast movement. They can get along marvelously with cats (I had 2 greyhounds), but it was very nerve wracking at first until I made sure they all got along.

Border Collies / BC mixes can really annoy cats. My OTB Jethro used to stand watch over the cats when they were sleeping. When I say over I mean over. The poor cats would wake up soaking wet from the saliva that he drooled while watching them from 6 inches overhead. I clocked him watching them for an hour one time. My current Lola has enough border collie in her that she is very active. When she jumps around during play, the cats tend to scatter. We have to give her a lot of outdoor play time to tire her out before coming back into the house. But she never quite tires, so she always jumps around when she plays. Lesson learned here - we should have adopted one a little bit older and settled down a bit more. Lola is 18 months old and we still have another 18 months to go before we expect her to mellow out a little bit.