What kind of nail clippers?

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone,

I have been using an ordinary nail clipper for my furries. I notice that the nails are ragged and split afterwards.

I've heard about a guillotine cutter that proports not to do this. Does anyone know of a clipper that gives a clean cut? (My cats will not tolerate filing).

Thanks so much!

Seaturtle

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Gripsoft Medium Deluxe Clippers

I think with ordinary human clippers you need to do them at an angle so they don't split.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I use Gripsoft Medium Deluxe Clippers

I think with ordinary human clippers you need to do them at an angle so they don't split.
I use a very similar type. Mine are staring to split tehir nails too. You just need to replace them every so often I suppose. my trimmers over a year old, and spilt something sticky on them, oops! so they dont cut very smoothly, but there is no awful noticeable cutting or pain in my cats. maybe it is your cats nails?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just use human nail clippers but cut sideways rather than from top to bottom. I find the top to bottom cuts tend to be ragged and uneven whereas if you cut from side to side the cut is much cleaner.

dave_l

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have these, which are probably the same as *Pepper*'s: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752768. They seem to do a decent job.

Yosemite: I read somewhere that you're not supposed to cut sideways, since that's more likely to splinter the nail. But I'm only a novice at kitty nail trimming.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dave_L

I have these, which are probably the same as *Pepper*'s: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752768. They seem to do a decent job.

Yosemite: I read somewhere that you're not supposed to cut sideways, since that's more likely to splinter the nail. But I'm only a novice at kitty nail trimming.
I've been doing it for years and have had no issues. In fact, cutting from top to bottom has caused more splits and ragged edges than a quick side-to-side cut for me at any rate.

I can't manipulate the specific pet clippers as well as the human ones so feel my cats nails are in less danger if I don't use the pet clippers.

simpleblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have to cut their nails? Maybe a silly question, but I'm not sure and I wanted thoughts on it.

I ask because Amy hasn't had any scratching issues. Would not clipping the nails be a bother for her in any way?

Currently I have this type of nail clipper. I bough mine used for a dollar at the shelter.

dave_l

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If there's no scratching (objects, people, other animals, herself) issue, the only potential problems I can think of are:

Sometimes nails can grow enough that they cut into the paw. I would at least check the nails periodically to make sure that doesn't occur.

She might get her paw caught on something and not be able to free herself. But that could happen even with trimmed nails.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DreamingRecover

Do you have to cut their nails? Maybe a silly question, but I'm not sure and I wanted thoughts on it.

I ask because Amy hasn't had any scratching issues. Would not clipping the nails be a bother for her in any way?

Currently I have this type of nail clipper. I bough mine used for a dollar at the shelter.
Honestly, Cotton's the first cat I've ever had where it's an issue. His claw curl under and cut into his paws if we don't keep them trimmed. Freya seems to take care of her own claws.

If there's no scratching problem and no physical need, I don't really see a problem with not clipping thme.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DreamingRecover

I do it for their safety more than anything else. Bijou has had his claw caught in one of John's speaker cabinets - the mesh is metal and not cloth so he nail caught and he couldn't get it out without help.

As another poster said, sometimes the claw can grow right into the paw so an eye should be kept on that as well. Bijou loves to knead me so I prefer his claws to be short so I don't end up looking like something from Elm Street.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Bijou loves to knead me so I prefer his claws to be short so I don't end up looking like something from Elm Street.
same here, w/Cable. she was kneading my arm tonight - i quickly realized she needed a clipping

i prefer the scissors-type clippers to the guillotine ones - i find them easier to use.