Oozing from scrotum after neuter - please help!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had 2 feral boys get neutered yesterday morning. One of them is completely fine, so I just released him, and he ran off happily. The other seemed a little more sluggish, and I just moved him from one end of the trap to the other to remove the little litter box so I could put the trap in the car to release him, and noticed blood in the trap and in his litter tray.

It was fresh, thick, oozy blood, in about 2 or 3 spots. The other kitty was in a bigger recovery cage, so I released him, and moved this boy into the bigger cage, with just shredded paper towel in the litter tray.

I called the Emergency Clinic, and they said since he was feral I couldn't do much, and if it was bleeding tomorrow still to take him back to where I had him done.

Has anyone had bleeding after a neuter? Is it a sign of infection, or has he just irritated it? I think he was fussing in the trap which was big enough to move in, but space was relatively tight, so I'm not sure if he just banged his bits.

Any advice would be appreciated!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooo sweetie, once again, I don't know. We've worked out a deal with our vet for our ferals, we don't work with a rescue, and they keep our kitties in cages there with vet tech supervision and care until we release them. The males, usually the next day - so never had this problem. Being worry-warts, we'd take him back so someone who knows what they're doing could examine him.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll certainly be giving the shelter a call tomorrow to see what they say. I just hope it's a "it's not much blood, he just irritated it, give him another day or two and he'll be fine" thing, not a "he needs antibiotics which is impossible, and the area cleaned which is impossible" thing.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have had 3 boys neutered and never had a bleeding problem. the vet has always told me to bring them back if there was any though.

you're doing all the right things asking for advice and i send you that it is ok and won't need further treatment. cleaning that area on a pet cat is not good at that time let alone a feral!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd get him to the vet to have a look. Sounds like the stitches may have broke or he got in a fight after the neuter. I've had many males neutered and non had any bleeding problems.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I'd get him to the vet to have a look. Sounds like the stitches may have broke or he got in a fight after the neuter. I've had many males neutered and non had any bleeding problems.
Thanks, I will. They don't get stitches, but I do remember them saying them I picked them up that both boys did well, and neither had any bleeding at the time after surgery. He couldn't have gotten into a fight because he's been confined to the trap since he came out of surgery.

4 hours until I can ring

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Hope he's ok. If he's by himself, could he have done the damage?
Possibly - he's been in a trap (but is now in the bigger recovery cage that the released kitty was in), so maybe he did it while turning around

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just checked on him, and there's been no more oozing overnight - whew! He has been pulling the sheet covering his cage into the cage, and eating it though
He may have just torn a hole through it, but it looks as though there's a chunk missing.

He's also completely torn up his cage again, flipped over his water, and had covered up his food with the towel in the cage so he couldn't find it. Does he not know he's at Chateau de Sarahp - the finest short stay feral hotel in all of California?

He did pee and poop in his litter tray though which is good.

It's raining here, but I think I'll release him tonight. I'm worried he's going to do himself more damage here in the cage than back at the colony. Where they hang about is super quiet over the weekends, so I want him settled in before everyone comes back to work.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad things look OK this morning.
And I agree - sounds like a good plan to release him. Had a couple of doozies on your hands!

that all continues to go well and you're comfortable letting him go!

Laurie

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had a neutered cat bleed after the procedure.

This little guy is obviously stressed (which can't be avoided in this circumstance, unfortunately) given what he's done to his cage, but I would not release him until I'd spoken to the vet about the bleeding. It's better for the kitty to be uncomfortable for a few more hours, than to let him go and realize that he did, in fact, have a complication of some kind.

See "What should I watch for after the surgery?" in the following article:

www.y2spay.org/FelineNeut2.htm

Hope he turns out to be fine.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I spoke to the vet, and he said that some oozing in the 24 hours isn't too worrying, especially given the circumstances, it's only after the first 24 hours if there's significant blood that they'd be worried. He said since there's been no more blood since, and he's been acting fine today, that it would be fine to release him tonight, so that's what we'll do.

Thanks again everyone!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just released him, and he ran off into the night without even a second glance back. Awww

He ate a good dinner before I released him which is good.