3 yrear old Calico cat scoots on floor/rugs

chanelle3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi: I am having an issue with my cat.. She will not clean herself.. She is on the obese side.. but ever since I have had her (I got her at a year old) she will not clean her bottom but chooses to wipe her rear on my floors and rugs.. Real problem..I do not over feed her and she has plenty of water... Took her to groomer to cut off hair in that area hoping that would help.. It does but are still clinkers and of course does not stopping scooting (lifting hind legs and sliding her bum on floor)

Anyone have any ideas?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have a vet check her anal glands - that may be what the problem is. Then work on getting some weight off. Also if she's a longhair cat, you need to be combing her several times a week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chanelle3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply..however anal glands have been done.. Is it possible this is just part of her personality and that I just have to live with it..She has been checked by vet and is regularly checked..
I have had cats prior to her but they were outdoor cats, did their business in litter box and cleaned themselves..

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not a normal thing cats do. When was the last time she was checked? Also has she been checked for worms - they sometimes do it when they have worms.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This not only can be a sign of allergies, but constipation or irregularity. Does your kitty eat house plants or chew on other things like wood, rope, ingest string or plastic items?

chanelle3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Chey: no allergies no anything.. she does not eat anything but her food..Plants I have none in the house as she will get into them... Did try when I first had her...
She was at vet in September, anal glands done etc.. tested for worms too..nothing.. Vet said it could just be part of her personality.. I just find it so hard.. She is a lovely cat.. Not the most affectionate... Would love to be a gourmand if she had her way. Very rarely has a hairball that she brings up..
I don't want to get rid of her as I am sure no one would tolerate what I tolerate from her and still love her although at 65 I would like to be able to have carpets on the floor..and not have to wipe down the floors that she does it on every day..
I have never heard of a cat doing this either...

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Chanelle3

Hi Chey: no allergies no anything.. she does not eat anything but her food..Plants I have none in the house as she will get into them... Did try when I first had her...
She was at vet in September, anal glands done etc.. tested for worms too..nothing.. Vet said it could just be part of her personality.. I just find it so hard.. She is a lovely cat.. Not the most affectionate... Would love to be a gourmand if she had her way. Very rarely has a hairball that she brings up..
I don't want to get rid of her as I am sure no one would tolerate what I tolerate from her and still love her although at 65 I would like to be able to have carpets on the floor..and not have to wipe down the floors that she does it on every day..
I have never heard of a cat doing this either...
I totally understand where you are coming from! Although I have not experienced it myself, I have heard of cats doing this though usually due to some physical discomfort such as constipation, worms, allergies.......
You did mention she is on the obese side, this can definitely hinder physical mobility. Also her diet may be causing loose or dry stool causing irritation. Generally cats shouldn't have to clean themselves after every potty. I hope something here or someone can help solve your dilemma!

ewa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats did that for the first year of her life, but she learned it from my ferrets. She eventually stopped doing it on her own, and now she cleans herself like normal. There was nothing wrong with my cat either, no worms, no runs, no nothing. Maybe before you got your cat it was a behavior she picked up from another cat or different animal. My two youngest cats also steal and hide strange items around the house where the ferrets used to.

My one obese cat doesn't clean herself either but she just waits and her sister does it for her. If you are home when she heads to the litterbox wait till she comes out and clean her up before she can wipe on the rug. Thats all I can think of if there is nothing wrong with her physically.

chanelle3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all your replies.. I think it is something I will have to live with...
I do have baby wipes unscented that I use if she is really bad but that scoot is something she just seems to have to do..but it is hard to wipe her.. she won't stand or sit still.. I watch her trying to clean her bottom she cannot even see it from sitting position trying to clean herself..

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You may want to experiment with your kitty's food.
My female cat use to scoot all the time.
I have been switching around her wet and dry food, trying different
brands. At the moment, we feed wellness, Nutro max and wellness core
( I mix all 3 together just 1/4 Cup per day)
plus wet, fancy feast, nutro, meow mix new one, wellness..
I was just noticing recently I have not seen her scoot
for months now.