He hissed at me...!

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
George and I were playing hard yesterday - with his favorite toy, the feather on a stick. He was flopping around, diving under his little rug. His was on his back, batting around the feather when this never heard before sound came out of him. I couldn't help but laugh!!
In the year and a half that I've had him (he's 6) he's never hissed! It was kind of a combination of a heavy sigh and a hiss...I had no idea what it really was and he kept on playing like usual. I've been waiting for a hiss to come out of him, just didn't expect it to be while he was having fun

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How funny! Do you think it's possible that he hissed by mistake?

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought one of the same toys years ago and my oldest cat gets so worked up, I've had to lock it away. The normally calm Rocky will growl and hiss like he's protecting a "kill" he's just made.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried to get him to do it again this afternoon with no luck. He did give me a heavy sigh tho

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I HAD a toy like that for Flower and Figaro, but the feather part broke off and Flower took off with it. When I tried to get it back she hissed at me and ran under are bed
I found what was left of it a few days ago
To me it seamed like she was also protection her "kill". She hissed at the pup and kitten when they came near her also.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had Kitty for a whole year before getting Holly. In that time she never hissed, we didnt even think she could

Well let me tell you she can, and does so very often! It seems to not be threatening since she does it so often towards Holly. So my opinion is that a hiss is not very important unless the cat is doing it towards you very specifiaclly.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by j fred muggs

yeah like a misfire......a hisfire

That's hilarious!! There's no mistaking a hiss for a sigh. One way you might be able to tell the difference if you've never heard a cat hiss: a hiss is always open-mouthed. I've never seen a cat sigh with an open mouth; though though I suppose it could be. A hiss will get your attention; that's what it's designed to do. I suspect in this case it was more likely a sigh.