question about keeping cats in area...

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought the cats are staying in this 2nd yard and then Ive seen 2 cross the street in the last couple of days and a couple hanging out in the 1st yard Im trying to keep them out of.

I know they are cats and dont understand my plan
- but can I use that spray that I read about (of course cant remember where or what its called) that will keep cats out of areas - based on the smell???

I would want to spray the 1st yard and along the property line by the street. Would this work? Is it a good idea???

PS.... I trapped 2 kittens this week - not old enough to adopt but old enough to be neutered!!! 2 males - i love getting the males cause i know how much more males contribute to the population of feral cats!!

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Others with more experience can help, but this is what I have done. I bought a large container of ground black pepper and sprinkeled it in the area I was trying to keep ferals from entering. I had no cats move in but not sure if it was the pepper. There is a homemade recipe for a natural repellant that uses pepper of some variety. I will see if I saved it.

I considered going to a hunting supply store and getting some "coyote urine" to put around the area to keep them away. They sell bottles of sinthetic urine scent used by hunters.

That's what I did when I moved a colony before construction started.

I think once they are spayed/neutered they will be less likely to roam if there is a steady food source.

You are doing an amazing thing for these cats. Hang in there and good luck.

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by m935

I thought the cats are staying in this 2nd yard and then Ive seen 2 cross the street in the last couple of days and a couple hanging out in the 1st yard Im trying to keep them out of.

I know they are cats and dont understand my plan
- but can I use that spray that I read about (of course cant remember where or what its called) that will keep cats out of areas - based on the smell???

I would want to spray the 1st yard and along the property line by the street. Would this work? Is it a good idea???

PS.... I trapped 2 kittens this week - not old enough to adopt but old enough to be neutered!!! 2 males - i love getting the males cause i know how much more males contribute to the population of feral cats!!
Cats are safer indoors.
I had a cat hit by a car and didn't survive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the helpful advice Skimble. Would pepper found in a shaker be sufficient??? Or is ground black pepper the thicker kind? (im not a cook)

The coyote pee.... not so sure.

no offense Judi - but i dont know why you would write that - are u on the wrong forum???????

any other USEFUL ideas are welcome - i really need to keep them moving in the right direction - not going backwards.

THANKS!!!!

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I bought a very large container of ground black pepper at Sam's Wholesale Club. And yes, it is exactly like the shaker. I just shook it all around the area I did not want any feral cats returning to. Hope it helps.

edit: found natural recipe to keep cats away. Will not hurt enviroment/animals.

5 tbsp plain flour
4 tbsp powdered mustard
3 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp chili powder
2 qts warm water

Mix well and sprinkle around areas you want them to stay out of.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU

I will try the pepper tomorrow - when there arent many neighbors around to wonder what Im doing.

So if i dont want them in a certain yard - i should use the pepper on the edges of the property?
How often do I need to do this - what about rain???

THANKS again - hopefully this will work. If not - ill try your recipe.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not sure how frequent the ground black pepper needs to be used. I think I used it once a week for a few weeks.

I was in a situation where construction was starting at a feral colony site. I rescued all and then was desperate to keep the feral visitors away.

Some of the garden websites say to use ground coffe (unused grounds) sprinkled around edges. They also mention citrus peels or scents, garlic cloves, predator urine, pipe tobacco, blood meal fertilizer, or vinegar. The neighbors will think you have lost your mind if you start spraying the area with lemon/orange scented air freshner.
But hey, I was desperate and got caught by the local police shaking ground pepper around. You do what you can that costs the least.

Try some of the simpler things to see if it will work. I wish you the best and understand what you are going through.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Really so even orange air freshener will work - or was that a joke.

I read somewhere to be careful with pepper because they can get it on their paws and then in their eyes and even get urine infections.... but I think that was more with cayan pepper.
The one thing I DONT Want to do is cause these guys pain - which i know none of us do - but just the thought of that makes me want to research it a bit more...... but who knows if i see one of them heading across the street again I may run out with my salt and pepper shakers.