Nixie, the Love Bandit

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
One of our semi-feral rescues, Nixie, has turned into the Love Bandit. The other 3 in the litter are very affectionate, and like me, and tolerate DH. Nixie, however, usually hides (in the garage), and does not hang out very much with the humans (esp. DH, even though DH saved his life). We have no idea why Nixie is scared of humans--we did nothing mean to him, except to trap him like the others. We have had him for over 2 years now; he does let me touch him a bit in the kitchen (only), such as stroking his tail, but he is always ready to run.

Well, sometimes in the middle of the night, I am awakened by a certain Maine Coon cautiously climbing up my body. He will stay there until I move; then will run away, scared. It;s not easy to lie absolutely motionless!

Very early this morning, I awoke to find a certain Maine Coon snuggled beside me, in the crook of my right arm. I started petting him, and heard him purring. After about 45 minutes (!), I turned on my side--and he snuggled up to my back! All together, he was there about 1 hour! I think he only left the bed to greet one of his brothers, who I heard come into the bedroom. It was well worth losing an hour of sleep to know he does this!

I call him the Love Bandit (which he is now answering to--amazing how fast they learn a new name), as he reminds me of some crazy intruder, who breaks into women;s homes during the night, crawls into bed only to snuggle, not to assault them, then leaves!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww... that's soo sweet. I'm glad your patience with this boy paid off, and I hope that he'll continue to be demonstrative

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

Awwww... that's soo sweet. I'm glad your patience with this boy paid off, and I hope that he'll continue to be demonstrative
Thanks! I have not had a repeat, but then again, I have been sleeping like a log the past 2 nights. I don*t think he will ever be a lap cat, but he has improved very slowly. There are times when I almost think I could pick him up, but then I think twice about it. I do not want to traumatize him when we have come so far. He is the only pet I have ever had that I can*t pick up and hold, and it is frustrating! I bet he is so soft and silky. He is GORGEOUS. (Sadly, he is FeLV+, too, but seems very healthy so far, considering that I seldom can catch him to take him to the vet--she now will make house calls, for a huge extra fee, 1 day per week, so I think we may do that.)

I wish I knew what scared him so much. When DH trapped him, poor Nixie messed himself in fear, and came to me covered in his own messes, and smelled horrible. Out of the litter of 4, he was the only one that was really terrified of people. I think someone else had previously scared him, not so much us.