How to get milk out of the trunk?

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys!
My parents gave me a very nice "new" car this weekend, due to an accident that happened a few weeks ago. Because we are in Canada (thanksgiving is next weekend), and I am a student (waaa! homework!!!) they brought down some ham and scalloped potatoes. Unfortunately when mom went to put the potatoes in the trunk, she poured some milk in there.
She mopped some of it up when it happened, and then I used some paper towels to get rid of some more. I noticed today that it was starting to smell though, so when I was getting some other stains out of the seats, I tried some spot shot in the back....no good. Now I have starting to rot milk and flower smell in my whole car!
When I got home today I tried rinsing the felt, but it did very little (although I did end up with a bucket full of very milky water in the end).
i can't take the felt out to soak it in the tub...it's bolted in. Any ideas? I think I might go down with some baking soda when I finish typing this and sprinkle some on...that might help!

Edit: ok, cornstarch, it appears i don't have baking soda...can you believe that?!?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take it to a car wash that has a shampooer, or borrow someone's shampooer. You may have to go over it a few times but it will eventually get it out. If you can, leave your trunk open for a bit and let the sun dry it + air out.

I suggest a car wash. If for any reason your car kills it (unlikely as that would be a heavy duty one) you won't have an annoyed friend/family member to deal with.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ It's better to get the milk out completely instead of just dumping baking soda on it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Car wash shampooer = $1-2 Why is everyone making it so complicated?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ I use to live in a town of 1200 people, even that town had a car wash. She already says she doesn't have baking soda, and most people don't keep Nature's Miracle or Resolve around the house - I sure don't. The baking soda is cheap, but the other two cost more than a couple dollars.

That and the only thing suggested that would actually get it out so far is the Resolve. I remember spilling chocolate milk in the back floorboard of my uncle's car as a child. It wasn't washed out very well and they (my parents) just tried to cover up the smell with baking soda... it came back as soon as the weather got hot because it was down in the carpet.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not part of the wash section. It's with the vacuum, and I've never seen a car wash without a vacuum.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What I would do...

Take a wrench and unbolt the felt. Take it out, clean it, and let it dry COMPLETELY before putting back in.

Ever see a rusted out trunk?? Any kind of liquid that doesn't dry completely will rust the metal out eventually. It doesn't matter how "new" your car is. Granted, it may be a few years, but holes will eventually show up if it is allowed to get wet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, you just scared me....so I went and looked (in the daylight). The "bolts" are actually plastic pins, which I can't figure out how I'd get out without snapping.
My boyfriends parents have a carpet cleaner. The cornstarch worked well too...so the plan is to vaccume up the last of the cornstarch and then get over to his parents house and clean it.

Fortunately the only parts that are wet are carpet and wood...unfortunately they're now stinky carpet and wood. *sigh*

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

well, you just scared me....so I went and looked (in the daylight). The "bolts" are actually plastic pins, which I can't figure out how I'd get out without snapping.
My boyfriends parents have a carpet cleaner. The cornstarch worked well too...so the plan is to vaccume up the last of the cornstarch and then get over to his parents house and clean it.

Fortunately the only parts that are wet are carpet and wood...unfortunately they're now stinky carpet and wood. *sigh*
Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. I've had the experience of trunks before. Those plastic pins should just pop out and then back in. If not, the dealer might let you have a few.

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only tool that I can think of to get those out that might be around your house would be the slotted side of a hammer-just like you were pulling out a nail.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Why is everyone making it so complicated?
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^ It's better to get the milk out completely instead of just dumping baking soda on it.
No one is making anything complicated?!. And naturally you get the milk out first before "sprinkling" the baking soda.

Leave it to dry, and that's when you sprinkle the baking soda to get rid of the smell. Sorted!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may want to have a professional carpet cleaner shampoo your carpet. It will cost more than the home remedies, but they deal with stains and odors on a regular basis. They should be able to take care of it without taking your car apart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so here's an update on the stinky car, just because I can't believe it:

Before I contacted you guys, I had tried:
Moping it up twice
Regular carpet cleaner (spot shot)
pouring clear water on it and ringing it out into a bucket (had very milky water)
corn starch to soak up the liquid

Since then:
My boyfriends dads carpet cleaner with carpet cleaner soap
fabreeze

Then I talked to a detailing guy, and he was able to remove the fabric piece from the car
He suggested putting it in the washing machine, so I did...extra extra extra large wash at the laundry mat with lots of soap.
Also used lysol on the wood underneath and the tire, etc remaining.
Did more fabreeze to the interior to get the smell out that had set into the chairs from being in the air.

Brought the fabric and the wood upstairs to dry under my fan on my drying rack.
Later that night added baking soda to both. Wait 2 days.
That cleaned up the wood! Now all I smell on it is orange lysol on it

The car still stinks
The mat still stinks

So....I got some "out!" because I've had better luck with it than natures miracle. I used it as a spray on the seats, and left the windows cracked. I just SOAKED the mat in it in the one spot and used my fingers till it foamed...like a shampoo for a mat. I am letting that dry on my drying rack.

After this, i am officially out of ideas. Dang milk!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a bathing suit that was covered in whipped cream (long story, but nothing any of you might be thinking!!!
) and it still smelled like rotten milk 2 years after the fact. SO, it went in the trash finally. Hope you have better luck with your car.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

After this, i am officially out of ideas.
Find a detail company with a money back guarantee if they can't get the smell out?