TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › KatKwery Playoffs - Round 1 - Game 2 - Oct. 6
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

KatKwery Playoffs - Round 1 - Game 2 - Oct. 6

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
2008 KatKwery Playoffs
Round 1 – Game 2

Topic: Cat Breeds

1. Can you say for sure what breeds or mixtures of breeds all of your cats are?

2. Do you know the name of the leading registrar of cats in the world (the one with the most registered purebred cats)?

3. Do you know where the Himalayan cat originated? If not, would you care to hazard a guess?

4. When you see Calico cats, do you think of them as a breed? Why or why not?

5. What are your honest feelings about buying expensive purebred cats as opposed to getting a moggy down at the animal shelter?

6. Some people just call cats longhaired or shorthaired without further classification. When it comes to having longhaired or shorthaired cats, what are your preferences, and why?

7. If you look at cat breed descriptions, you will find some listed as very vocal and others as being quiet and reserved. Which of these do you prefer, or do you like a mixture?

8. Of course with a topic like today’s I have to ask if you have visited the TCS descriptions of Cat Breeds (found by selecting the Cat Breeds tab above) and how many of the articles you have read?

9. Whether you have read the Cat Breeds descriptions on TCS or elsewhere, have you also read descriptions about cats that are other than breeds which you own?

10. About how many recognized separate breeds of cats (purebloods) do you think there are?
post #2 of 18
Sorry to who ever may try to read this- I typed it up on Word, and it's 3 FULL pages worth! And watch, I still won't get a word.

2008 KatKwery Playoffs
Round 1 – Game 2

Topic: Cat Breeds

1. Can you say for sure what breeds or mixtures of breeds all of your cats are?

My favorite answer to any “what is your cat / dog / whatever†is CUTE! That’s my favorite breed. Though if my understanding of cat breeds is correct, unless they have papers, the only “breed†your cat can be is domestic long / medium / short hair. Sadly, I can never tell what length is what! So I’m not sure if Evie is DLH, DMH, or DSH! All I know is she is cute! Of my current two fosters, Cronos is a Maine Coon mix, and you can tell by looking at him, while Sam is just DSH. My dalmatian kitty- he’s white with black spots! Oh, and by the way, I certainly can not say for sure that my above answers are correct! I’m always likely to get something confused.


2. Do you know the name of the leading registrar of cats in the world (the one with the most registered purebred cats)?

Without googling it, because I think that would be “cheatingâ€, all I can think of is the AKC- the American Kennel Club! I’m pretty sure that isn’t the one for cats, though. So now that I’ve answered honestly without cheating, I went and googled it! Google sent me to Wikipedia, which I know better than to trust, but oh well! These are the “registrars†it listed:

Cat Fanciers Association (CFA)
Fédération Internationale Féline (FIFe)
The International Cat Association (TICA)
American Cat Fanciers Association (ACFA)

Darn thing didn’t tell me which has the most, though! And since I’m still at work and still have a book left to write, can’t spend any more time looking it up.


3. Do you know where the Himalayan cat originated? If not, would you care to hazard a guess?

No, I don’t know where it came from. Would I care to hazard a guess? Sure- Himalaya! Hah. That seems way too easy and can’t be right, but that is my guess! So, after googling this, I was sent right back to TCS! Shoulda known. Here’s a copy from TCS:

The Himalayan breed was started in 1930 by Dr. Clyde Keller, from The Harvard Medical School, and Virginia Cobb of Newton Cattery. They started out by breeding Siamese cats with Persian cats, trying to develop a long-haired, Persian-bodied cat with the color-points of the Siamese. They bred and crossbred until "Newton's Debutante" was born. This cat was the first cat recognized as beginning the Himalayan Breed.


4. When you see Calico cats, do you think of them as a breed? Why or why not?

I used to think of Calico as a breed! I thought that because I didn’t know any better. I went to the shelter, and they listed “calicoâ€, so why shouldn’t I listen to them, right? Wrong! Once we adopted Evie, I did some research on Calicos, and sure enough, they are not a breed! Shortly after I did that research, my mom took biology and studied genetics. One of her questions was about the calico gene! Luckily for her I already knew how that worked, so I even explained it to her!


5. What are your honest feelings about buying expensive purebred cats as opposed to getting a moggy down at the animal shelter?

What’s a moggy?? Sheesh, I had to look this up too. Interesting stuff! “Moggy†is “British affectionate term for a domestic cat, but is also used as alternative name for a mongrel or mixed-breed cat.†And yet “not a corruption of the word 'mongrel', as many believe. It was first recorded in 1911, and was possibly derived from maggie, margie or mog, all short forms of the female name Margaret. It is thought this was first used to describe an ungainly lumbering old cow, and it may even have been a minor rural English name for any cow; since 'moggy' was used in several 1800s English dialects as an 'affectionate name' for a cowâ€.

The things I learn in KatKwery!! I’ll have to start calling Evie my cow.

Back to the original question! My honest opinion is that “moggiesâ€, what I would call mutts, are for sure the way to go! I know we have a lot of excellent breeders on here, and no offense to them, but I am strongly biased against “pure breed†cats. All I think you are paying for with the ridiculous expense of a pure bred is extra inbreeding, known genetic faults, and just as much potential for the personality to be as unique and unpredictable as any cat. So why inbreed the cats just for that?? Mixed cats and dogs are both healthier on average, though admittedly there is more of a risk based on the unknown beginning to their lives.

And I’m one of those who would definitely rather I, and everyone, rescued a cat from a shelter rather than “buy†one and only encourage more people trying to make money off a living animal. I couldn’t stand trying to make a business out of selling another life and soul! I know the good breeders don’t try to make a profit, but still, it’s the idea of it.

Lastly, the main reason for breeding is to show the animal- another idea I am completely against. Work them, fine, but don’t we all understand yet that it is what’s inside that counts, not how they look?? I hate the fact that to me, Evie is the most beautiful girl ever, and yet she would be “disqualified†for a huge number of reasons. Ridiculous!!

Sorry, you asked for my honest opinion.


6. Some people just call cats longhaired or shorthaired without further classification. When it comes to having longhaired or shorthaired cats, what are your preferences, and why?

My preference is Evie! As I said above, I go by the personality, not the looks. So my preference in a cat is one is affectionate and has a great personality. Likes to play and cuddle both! Does enough to keep me entertained and feeling loved, and yet independent enough so I can go away to work without feeling TOO guilty. As long as I find that cat, I don’t care if they are long haired, short haired, or no haired! He he.

If I had to answer- which I do if I want the secret word!- I’d have to say short haired. I’ve never had a long hair cat, unless you consider Evie long haired (fur is a few inches, no more than two, actually. Is that long?), so I don’t know for sure, but it sure seems like that would be a lot of work! You’d have to brush the cat all the time, or risk them getting matts, and that isn’t fair to the cat (another reason I can’t stand breeding, you know that’s not natural!). You’d also have to deal with the shedding and the hair balls. Ugh! And with my allergies, less fur is better!


7. If you look at cat breed descriptions, you will find some listed as very vocal and others as being quiet and reserved. Which of these do you prefer, or do you like a mixture?

I like vocal animals! I love having conversations with them. Evie is very talkative, and I love it! My husband and I are always talking to her, and she talks right back! Cronos is pretty talkative, too, but he goes in spurts. Sam isn’t as much. The X-Pack were very vocal, too, with their little baby meows, and that was very cute! But I’m a conversationalist, so I like all animals to talk to me! Even my chinchilla I like to talk to, but she doesn’t talk back. I’m so bad, I taught my dog how to bark, and created a monster! Now we can’t get her to be quiet! And I wouldn’t have it any other way.


8. Of course with a topic like today’s I have to ask if you have visited the TCS descriptions of Cat Breeds (found by selecting the Cat Breeds tab above) and how many of the articles you have read?

I haven’t read many of those, since I have little interest in breeds. But I have read a few out of curiosity. For example, I’ve read the Maine Coon one because of Cronos and of course the Himalaya one that I just found on google for this KatKwery!


9. Whether you have read the Cat Breeds descriptions on TCS or elsewhere, have you also read descriptions about cats that are other than breeds which you own?

Since technically, the only “breed†I own is Evie, and is (I think) DSH, then yes, I have! Both the Maine Coon and the Himalaya and the few others I’ve read, mainly for fostering, are breeds that I don’t own!


10. About how many recognized separate breeds of cats (purebloods) do you think there are?

Other than too many?? I have no idea! I’d guess in the low hundreds… But who knows! So I looked it up, and I need to learn better how to do searches, because all I came up with was lists of cat breeds, not a number, and I am way too distractible to try to count all those! But it certainly didn’t look like it was in the hundreds. Maybe about 100, not sure.
post #3 of 18
2008 KatKwery Playoffs
Round 1 – Game 2

Topic: Cat Breeds

1. Can you say for sure what breeds or mixtures of breeds all of your cats are?

I know that both of mine are domestic shorthairs. They don’t have any specific breed in them, unless Kairi has a little Siamese in her, but that would have to be really a little. I’ve always wondered if she had a breed in her, because her eyes aren’t the normal cat eyes, in my opinion. All I know is they are definitely cute, and that’s all that matters to me.

2. Do you know the name of the leading registrar of cats in the world (the one with the most registered purebred cats)?

I honestly do not know that name of the leading registrar of cats. I do not really keep up with that sort of thing.

3. Do you know where the Himalayan cat originated? If not, would you care to hazard a guess?

I do not know where the Himalayan cat originated. At first guess, I would have to think Himalaya, but that’s got to be wrong. I think I’m going to have to cheat and look in the Cat Breed section to see where it came from. Wow, I would have never guessed that a Himalayan was a mix between a Siamese and a Persian. I guess I could see where the Persian came from, but I honestly wouldn’t have guessed that a Siamese was in that mix.

4. When you see Calico cats, do you think of them as a breed? Why or why not?

When I see a Calico cat, I do not think of them as a breed, not since joining TCS anyways. Probably when I was younger, I would’ve thought of a Calico cat as a breed, but not anymore. I know that it’s just a color pattern on certain cats. I think calicos are beautiful. My parents have a calico cat, who is adorable. I love her color patterns, with the mix of browns, whites, and blacks.

5. What are your honest feelings about buying expensive purebred cats as opposed to getting a moggy down at the animal shelter?

My honest feelings? I would rather adopt a cat from a shelter than buying an expensive purebred, but that’s just my feelings. There are plenty of cats in shelters that need loving homes, and I can’t justify spending hundreds of dollars on a certain cat that is purebred. I love the looks of certain purebred cats, such as bengals, maine coons, and ragdolls, but I really can’t see spending that kind of money when there are gorgeous, loving cats in shelters waiting to find a home. I know some people get joy from having a purebred cat, or have always wanted a purebred, but that’s their feelings on it. I would just feel bed that I’m spending a lot of money on a cat, when there are plenty of loving cats in shelters. I hope no one takes offense to this answer

6. Some people just call cats longhaired or shorthaired without further classification. When it comes to having longhaired or shorthaired cats, what are your preferences, and why?

I would rather have a shorthaired cat, but longhaired cats are gorgeous as well. I don’t have the time needed to groom a long haired cat, so a short haired one is the way to go for me. My cats shed a lot too, so if they were longhaired, we’d have a lot more shedding going on here. Once I have the time to groom a long haired cat like needed, I would love to get one.

7. If you look at cat breed descriptions, you will find some listed as very vocal and others as being quiet and reserved. Which of these do you prefer, or do you like a mixture?

I prefer a mixture of both. I would rather my cats be vocal during the day, when I am home and they want me to play with them or cuddle with them. But I would also like them to be quiet when it’s bedtime or when I don’t feel like playing with them. My cats are very vocal, especially around dinner time. They like to meow at me when it’s time for me to feed them and paw at the stove when I’m trying to spoon their food into their dishes. Kairi is also very vocal in the morning, when it’s time for my fiancé to get up. As soon as he’s awake, she up and meowing at him to pet her and love on her.

8. Of course with a topic like today’s I have to ask if you have visited the TCS descriptions of Cat Breeds (found by selecting the Cat Breeds tab above) and how many of the articles you have read?

I haven’t visited the Breed section as much as the Behavior section. I think I have visited it a few times, in order to get an answer for KatKwiz. I have also clicked on it and read a few articles while typing this, in order to learn more about the Cat Breeds I have been talking about in these questions. I have read about Himalayans, Ragdolls, Abyssinians, Maine Coons, and the Bengal. I love learning about the different breeds of cats and what makes them so unique in both their appearance and their behavior.

9. Whether you have read the Cat Breeds descriptions on TCS or elsewhere, have you also read descriptions about cats that are other than breeds which you own?

I have read descriptions on the Bengal cats and on Maine Coons. I have researched them because I think they are truly gorgeous cats and from seeing pictures on this site, I have wanted to learn more about them.

10. About how many recognized separate breeds of cats (purebloods) do you think there are?

I have no idea how many recognized cat breeds there are. I did a quick search and came up with numerous answers, some said 40, some said 70, so I don’t know who to believe. I would have wanted to say somewhere around the 100s, but I don’t know if that is right or not.
post #4 of 18
1. Can you say for sure what breeds or mixtures of breeds all of your cats are?
My girls are your average house cat, moggy or domestic shorthair (DHS) I know Rusty is a ginger tabby and Dusty is a Torbie, a cross between a tortoiseshell and tabby. Although the tech at the vet called her a tabico. I didn't understand why she would call her that since she does not have any white in her.

2. Do you know the name of the leading registrar of cats in the world (the one with the most registered purebred cats)?
The only one I am aware of is the Cat Fancier Association (CFA) I know there are others, but I don't know what they are.

3. Do you know where the Himalayan cat originated? If not, would you care to hazard a guess?
I have always thought that they were a cross between the Siamese and Persian. I had a mixed breed cat when I was growing up that had the long hair but Siamese markings. She looked similar to the Himalayan. She had the prettiest blue eyes I have ever seen! I always thought of her as a Himalayan. Her mama was a long hair pure black except for a white spot on her throat. I know that they were domestic long hairs (DLH) but they were beautiful.

4. When you see Calico cats, do you think of them as a breed? Why or why not?
I don't think of them as one particular breed since you have the calico markings across a lot of breeds. I have seen calico Persians and I have seen calico moggies. I know they are similar to the torties. They can't be a breed on their own since they are almost always female. Male calicoes are rare but unusually sterile.

5. What are your honest feelings about buying expensive purebred cats as opposed to getting a moggy down at the animal shelter?
I wouldn't want a purebred cat or dog, but that is my own personal feelings. There are so many homeless moggies out there that need homes. If I DID get a purebred though, I would get a Bengal. I love their markings.

6. Some people just call cats longhaired or shorthaired without further classification. When it comes to having longhaired or shorthaired cats, what are your preferences, and why?
I prefer shorthaired cats. I have had both and I have found that shorthaired cats shed less and don't have to be groomed, brushed and combed as much as longhaired cats. When I had kitties with longhair, I had more allergies from the fur or dander. I am mildly allergic to some cats and found that the kitties with shorthair do not trigger the allergy as much.

7. If you look at cat breed descriptions, you will find some listed as very vocal and others as being quiet and reserved. Which of these do you prefer, or do you like a mixture?
The black longhaired I had as a kid was very vocal, her daughter very quiet. I know that Siamese are very vocal also. I actually like a mixture between the two. With my girls, Rusty is the most vocal. Dusty has a quiet meow. I didn't even think she meowed until they were on their way to the veterinarian for their spays, Dusty suddenly found her voice to protest being in the carrier. She was just as loud as her sister! In fact, when we were taking them to the car, they actually woke up our next door neighbor! She thought her boy, Shadow, was talking at first! Since then Dusty has a sweet quiet meow. Rusty's is a bit louder. LOL

8. Of course with a topic like today’s I have to ask if you have visited the TCS descriptions of Cat Breeds (found by selecting the Cat Breeds tab above) and how many of the articles you have read?
I have checked them out on occasion. Basically when trying to find the answer to a KatKwiz and others to check out breeds that caught my eye. I haven't really read many of the articles though. I sometimes google particle breeds to read up on them.

9. Whether you have read the Cat Breeds descriptions on TCS or elsewhere, have you also read descriptions about cats that are other than breeds which you own?
All the time! I love cats and like to see all kinds. Like people, cats can come in all different sizes and colors. I know which breed would be a good fit for me and which breed would not be a good fit. While I love longhair kitties, they are not a good fit for me. For me, the best "breed" is the basic moggy, DSH and I have had all colors throughout my life. I even 2 part Manx ginger kitties when I was a girl. In fact, my two current girls are named after them! Rusty was a male with a 1 inch tail and Dusty was a female with a 1 inch tail with a "hook" at the end. I always thought the purebred Manx looked more like a rabbit though with their long back legs.

10. About how many recognized separate breeds of cats (purebloods) do you think there are?
I wouldn't want to hazard a guess but I know that there are a lot of them! Maybe a 100? 200? Maybe less than a hundred? I know some of them are crossbreeds, like the Himalayan, but others have been around for centuries. I really haven't any idea.
post #5 of 18
2008 KatKwery Playoffs
Round 1 – Game 2

Topic: Cat Breeds

1. Can you say for sure what breeds or mixtures of breeds all of your cats are? i can hazard a guess! Java has a very oriental body type and facial shape, even though she is a calico moggy. Pixel has the flattest face of my five, which would indicate a relationship to the Persian cat. she and Chip also have very heavy coats, considering that they're shorthaired cats. Chip's, in particular, is prone to matting [this is partly because he so dislikes being groomed!]. Java's coat is very thin, comparatively - she has the thinnest coat of my five. Cable and Firefox are sort of in the middle - very much like the American Shorthair. that breed arose from moggies, so it's not really surprising that so many moggies resemble it. however, neither of my tabbies has the cobby body of the ASH - they're more diminutive cats. Firefox is quite petite - i think due to her malnourishment as a kitten. Chip is quite large and muscular, plus a bit pudgy - his body type is extremely cobby - i would liken him to an Exotic Shorthair, except he doesn't have the flattened face that breed has. i also think it's likely he was neutered after he reached sexual maturity - he has that 'tom face' that's usually seen in full males.

2. Do you know the name of the leading registrar of cats in the world (the one with the most registered purebred cats)? The IPCBA (International Progressive Cat Breeders Alliance has 73 breeds that they recognize.

3. Do you know where the Himalayan cat originated? If not, would you care to hazard a guess? actually, yes. the Himalayan is an offshoot from the Persian cat line. so the coat and body types are very similar. the only difference should be coloration. this offshoot was achieved by breeding Siamese to Persians to attain the pointed pattern, then breeding selectively to retrieve the Persian type.

4. When you see Calico cats, do you think of them as a breed? Why or why not? no - Calico is a coat coloration and pattern, not a breed. that color/pattern shows up in almost all breeds - at least, all of those that have black and red cats in their bloodlines.

5. What are your honest feelings about buying expensive purebred cats as opposed to getting a moggy down at the animal shelter? all cats need homes. i have no issues with purchasing a cat [assuming i had the funds for it!] as opposed to adopting a moggy from a shelter. as long as the breeder is a reputable one, i don't have a problem, ethically, with buying a purebred cat.

6. Some people just call cats longhaired or shorthaired without further classification. When it comes to having longhaired or shorthaired cats, what are your preferences, and why? i really like the look of longhaired cats - especially the less extreme ones, like the Maine Coon, Norwegian Forest Cat, Angora, Siberian. but they're too much work for me - too much grooming, etc. for me to bother with. i just don't have the time to spare! so, while i like how beautiful the longhaired cats are, i'll most likely never choose to own one.

7. If you look at cat breed descriptions, you will find some listed as very vocal and others as being quiet and reserved. Which of these do you prefer, or do you like a mixture? i'd probably prefer a mixture - which, funnily enough, is what i've gotten, since mine are all moggies!

8. Of course with a topic like today’s I have to ask if you have visited the TCS descriptions of Cat Breeds (found by selecting the Cat Breeds tab above) and how many of the articles you have read? i don't think i've read any of those! i have many cat books, though, & have read about many of the breeds there. also have read about the 'newer' breeds online.

9. Whether you have read the Cat Breeds descriptions on TCS or elsewhere, have you also read descriptions about cats that are other than breeds which you own?yes - because i don't own any purebred cats - only moggies! i'd love to, someday, though - especially a Japanese Bobtail or a Bengal!

10. About how many recognized separate breeds of cats (purebloods) do you think there are? depends on which registry you're using... CFA [Cat Fancier's Association] only recognizes 41, but the IPCBA recognizes 73... TICA [The International Cat Association] is somewhere in between. CFA doesn't recognize the Savannah or the Bengal, for instance, because of the 'wild blood' admixture.
post #6 of 18
Okay, it has been a really long and busy day..we're painting our living room, and the color scheme is not working out, so I'm grumpy. It's late and I can't stay up and type any more, so I'm just not going to be able to answer all the questions. Here's hoping I got enough secret words, regardless!

Topic: Cat Breeds

1. Can you say for sure what breeds or mixtures of breeds all of your cats are? My cats are definitely one hundred percent alley cat! I really have no idea what breeds they have in their bloodline because their mother was a stray cat that “adopted†some friends of ours. So, we have no idea who the daddy was or any notion of his breeding. I guess if you wanted to be technical, you could call them domestic shorthairs, though. Whatever breed mix they are, there are some interesting variations in their genes because each one has a different hair length and unique eye color. Molly, of course, also has the color point gene, and everyone who meets her comments on how much she resembles a Siamese cat. I now know (thanks to TCS) that she does not have to be of Siamese lineage to have points, but that other breeds also have this coloring. But, all that said, she certainly does look a lot like a lynx point Siamese, complete with blue eyes and pale tabby markings on all her points. She is just a gorgeous little moggy!

2. Do you know the name of the leading registrar of cats in the world (the one with the most registered purebred cats)? I have no earthly clue on this one. I’m guessing you mean the person who owns the most purebred cats, rather than an association that registers purebreds? Either way, I really don’t pay much attention to breeds in the first place, so registration news and current events totally elude me. I did research this a little just now, and I found the names of a couple different organizations that register purebred cats. One is called the Traditional Cat Association. I have never heard of this organization before, but they claim to be pretty large. I had heard of the Cat Fancier’s Association, however, and know that to be a pretty popular group for pedigreed cat owners. They do claim on their website to be the largest registry of pedigree cats in the whole world, so maybe that’s who you are asking about?

3. Do you know where the Himalayan cat originated? If not, would you care to hazard a guess?
4. When you see Calico cats, do you think of them as a breed? Why or why not?
5. What are your honest feelings about buying expensive purebred cats as opposed to getting a moggy down at the animal shelter? I can understand why people want to purchase a specific breed of cat, just as many of us would prefer owning a certain type of dog, rather than a mutt. But for some unknown reason I don’t personally want a purebred cat. I am of the opinion that there are far too many unwanted kittens in the world, and I want to help curb that trend by rescuing the ones I can and preventing more kittens from being born and deserted. However, I believe that most cat breeders are responsible and do require those people who buy kittens from them not to breed them. I know a lot of people want certain characteristics possessed by the cat breed they favor, such as the coat length, fur color, personality traits, eye color and shape, energy level, and maintenance requirements. And if someone can afford the cost of purchasing a certified purebred cat, I see no reason to deny them that right, so long as they will be a loving, responsible cat owner!

6. Some people just call cats longhaired or shorthaired without further classification. When it comes to having longhaired or shorthaired cats, what are your preferences, and why? It’s funny you should ask this question today because I was just talking with my husband about this preference last night. We were looking at some pictures on TCS, and I commented on how glad I am that none of the kittens turned out to be a true longhair. I like to look at them, and I think they are beautiful cats, but I just don’t think I would enjoy having a cat with that much fur! I’m not even sure I can put my finger on the exact reason. Maybe they are too fluffy for me, or maybe it’s because all that fluff can make them look fat. I don’t know. I just know I’m happy with my cats having very short to medium coats. I actually used to think that medium haired cats were longhaired, but now I know they actually look a lot different. The cat I had growing up had a medium length coat, but we always called it long. Now that I have seen a lot more cats who are truly longhaired, I know she was not! Maggie has a lovely medium length tabby coat, and I am so pleased about that. It is so soft and cuddly, almost having a downy quality to it because of the thick, fluffy undercoat. Max has very short hair, shorter than I was expecting, but I love it on him. He is is so sleek and muscular looking, and the short hair really shows off his build. Then there is Molly, who is shorthaired, but not as much so as Max. I think she ended up somewhere in between Max and Maggie in fur length, even though her coloring is so unique.

7. If you look at cat breed descriptions, you will find some listed as very vocal and others as being quiet and reserved. Which of these do you prefer, or do you like a mixture?I tend to think a mixture is best. Growing up I had a cat who was somewhat quiet, although she liked to talk when she was hungry or wanting attention…and she liked to growl when she was upset about something. Our kittens now each have a different level of being talkative. Max is very vocal about everything, making wide range of sounds and vocalizations, from yowling to chirping. He talks to us almost constantly, unless he is sleeping. He even vocalizes when playing! I like to pretend to carry on conversations with him throughout the day, so I’m glad he likes to talk back! Molly is a little less vocal, although she has changed a lot in that sense since she was a baby. At first, I thought she was going to be one of those cats that never vocalized, but what was once only an occasional, almost silent, chirp has developed into a nice clear chirping mew. She still primarily only talks when she wants food or wants to go on a walk, but the point is, she likes to talk now much more than I ever dreamed! Maggie is actually the quietest one of the three, but she too, has her own voice in the house. When communicating with her siblings, this voice most often is a growl or complaining mew telling them to leave her alone. With me and my husband, she likes to tell us about a toy she has or ask if she can some sit on our laps. So cute!

8. Of course with a topic like today’s I have to ask if you have visited the TCS descriptions of Cat Breeds (found by selecting the Cat Breeds tab above) and how many of the articles you have read? Yes, I have clicked over to the Cat Breeds articles before. I am pretty sure I have read every single one of them…as a result of a KatKwiz question, I believe! Some of the breeds listed, such as the Ocicat, Norwegian Forest Cat and the Pixie Bob were new to me. I found the information there quite educational.

9. Whether you have read the Cat Breeds descriptions on TCS or elsewhere, have you also read descriptions about cats that are other than breeds which you own? Oh yes, I certainly have, since my cats are not purebred anyway. I find it interesting to learn random facts and trivia on a myriad of subjects, and cat breeds are no exception! It is fascinating to me that felines can have so many variations in coloration, coat, eye color and shape, even body structure. And yet, they are still all part of the same family! Of course, dog breeds seems to exhibit an even wider range of varying characteristics, but for some reason I accept that concept more readily since people have been breeding specific bloodlines in dogs for centuries, whereas, cat breeding seems to be more recent phenomenon.

10. About how many recognized separate breeds of cats (purebloods) do you think there are?
post #7 of 18
Persi & Alley, did you have any idea what you were getting yourselves into when you started this contest? I'll bet you're extremely happy to have a word search function on your computer.

1. Can you say for sure what breeds or mixtures of breeds all of your cats are?


Umm. Nope. Other than the generic domestic short-hair variety, I don’t think they are any particular breed. I’ve had several people tell me they think that Shareena must have some Siamese in her because of the shape of her ears, or her body type, or the shape of her face. Personally, I can’t see it. If there is a link, it must be pretty well diluted since I’m somewhat allergic to Siamese cats. After just a few minutes in a home with purebred Siamese I feel like my throat is clogged with tiny cat hairs. Also, nobody has ever said the same thing about Miss Patchwillow who happens to be Shareena’s full sister. At least, I call her a full sister because they’re littermates. I do realize that they could be half sisters if there were two different fathers. They are both gorgeous bicolor kitties, one black and white and the other grey (or blue) and white or possibly blue and cream, depending on how bright the light is when you are judging the light parts. Goldy, my little stray is a red (or orange) mackerel tabby. She’s a light shade of orange, but I’m not sure it’s pale enough to be considered buff. Anyway, all of those are colors, not breeds.

2. Do you know the name of the leading registrar of cats in the world (the one with the most registered purebred cats)?

Again, no. There was a thread recently in the Breeders Corner forum in which someone asked for an informal survey of where TCS cat owners had their cats registered. Most of the people who posted replies used abbreviations that didn’t really tell me much, since I have no idea what the initials stand for. According to that poll CFA and TICA are almost equal, although the sample size (22 votes) is far too small to make this a valid study. In reading other threads I noticed that a number of the TCS members have indicated that CFA is the oldest global registry and TICA is the fastest growing.

All right, I did a Google search and came up with a list of at least some of the registries.

“There are many of them but the biggest are Cat Fancier's Association (CFA), The International Cat Association (TICA), Britain 's Governing Council of the Cat Fancy (GCCF), Federation Internationale Feline (FIFé) and International Progressive Cat Breeders Alliance (IPCBA).â€
Is that more information than you wanted to know? You will note that this quotation says that CFA is the largest, so if you believe whoever wrote the article, that should also make it the leading registry. Unless you do not agree with the concept that “bigger is better.â€


3. Do you know where the Himalayan cat originated? If not, would you care to hazard a guess?

I don’t know for sure. Hazards (and guesses) can be dangerous. However, I’m feeling very brave and daring today, so my best guess would be they originated somewhere in the Himalayas.

On the other hand, BelongsToEvie jogged my memory with this quote from TCS,
“The Himalayan breed was started in 1930 by Dr. Clyde Keller, from The Harvard Medical School, and Virginia Cobb of Newton Cattery. They started out by breeding Siamese cats with Persian cats, trying to develop a long-haired, Persian-bodied cat with the color-points of the Siamese. They bred and crossbred until "Newton's Debutante" was born. This cat was the first cat recognized as beginning the Himalayan Breed.†Aha! Now I recall reading that at some point. It’s located under the “Cat Breeds†section of TCS.

4. When you see Calico cats, do you think of them as a breed? Why or why not?

It never occurred to me that Calico might be considered by some to be a breed. I always thought it was simply an irregular patchwork of different colors. Of course, that could be because I was familiar with calico as a type of fabric first before I was introduced to calico cats. (My mother sews a lot).

Since joining thecatsite.com I have learned that calico refers not only to the color pattern, but also to the specific colors that are involved--red, black, and white--if I remember correctly without going back to look it up.


5. What are your honest feelings about buying expensive purebred cats as opposed to getting a moggy down at the animal shelter?

I can think of a lot of things I would rather buy with that much money. For one thing, or many things, I could spend it on kitty food, cat trees, vaccinations, vet bills for spaying or neutering, etc. Besides, purebred cats have never particularly appealed to me. I want an ordinary house pet, not a show animal. Yes, I do realize that not everyone who owns a purebred cat wants to show. Many simply want a pet with the physical features or personality associated with a given breed.

You may have noted in my response above that I’ve spent a fair amount of time reading the posts from the Breeders Corner and Breeders Notice Board. Even though I don’t want a purebreed for myself, I’m fascinated by the variety that can be found in our feline friends. In addition, the breeders are some of the most interesting and informative people I’ve found on this site.

Having lived in Scotland for a time, I even recognize the word “moggy†(also spelled “moggieâ€). To me it means simply a cat; nondescript; nothing special; mutt, if you will. Although everybody knows that our cats are all exceptional no matter whether they’re pure something or Heinz 57 variety.


6. Some people just call cats longhaired or shorthaired without further classification. When it comes to having longhaired or shorthaired cats, what are your preferences, and why?

I definitely prefer shorthaired cats over longhaired. The main reason is that I love the sleek appearance of the short hair. I consider all three of mine to be shorthaired, with Shareena having the shortest hair. She’s my Egyptian Goddess. Still, even with slightly longer hair I don’t think the other two could be considered even medium haired cats. They’re just lovely, cuddly housecats. The kittens are still mostly fuzzy. No telling how they’ll turn out.

A second reason is that shorthairs don’t shed as much as longhairs. Make that, they don’t shed the same volume of hair as longhaired kitties. There may be just as many individual hairs laying around--I’ve never bothered to count them--but they certainly don’t make as deep of piles as the long hair.


That doesn’t mean I’d go to extremes and opt for a hairless cat. I enjoy petting all that soft, fluffy fur.

7. If you look at cat breed descriptions, you will find some listed as very vocal and others as being quiet and reserved. Which of these do you prefer, or do you like a mixture?

Another topic I had not thought about much. I’d say a mix would suit me best. I like my cats to talk to me and purr in my ear, but don’t necessarily want them yowling. So it’s probably a good thing that’s the way two of my cats are. Goldy is quieter. She purrs a lot, but otherwise rarely makes a sound unless she’s begging for food while I’m fixing my own meals. Then it’s just a soft little whine.

When I first got Miss Patchwillow I put her in the cat carrier for a 45 minute drive home. Talk about vocalization! I had no idea a cat could make so many different sounds, all at top volume. Once she got settled in the house and was feeling at home she calmed down. Now she usually makes only what I consider normal cat noises.


8. Of course with a topic like today’s I have to ask if you have visited the TCS descriptions of Cat Breeds (found by selecting the Cat Breeds tab above) and how many of the articles you have read?

Actually, I’ve read many of the articles on TCS about different recognized or recognizable breeds. In part I wanted to know what makes a certain breed special, and partly I was looking for descriptions of various breeds that have been mentioned in the forums here. I had to check the list to remind myself of exactly which ones I had already read, and clicked on a couple more links while I was there.

These are the articles I’ve at least opened, whether I read the entire article or not.

The Ocicat
The Exotic Shorthair
The Maine Coon Cat
The Sphynx Cat
The Siamese Cat
Scottish Fold Cats
Ragdoll Cats
Persian Cats
Himalayan Cats
British Shorthair Cats
Bengal Cats
Abyssinian Cats


9. Whether you have read the Cat Breeds descriptions on TCS or elsewhere, have you also read descriptions about cats that are other than breeds which you own?

Obviously, since I own only domestic shorthairs, anything I read describing purebreds must by definition be different from mine. I would also classify descriptions of DSH cats owned by others as “not the same breed†because naturally my kitties are all unique.

10. About how many recognized separate breeds of cats (purebloods) do you think there are?

Off the top of my head I would have estimated several dozen, but that’s sheer guesswork. So, back to Google. I located a list--most likely incomplete--of 71 distinct breeds. That does not include any sub-breeds. In addition, I believe that some breeders are constantly attempting to create new breeds which may or may not eventually be recognized by official organizations. Therefore, the number of separate breeds is not a fixed number.

I warned you I was going to write a novel this time. Anybody know a good publisher?
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
2008 KatKwery Playoffs
Round 1 – Game 2

Topic: Cat Breeds

1. Can you say for sure what breeds or mixtures of breeds all of your cats are?

Not a chance!! BooBoo is probably purebred something or another since his mother and father are his grandma and brother.... But you never can be sure of these things! Eek is a standard orange tabby, well, I think he is!! Im not positive on that one either! HoBoJax is a little more complicated, the vet said he was part angora or some weirdo name like that because of one of his illnesses he had when I rescued him! So I have no real purebreds about my house! They are all Moggys! Which is okay by me, if they were purebred and everyone on the planet would have wanted them I wouldn't of had to rescue them and they wouldn't of been the cats for me! I always think that its the ones that are unwanted that I should take home and always click better with!

2. Do you know the name of the leading registrar of cats in the world (the one with the most registered purebred cats)?

Why no, no I dont! I can't even think of a single place to register cats! Ive never had to do it! I would think something like the AKC or something but I dont know! I can't even say that I can pretend to even think that I thought of the right answer.... Ive never had to register one!!

3. Do you know where the Himalayan cat originated? If not, would you care to hazard a guess?

Ummm maybe the Himalaya's??? I mean, we are just guessing here so thats where I would EXPECT they come from, but I could be wrong... actually, its probably pretty certain that I am wrong!!

4. When you see Calico cats, do you think of them as a breed? Why or why not?

I do tend to think of Calico's as a breed of cat, although I know they're not a breed a cat! You cant breed a calico father because there are no male calico's running around here! I think male calico's are quite rare actually if even existant!

5. What are your honest feelings about buying expensive purebred cats as opposed to getting a moggy down at the animal shelter?

I know you have a purebred so I tend to try to keep my feelings about them my own... but since you asked! There is always someone out there willing to buy a purebred cat or dog, but its the ones that are truely desperate for home that have slim chances of getting a good home that attract me! I would rather save one that is at risk of being put to sleep the next day for not being special enough because they are some common mixed breed of cat that you see all the time that I want to help! I leave the purebreeds for who can afford them! I also think that I have a better opportunity to really do some good by taking special needs kitties and ones that are just down right not what most people are looking for! The humane society gets a purebred cat around here and there is a list a mile long of people who have been waiting for some case of a purebred cat coming in for some bad circumstances and those people on that list have first dibs! My Eek is a petstore kitty that was 3 weeks old and at the petshop with no mother, he couldn't even drink from a bowl on his own and someone had turned the babies over without the mama cat. His sibblings died because the lady told everyone that bought them that they were 7 weeks old, but they weren't. The vet said he was 3 weeks old MAX. My HoboJax was outside during the winter when he was a kitten without a mother, living underneath a disaster bus, the pads of his paws were frozen off! He still can't really jump up on things but thats what makes him special, when he comes scratching my legs up I know he needs to get up on something for one reason or another!



6. Some people just call cats longhaired or shorthaired without further classification. When it comes to having longhaired or shorthaired cats, what are your preferences, and why?

I love longhaired cats, I love the time you have to put into them breeding them, combing their fur, making sure its not matted! My cats are 2 shorthairs and one MEDIUM hair! Thats what the vet says, medium hair, the same with Glitch, he was a medium length hair, cats with short hair dont require as much daily grooming which is nice but like I said, I like putting the time in! I have special cat combs that I use to groom them even though for the most part they can groom themselves! BooBoo has one matt that he gets the begining of each spring from where he got too fat over the winter and cant reach to groom, after that one mat, he's fine! He loses a ton of weight during the nice weather of the year!
7. If you look at cat breed descriptions, you will find some listed as very vocal and others as being quiet and reserved. Which of these do you prefer, or do you like a mixture?

I want my cats to talk to me!! Have a conversation even if its make believe! I have fun talking to them! Unfortunatly Eek and HoBoJax dont talk to me like BooBoo does but me and him, we're buddies, we talk everyday for long periods of times, I ask him a question and hes like MEOW, and this goes back and fourth forever!

8. Of course with a topic like today’s I have to ask if you have visited the TCS descriptions of Cat Breeds (found by selecting the Cat Breeds tab above) and how many of the articles you have read?

I have visited there on several occasions! Normally due to some wild goose chase you have sent us on for the katkwiz! Its always really interesting to read what they have for information in there, and for that matter, what information they dont have in there!
9. Whether you have read the Cat Breeds descriptions on TCS or elsewhere, have you also read descriptions about cats that are other than breeds which you own?

For all I know my cats are a mix of several of those breeds! Ive read all the descriptions on there! Just so I know!

10. About how many recognized separate breeds of cats (purebloods) do you think there are?
Like maybe 50?? 10, 20 30 40 or 50, I wouldn't say there would be anymore than that right?? Unless we start putting the big cats in there and then the list could go into the 100's!

Its really late here, and Im sorry it took so long answering all of todays questions but my work schedule is hectic! My manager got called away to help move another store so since the assistance can't do payroll and such, Im stuck putting in overtime! Which I dont mind except missing the katkwery playoffs! Ive been waiting for months to get in on this and now that Im finally here it seems everything that can go wrong to get in my way has gone wrong! Whats next my internet will get shut off?? I shutter at the thought!!

Good luck everyone!! You're all doing just great!
post #9 of 18
Welp, the cord on my laptop has been chewed through! I have spliced it as much as I can and now it is hopeless and the batteries on it are now dead… Go figure. So here I sit at my home computer in the dining room, forcing my poor son to play and watch cartoons instead <gasp>. So don’t know if they’ll let me write a book today. Let’s see what we can do.

Quote:
1. Can you say for sure what breeds or mixtures of breeds all of your cats are?
No, my cats are all moggies or domestic longhairs (DLH). Actually they are mediumhair. Although my foster is a domestic shorthair (DSH). On a side note – tell me if this makes any sense… longhair and shorthair are considered one word and not misspellings, but mediumhair is not a word. Ha! Medium hair. Is that better? All the same, I actually think they should be hyphenated. Anyway, back to the task at hand…

Once upon a time, Mufasa, my RB baby, was from a litter of strays that a little boy was pulling around in a wagon somewhere through the neighborhood. When he stopped in front of my house, my husband seen this little mutt kitten with huge feet (the only one of all his littermates in the bunch); he made a count of his toes and snagged him up. Later that evening, the owners who owned the mom cat came looking for the kitten. I guess the little boy wasn’t supposed to give away the many-toed cat, but it was too late. Something I didn’t know back then, but his 6-toed condition had a name – called a Polydactyl. Sometime after he died I went casually browsing for cats online. It just so happens I seen a cat listed as a “polydactyl†(many toed) cat in a shelter and from there the search was on!

First came Willow, a pretty little Heinz-57, we adopted her from the Humane Society for my daughter’s birthday. I remember my kids wanted a kitty, but I put up a fit until I got my way. I argued that nobody ever wants the oldest cats, everyone always wants the extremely cute and cuddly kitties (but they forget they eventually grow up to be big cats). It’s not fair, few people want the adults if there are younger cats. The kids agreed and it was settled. We didn’t know it then, but she was pregnant. Certainly I consider that as the biggest, most ultimate BOGO fuzz-fest! That is the thing that brought me to TCS, to learn about what to do and what to expect with this mother and her impending tiny kitties. See what she started? I guess everybody knows there’s a reason for everything. I still recall all the members were so helpful and welcoming, while I went on and on with her saga. I recently read the posts I made about her back then in the Pregnant Cat forum. It’s funny to compare things from the clueless threads I started back then and to see all that I have learned to now. From being somewhat clueless to giving out my own advice on a topic.

Shortly after we got Willow friends of mine, who knew we had been looking for a polydactly, told me she knew someone who had poly kittens. My response was simple. We opened our heart to another lovely small pretty kitty.

I’ve often thought about getting a purebred cat, but so far have not been able to justify the cost when I know there are so many shelter cats out there on death row. Especially since I have started working in fostering and rescue. That still doesn’t stop me from looking. I probably could be tempted in a minute if I didn’t have kids and had money to spare. Myself, I love the long hair breeds. I’ve researched the Persian purebreds, the Siberian, Norwegian Forest Cats, the Maine Coon, the Ragamuffin/Ragdoll, Turkish Van and the Himalayan; I’ve also had a fondness for the Selkirk Rex, I love their curly fur. I’ve seen other breeds online and on TheCatSite message board that I thought were interesting, like the Abyssinian, Egyptian Mau and the Sphynx. I enjoy to visit the Cattery sites just to get a feel of the various breeds out there. There’s such a variety, I suppose that must be why I am so fascinated!

My hubby says I am going to turn into the crazy cat lady if I’m not careful. I asked him what that makes him…

If it wasn’t for the vet bills and vaccinations I’d otherwise probably have a half dozen cats. Actually I am getting pretty close, but mostly that’s actually one of the nice things about being a foster mom. The organizations pay for the care of the cats. It’s a win-win situation.

Quote:
2. Do you know the name of the leading registrar of cats in the world (the one with the most registered purebred cats)?
If I were to guess (without looking it up) my first thought would be the Cat Fancier’s Association (CFA), but I can’t be certain, and you know me, I will be looking it up and researching it.

Well, it turns out I was right. Directly from CFA’s website they quote, “Welcome to the Cat Fanciers' Association, the world's largest registry of pedigreed cats!â€. I also seen that TICA is the world’s largest genetic registry of purebred cats when I clicked on their website. TICA (The International Cat Association) also registers household cats and kittens, and allows them to compete for the same titles and regional and international awards as the pedigreed cats. So I guess it depends on the what you are looking for.

Before I looked it up today, I knew there are several different registries out there depending on what you are looking for. Particularly, I have seen polydactyls located with The Rare and Exotic Feline Registry (REFR). If you have an idea to create a new breed this is the registry to go to. There is also the Fédération Internationale Féline (FIFe) and American Cat Fanciers Association (ACFA). Then, according to wikipedia there are smaller national registries: Felis Britannica - UK member of FIFe and Governing Council of the Cat Fancy (GCCF) – UK. Sounds like there are enough registries out there to confuse anyone!

Quote:
3. Do you know where the Himalayan cat originated? If not, would you care to hazard a guess?
Well despite their name, I don’t think they came from the mountains in Asia. This is just a bit of guesswork, but perhaps the name came from the snow in the Himalayas and the color-points whiteish coat color. Who knows?

I don’t know where the name itself originated, but I do know some people refers to them as “Himmy†cats sometimes. The Americans call them Himalayans whereas the Europeans call them colorpoint/color point Persians. They were originally crossbred from the Siamese for their markings and blue eye color and the Persian for their coat-length and temperament. This cross shares the characteristics of both breeds. The CFA only recognizes this breed as a Persian, but TICA owns their own category for the Himalayan.

Which remind me. One of my most recent fosters had a color point kitten. I think I made a thread where I wrote about it somewhere. I posted about this white kitten, which I always wanted an all white cat, but then I noticed it changing when it was a few days old. I’ve been begging hubby to keep him as he’s the cutest little thing, but I’m worried about having two males in the house. Even if they are both neutered. Well the kitten isnt altered yet, but his day will come. I did notice that this kitten was bigger that the rest of the litter. I think I read about this in another post somewhere and I wondered if body size was relative to the colorpoints… I know the Persians and Himmies are known for their big head, but this is his whole body, he just generally is bigger than the rest and has been from the very beginning since the day he was born. I’ve been fostering for awhile and rarely see a color point cat, so I’ve used this as a valid selling point for DH Unless he wants to go out and buy me a real Himmy J

Quote:
4. When you see Calico cats, do you think of them as a breed? Why or why not?
Coming from a genetics freak, I know that the calico cat is not it’s own breed and is in fact a combination of three colors: red (orange), black and white (or the diluted version: cream/buff, gray and white. Because the red gene is a sex-linked gene, most all calicos are female. The one X-chromosome gets the red coloring and the other X-chromosome carries the black. The white coloring is actually a totally separate gene, known as the white spotting gene or the piebald gene. This gene is progressive, meaning if a cat is a carrier of more than one W-gene they will have more white. And if a cat with a lot of white is bred, to another cat with a lot of white, the offspring kittens will have even more white.

Sometimes a bicolor cat with only two colors, the red and black – minus the white, are mistakenly called calicoes when in fact they are Tortoiseshell or also known as Tortie. Tortie’s coats are speckled with orange and black. Usually cats without any white are more likely to have the fur intermingled more and the colors are in patches less. The white spotting gene is actually responsible for forming the distinguished patchwork of the calico or tri-color cat. The amount of white is relative to the definition of their patches. Torties that have tabby stripes running through it’s black fur are known as Tobies, a clever contraction of sorts of Tabby and Tortie. In order to classify as a torbie it’s the black color that must carry the tabby pattern.

If the white on a cat is only on it’s feet it is said to be mitted. If the white is under it’s throat or on it’s chest it is said to have a “locketâ€.

Quote:
5. What are your honest feelings about buying expensive purebred cats as opposed to getting a moggy down at the animal shelter?
Honestly? To each it’s own. I foster cats from our local no-kill shelter, so I know there are a lot of unwanted stray moggy cats out there just waiting for anybody to come rescue them, and more are made everyday! But, I also can see the benefits of buying a purebred cat from breeders. Good breeders breed to develop and better their specific breed. Same advantages you get when you buy a pedigree dog. Often when you purchase an animal from a breeder, you can be sure of what you are getting. They are breeding for particular characteristics. Not just their appearance regarding size or coat length and color, but also their temperament and disposition. Do you want a high-energy, active cat or a low-energy, peaceful, sedentary cat? How vocal do you want your cat to be? How much time will you spend with your cat? Some cats are more independent and others demand more time. Do you have children or a lot of visitors? Some cats are naturally more outgoing and tolerant than others. So when you adopt a cat from the shelter, it is often a guessing game on what type of cat your are getting, but in general, kittens that are raised by a breeder were bred for certain personalities and characteristics.

Quote:
6. Some people just call cats longhaired or shorthaired without further classification. When it comes to having longhaired or shorthaired cats, what are your preferences, and why?
Alright, I’m guilty of calling my cats longhair when in fact they are actually medium hair. It’s all relative actually. My cats fur is longer than a shorthaired cat, but shorter than say a Himalayan. I prefer a longhaired cat because they are beautiful and so soft and fluffy, but they shed a lot more, so that is definitely a downfall and a reason a lot of people like shorthair cats better. I don’t mind the shedding, I have 5 kids and a 100-pound long-haired Newf dog, so I vacuum piles of fur daily as it is. But sometimes when I am petting the cats and their fur is flying in my face… oh yeah, that’s not exactly desirable, and I imagine if you are allergic to cats, someone might rather have the shortest fur length or they may want a hairless breed. However, I have been reading an article about Siberians being “hypo-allergenicâ€. Seems like a great idea and concept if it’s true. I can see the possibilities – like the hybrid poodle breeds.

The maintenance of brushing your longer-haired cat is required more than that of a short-hair breed, but it depends on what you think it’s worth. Having fur stuck to your clothes is another down fall… but I find with my cats, if I brush them when their shedding is the highest, most of the time we’re ok. I’ve read the stuff you’ve posted about Persi, Lee, I agree with your preferences, but what about your why’s? I guess describing it isnt as easy as I first thought, it isnt easy telling someone or as easy to talk about, but really, I’ve been attempting to explain it. I ‘m not bothered by the hair, and I’ve had a couple shorthairs and they are pretty too. I’m definitely familiar with both. I’m slightly biased towards the longer haired breeds but most all cats are equal in purrrsonality, therefore I’m happy with both I guess. Having said that, there are extremes and each are unique in their own ways so it depends… I think I posted in one of the forums about a shorthaired foster that had the silkiest most smooth fur.

Quote:
7. If you look at cat breed descriptions, you will find some listed as very vocal and others as being quiet and reserved. Which of these do you prefer, or do you like a mixture?
Like I mentioned earlier, my cats are all mixed-breeds, so I drew straws when it came to the vocalization of my cats. It never occurred to me before that cats came with volume buttons I think I don’t really have a preference. I suppose a mixture of both is best. Obviously, I don’t want ones that are constantly crying for attention, but then again a cat that never meowed… I don’t know about that one. I think I like the singing of a cat. And of course I want to hear their purrs. Willow has a special twill that she makes. I have read that this is sometimes a characteristic of a Siberian cat. She is a long-haired cat, so she quite possibly could be one or a mix of one, but none the same, I love the sing-song sound she sings when she’s in the mood. There is nothing like the purrs of a cat. And really, no matter how quiet they make the cat, I don’t think it’s normal to not have a purr at all.

Quote:
8. Of course with a topic like today’s I have to ask if you have visited the TCS descriptions of Cat Breeds (found by selecting the Cat Breeds tab above) and how many of the articles you have read?
I should have known this question was coming. Of course I have visited the TCS breed descriptions. I almost went there earlier when I was contemplating the breed questions. You know I am there now though

I believe I have visited each and every one of those pages at one time or another, but more specifically, because I have a love for certain breeds, I have checked out the Maine Coon site, the Siberian Cat link, the Scottish Fold website, Ragdolls and the gorgeous short little Munchkin Cats. In addition, because I know people with Persians, Himmies and the Bengal, I have also read up on those breeds. I have to tell you though, I have a very curious personality, so I have read them all. Of course I have wondered what the Pixie Bob and Ocicat was about. You almost have to read the articles, besides how did I know if that breed would interest me if I didn’t at least check out the website briefly?

Quote:
9. Whether you have read the Cat Breeds descriptions on TCS or elsewhere, have you also read descriptions about cats that are other than breeds which you own?
Oops, I think I accidentally answered this one already. Yes, I have read about other breeds. Of course I own all mixed breeds, so anything is “other†to me. But I have read links about cats that I didn’t necessarily have an interest in. Like I said, if I know someone that has that breed, than I want to learn about what kind of cat it is.

Quote:
10. About how many recognized separate breeds of cats (purebloods) do you think there are?
Well, when I looked up the information about registries earlier, I didn’t have to look far, I found the answer to this one too, in fact it’s only a click away on FireFox’s other tab . The CFA currently recognizes 39 pedigreed breeds for showing in the Champion Class and 1 breed (the Ragamuffin) in the miscellaneous class.

Wikipedia lists 79 different breeds, which doesn’t include the American Polydactyl, which isnt an official breed yet, but because I realize this breed is trying to get recognized, I can assume there are other breeds out there that are also trying to get recognition that might not be included on this site. So maybe the number nears the 100 mark. Which surprises me, because I first would have estimated only around 50!.

TICA lists 54 different cat breeds in their registry, and they also let ordinary household pets compete and show in their ring. They judge housecats on beauty, personality, coat condition and their features (eyes, ears, nose, mouth, claws, etc) and also on balance and proportion. Personally I think judging someone’s pet would be pure torture. J How does one decide whether one is better than another? I’d be doing - Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe… that would be me They’re all top notch!

The Rare and Exotic Feline Registry was founded just over 20 years ago, and they are responsible for the development of new breeds of domestic and hybrid cats. They have over 270 catteries register with over 5900 cats. They recognize 119 breeds, which listed on their site for registration, including the cats from CFA and TICA and the Polydactyl cat is listed on this list, so I am assuming this list to be the most accurate.

PS – BelongsToEvie, I also typed mine up in Word to avoid crashes and losing my work. I have over 3000 words… I’m also sorry to whoever actually reads it!
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Whew, even with my word finder, it has taken me over two hours to check and double check. I have a chart with word usage that you can check me out on here.

Well, here are my results:

Marianjela 9, GoldyCat 8. Marianjela wins series 2-0 and advances to the Final Four.

BelongsToEvie 8, Laureen227 7. BelongsToEvie wins series 2-0 and advances to the Final Four.

Glitch 6, Catkiki 6. Glitch wins because of seed and wins series 2-0 and advances to the final four.

Yam102284 6, Cocoa Cream 5. The series is now tied at one apiece.

Please check my results with the chart in the link. Remember, words must match exactly to those in the chart. Plurality and tense.

The game posted tomorrow will be just for Yam102284 and Cocoa Cream to decide who the fourth player is in the Final Four.

The Final Four begins this Friday! So 3 of you can take it easy, you are IN. Just don't forget to come back on Friday!

Congratulations to our winners and thanks to all of you that have played!
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
Marianjela 9, GoldyCat 8. Marianjela wins series 2-0 and advances to the Final Four.
Congratulations, marianjela!
Now I can sit back and watch the fun. Maybe have time to finish writing my Great American Novel.
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyCat View Post
Congratulations, marianjela!
Now I can sit back and watch the fun. Maybe have time to finish writing my Great American Novel.
Thank you GoldCat-san :bows: You have been a most challenging adversary!

You rose from the ashes and kicked butt in this game at the end, I shudder to think what you would have done if you were here from the beginning.

...it was oh so close. Congratulations to you as well for making it as far as you did!

Good Luck Yam and C.C. and to everyone else - see ya on Friday.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyCat View Post
On the other hand, BelongsToEvie jogged my memory with this quote from TCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianjela View Post
PS – BelongsToEvie, I also typed mine up in Word to avoid crashes and losing my work. I have over 3000 words… I’m also sorry to whoever actually reads it!
Wow, I didn't think anyone would read that! Persi & Alley, isn't it good to know we are indeed reading what everyone writes, and therefore learning just as you intended?

Congratulations to all the winners!! I am totally amazed I made it! I thought I was scared before, now I'm shaking in my boots!

Laureen, you were a good challenge, and hope to see you next time around if Persi & Alley decide to do this again! I'll miss all those who aren't making it to the finals, and hope you will be watching and laughing at me. Hope you're cheering for the others, but I give you permission to laugh at me!

Persi & Alley, this is so much work!! Thanks for all your time! You must be excited we're getting near the end, too!
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie View Post
Wow, I didn't think anyone would read that! Persi & Alley, isn't it good to know we are indeed reading what everyone writes, and therefore learning just as you intended?
Thank you. If you take a look at the number of views the thread has, you will see that a lot of people are reading this. Well, at least looking at it. Perhaps when they see how long it is...but it was long for game one also, so I think if we compare the views for this thread with that of Friday's (when people found out how long it was), you will find that a lot of people are interested in seeing what all of you have to say! And it IS good reading!

Well, looks like I need to get back to work and come up with some questions and a topic for tomorrow since we have a tie we need to resolve before Friday!
post #15 of 18
I used CFA... but you didn't give me credit
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyCat View Post
Congratulations, marianjela!
Now I can sit back and watch the fun. Maybe have time to finish writing my Great American Novel.
same here - BTE good luck to all of you FF peeps!
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catkiki View Post
I used CFA... but you didn't give me credit
Yes you did! Looks like Ill see ya tomarrow!! At least as far as I can tell you used 7 words!
post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
Yes you did! Looks like Ill see ya tomarrow!! At least as far as I can tell you used 7 words!
This is the next morning and I just now see that you checked behind me as I asked for, but unfortunately you found an error. I have PMd both of you and hope I reach you before I post today's questions. If not, I will give an extension in time if needed. I am sorry I missed this, I did have eight books to read! Today's questions are fun and good luck to both of you and may you both forgive me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › KatKwery Playoffs - Round 1 - Game 2 - Oct. 6