Needed: the opinions of my cat loving friends

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First some history......we've been doing business here at the bakery since April of 2005. Sometime in early 2006, we acquired a cat, a sweet, gray, DSH, neutered male....we call him "Sam" or "Samwise"......I called him that one day and he answered to it, so we assumed that someone, somewhere had called him that at some point. Nobody around here claims him, yet he mooches off anyone who will let him.....including my husband who will let him in the dining area each morning and feed him (we use it for storage since we're not open to the public). Sometimes he goes right back out, and sometimes he hides away for a nap.....sometimes he's mousing, lol! He usually isn't far from here at any given point in the day or night....if we drive up, within seconds most of the time there's a Samcat wanting love at your feet.

Soo......if things don't pick up around here, and I mean a LOT, as of November1, 2008, we'll be closing the bakery down and both of us looking for jobs. We only live about two miles from here......would it be wrong to take Sam home and intro him to our cats? I know in my heart that he'll never be happy as an inside only cat, but I'm far enough off the road that it's not an issue....and he's car-shy anyway.........Hub is very much attached to him, and truthfully, I am too.....

If you were me, what would you guys do?

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would have to keep him , if of course he hasent been claimed. Make sure he has a health check.. you dont want him to pass anything bad to your current kitties aye

Others may disagree but i would keep the little fuzzbutt and he might surprise you by loving being a indoor cat because maybe he hasent had to much of a indoor life , but he is neutured , which makes me think maybe he has been truley lost of they moved or he went to far and lost his way ,

Ok why dont you put some leaflets up if no one claims keep him
thats fair enough , better then him being put in a pound or some thing
Jess x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol, we've tried for just over two years and nobody claims him....we live just down the road from a large State park, lake, RV parking area....figure somone stopped, he got out and they didn't know when or where. He's never been abused or anything, and we know that at some point he was loved.....now he is still loved, just by new folks (ok, so he saw a soft touch lol!)

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
if you guys have looked for his owner for two years and havent found anyone, I would take him home today. I agree, he may LOVE being inside, too.
Keep us updated!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

if you guys have looked for his owner for two years and havent found anyone, I would take him home today. I agree, he may LOVE being inside, too.
Keep us updated!
If your efforts over two years have not produced his former family, I doubt anything else will. You're it.
It's clear that he's comfortable with you, now it's just the fur people to convince.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKrazy

would it be wrong to take Sam home and intro him to our cats? I know in my heart that he'll never be happy as an inside only cat, but I'm far enough off the road that it's not an issue....and he's car-shy anyway.........Hub is very much attached to him, and truthfully, I am too.....

If you were me, what would you guys do?
I would take him home
He's obviously bonded with the both of you and comes to the bakery knowing there will be food and some love coming his way.

I hope business picks up for you!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

He's already your cat!

That's the way I felt about Salem.
Her so-called "real" owners weren't taking care of her, and she was living here most of the time, anyway. So I had no problems taking her in. And she adjusted nicely to being an indoor cat.

Have the vet check him over to make sure he's disease free, and if he doesn't adjust to being an indoor cat, maybe you could fix him up a nice place in a garage or shed.

I hope you both are able to find good jobs soon, too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys.....have to admit that I really intended to take him home all along.....I guess I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't nuts for wanting to!

I really don't worry about him giving my kits anything, if anything at all, if I don't get him up to date on his shots, I'd worry more about one of my FeLv+ kitties passing it on to him accidentally. I do worry a bit about introductions, because he "met" my kits one night when we had tornado warnings and I had three carriers full of cats shoved in the bathrooms at the bakery.......but then, they were on his territory at the time.

Thanks for the "work" vibes........that's a whole thread of its own, lol!