Leash-training update

purrrplej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had posted awhile back that I was intending to try to leash-train my cat, Murray. So far we are making some progress. I had ordered a walking jacket, and the first one I ordered was too small, but I returned it and got the extra-large size, and that one fits Murray great. I've tried the jacket on Murray for the past several days, for just a few minutes at a time, and he seems to be getting a little more comfortable with it, though it still feels a little strange (instead of walking normally with it on, he sort of "slinks" around). If he doesn't seem completely comfortable with it several weeks from now, I will return it. But hopefully his comfort level will continue to grow, and once he is used to the jacket I will try it with the leash, and once he is used to the leash I will try holding the leash and see what happens. Slowly but surely...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrrplej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ~*Regina*~

I just bought one of those walking jackets too
. I hope it works out.
Thanks! Best of luck to you, too!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holly does the slinking around in the harness thing too. After awhile, if I play with her while she is wearing it, she gets more normal. We are not even close to going out side on a leash though! Good luck to us all.

purrrplej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowers

Holly does the slinking around in the harness thing too. After awhile, if I play with her while she is wearing it, she gets more normal. We are not even close to going out side on a leash though! Good luck to us all.
Well, Murray has decided that when I put the jacket on him he is going to just lie down and not move till I take it off. That pretty much defeats the purpose. So I may just give up on leash training. Oh well, at least he seems happy as an indoor kitty.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What kind of harness is on him? If it is heavy, or bulky, most cats will do just what you have said...stay in one spot till it is gone.

I have really light weight nylon harnesses for my kitties, and everyone moves, plays, and runs around crazy as if they weren't wearing them. Out of five kitties, however, only one will actually walk while a leash is on...we get lots of strange looks when my "Teefah" and I are out for a walk. It's worth the smiles...

catnips

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am running a section on my web site about harness training and wondered if anyone has managed it and if so would they care to contribute how they did it along with some photo's?

I managed it with my 2 kittens so you can read about it on the site below.

The web site is http://www.catnips.co.uk and the actual page is http://www.catnips.co.uk/CAT-BEHAVOUR.html

Look forward to hearing from you.

purrrplej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

What kind of harness is on him? If it is heavy, or bulky, most cats will do just what you have said...stay in one spot till it is gone.

I have really light weight nylon harnesses for my kitties, and everyone moves, plays, and runs around crazy as if they weren't wearing them. Out of five kitties, however, only one will actually walk while a leash is on...we get lots of strange looks when my "Teefah" and I are out for a walk. It's worth the smiles...
The harness is a light walking jacket. There is no reason for him to not move with it on. Oh well.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by purrrplej

Well, Murray has decided that when I put the jacket on him he is going to just lie down and not move till I take it off.
I think the jackets are too restrictive as they cover a lot of the cat.

I never did any training with mine, just put the harnesses on and took them right outside, soon as they got out there they were too busy exploring to worry about the harness.

purrrplej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I never did any training with mine, just put the harnesses on and took them right outside, soon as they got out there they were too busy exploring to worry about the harness.
They do cover a lot of the cat, but they don't fit extremely tightly, so there shouldn't be any reason why the cat can't move comfortably with them on. But my little boy is just stubborn, I guess! :-)

I couldn't use a standard cat harness because Murray is too big. He's a very big-boned boy.

I tried once taking him out on a leash attached to his collar (back when he was wearing a collar, before he started scratching at it and causing scabs on his neck, so I took it off), and he wouldn't cooperate, wouldn't move, just sat there and wouldn't budge.

So I guess he is just not meant to be leash-trained!

herbalheidi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

The harness is a light walking jacket. There is no reason for him to not move with it on. Oh well.
I had a cat when I was younger that wouldn't even allow a collar. If you put anything on her she just played dead. We were desperate to get her to wear something after we moved, so my mom left it on her for hours and tried to engage her. After awhile she started howling, yes howling - there's no way you could describe the sound as a meow.

We gave up and made her an indoor cat.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Ditto to this...I have seen the kitty jacket harness things, and I would think 'most' cats would find them to be too much area covered...some might not care, but I think a majority might not like the whole chest area covered like that.

My kitties all enjoy going outdoors on their harnesses, but only one will actually walk on the lead.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I couldn't use a standard cat harness because Murray is too big. He's a very big-boned boy.
Mine all wear dog harnesses (Roman style), Ana wears a small size and the boys wear medium.

baelfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally use a combination to prevent slipouts.

I use the roman harness that a lot of people recommend as well as a step in harness. I find the dual combination prevents my cats from escaping even when pulling back since the two are different styles.

Still trying to get my bengal to walk on lead T__T. Sometimes he'll do it othertimes no. sigh

tweets_4611

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is awesome! I've been putting a harness on my kitten since he was really tiny (it didn't actually fit at all at first) and have started taking him outside a bit. He tends to object when I won't let him go somewhere (over the ledge of the apt. stairs) by pulling, then laying down when the lead is pulled as tight as it will go. :p

tweets_4611

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is awesome! I have put a harness on my kitten almost from the get go. I always thought it would be neat to be able to take my baby outside safely. I have taken him out a few times now (getting the harness on is a fight though...) and he really seems to like it. Although, he isn't fond of being told where not to go. If I won't allow him to go somewhere, he will get as close as I will let him, pull the lead as tight as he can, and just lay down. :p Lil brat....